Thursday Practice Report

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 12, 2019.

1. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Now ya'll got me worried. Being ready for the altitude with plenty of ox on tap is just the type of detail our staff would forget.

I still think we win, though.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  2. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Murphy looked like he has gained quickness. He was coming hard off the edge. Never saw that before; I thought he looked good.

3. Rodgarnay51

Sep 13, 2019
    I kind of do too. I worked for a company that had a plant in Logan, which is up the canyon from Provo. My first time there I didn't notice the altitude until I exercised. I hopped on the exercise bike (the one that works the arms too) the morning after I got there and it was a severe ass kicking. I felt light headed to the point where I had to go outside to catch my breath even though there was snow on the ground. I was in my 40s at the time but hadn't experienced anything like that at Sea Level. Another time I was visiting Colorado State to see if I wanted to go to college there and I played a game of basketball in the gym. I don't think it's as high in elevation as Provo and I was right out of high school, but it still got my attention. And they didn't call the Broncos stadium Mile High for nothing.

They're going to have to play a lot of players. Hope they are well-prepared.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  4. Rodgarnay51

Sep 13, 2019
    Thanks for providing this. I found this one interesting. If I read this correctly they can contact other programs before they even enter the portal!

Q: What actions can I take before providing my notification to transfer? A: Communication with the new school’s office of admissions is permissible. You also can contact other student-athletes at the school you are looking to transfer to, provided communication is not at the direction of the coach from that school.

5. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I do. Everytime. It's just that we also have to worry about freezing temps and wind chill since they always schedule the game late at night in November.

My personal experience with competition at high altitude is from many years ago. I used to compete in triathlons. One summer I decided to do a summer series of sprint triathlons at Big Bear Lake.

I decided it would be smart to go up a week before the first race and "practice" due to the altitude. I just about died -- the burning in the lungs was incredible and then I felt bad for a day or so afterward.

By the third and final race of that summer, I had a pretty good system down and the altitude was less of a factor for me. That's why most distance runners train year round at altitude if they can - even a few days to acclimate doesn't really give you a an even playing field in my opinion. But at least you are not at a severe disadvantage if you spend a few days acclimating.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Don't we play at Boulder every other year?....never before had I seen so many post about how high Provo is, how one day is not enough, what else are we going to find fault on the staff...c'mon now let's just enjoy the season

7. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Probably true. I did not have a team doctor and there was no internet to easily research it the first time I tried it.

8. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019

It would seem that we have had some pretty good success?

Provo=Boulder and we sure are not playing them late in the year.

I can understand your point about running at high altitude but we have seen very little affects of it during game time from our history at Colorado.

BYU will bring more physicality but I think the altitude will only give them a small advantage.

My hat is off to you for running a triathlon. Well done.

Rodgarnay51 and DaFireMedic like this.
  9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Regarding the high altitude, we are undefeated in Boulder and Provo in our football history. So I think it is going to be OK.

edit: hopefully I didn't jinx it.

USCTFL, Coopsc72, DJ4SC and 1 other person like this.
  10. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    this

11. cutlerdaddy

cutlerdaddy Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    I live here in Utah and BYU is within a dozen feet or so in elevation with the University of Utah and they are both about 700 ft lower than Boulder. SC plays at this elevation every year so I don't think it will be that big of a deal. Plus its really nice weather right now so not too hot or cold. I find the thin air is harder to breath when its really cold or really hot. It will be Perfect ass kicking weather tomorrow!

12. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Yeah, I'm not understanding this sites continued mention of that aspect, like its something foreign to USC.

13. george the tirebiter

george the tirebiter Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    But not Salt Lake City. We got ass kicked last year.

14. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I think is so much hate/dislike for Coach Helton that only thing they do is look for problems where is none....Do not take me as CCH fan.....he has made lots mistakes and has made good decisions......Is time to forget PC he is not coming back.......living in the past is what most hater give as a reason for poor AD choices....."hiring i house"..."hiring family..."..."loyalty to the past"....Garret, Haden Swann....is time to start discussing football....we are 2 games in ...is little light ahead...i want Helton to win that means OUR TEAM wins.....just one opinion for what is worth

15. USCTFL

USCTFL Junior Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Leading 24-0 at halftime will make breathing much easier.
    Especially for me.
    Fight On!