This kills me to say but we need to give Helton one more year and here's why

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TheUSCgangser, Nov 12, 2018.

1. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Helton needs to go now. USC is one of the top 5 storied programs in college football. Our expectations should be higher at USC.

Lucas likes this.
  2. ATR32

ATR32 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    No fucking way. The sooner the better that we can be rid of him, the better. The program is imploding and it's getting worse with each week.

Extremely disappointed in HCCH; he seemed to represent a remarkable improvement in character and demeanor (over the previous two clowns). Faith, Family, Football. Please. Faith? Clay probably still has some at this point. Family? It appears to be a fractured one, to say the least. Football? If we want to call it that.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    gubo&palanka and GoSC1 like this.
  3. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Normally, I would agree. You make a lot of very valid, strong points. I have been a very ardent Helton fan on this site - especially the first 2 years - until THIS year. When he was announced as head coach, I liked a lot of what he SAID he stood for, and how he brought stability to the program, and his recruiting prowess is without question.
    But the team has had lingering problems every year - the SAME problems - playing down to the level of the opponent, but not up (Alabama, Ohio State), the lack of physical practices, the lack of taking all the practices given to prepare. The verbal promises of a return to physicality and SC power football, and what do we get? Throw first on first down.
    ZERO improvement in a known and obvious issue - the Oline. A very strong and compelling - and now convincing argument to me, is that he won that Rose Bowl, and last years Pac 12 Championship, on the back of Sam Darnold. A qb who played his best when the play was broken - which it more often than not was! Our receivers got separation with Darnold as qb because he would scramble and extend the play, its tough to cover someone that long - eventually someone gets open. With JT, that isnt going to happen.
    Personally, I dont think we have a chance against ND, and probably even UCLA, unless we start Sears - who is more mobile. ND is going to blow up our OLINE. We all know it. JT is going to be a sitting duck. UCLA's lame defense is going to look like Alabama on Saturday - they will be revved up. This game saves their season - proves they were right in hiring Kelly.
    Will Helton start Sears? We know the answer to that.
    Yes, on paper, based on past accomplishments, Helton does deserve another year. I will be on board with that ONLY if he beats UCLA on Saturday, and makes ND work or even beats them.
    I am normally an optimistic man - I have been ridiculed by some on this board for it - but that Cal loss was extremely ugly. In my opinion, just as there are games that mark a program with being on the right track, there are losses that mark a program that is failing.
    To me, Cal was that loss. That Offense had NO BUSINESS scoring any points. And the immature chippiness and lack of self control by our players points only one place.
    As I said, unless Helton beats UCLA and gives ND a game, he must go, in my opinion. Even if he wins both, I'm not going to pen any support for him. If he has lost me........

4. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    No. Time to move on after this season.

Helton is leading us to the worst season in about 17 years. PC went 6-6 but that was his first year. There is no excuse for Helton in year 3 to go 5-7 or 6-6 especially with top 5 recruiting classes. If he would have won 8 games this year I would have given him a pass but it 's not just the losing but the way we lose. The penalties, the terrible 2nd half play, the lack of strategic adjustments, the soft preparation, the repeated "we will look at tape" excuse, etc.

Helton is who he is. Sam Darnold, Ronald Jones, Juju-Smith Schuster, Adoree Jackson, etc masked Helton's mediocrity the 1st 2 seasons. Helton should have had us in the CFP during the Darnold era.

Lucas, gubo&palanka and FightOn1992 like this.
  5. FightOn1992

FightOn1992 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    The only thing more exasperation than being a USC fan in terms of coaching is to also be a Dallas Cowboys season ticket holder. Essentially we have the Clay Helton of NFL coaches in Jason Garrett. The rumble here in Dallas is that Jerry Jones may swallow his pride if John Harbaugh becomes available and admit the mistake that is Garrett. This will obviously leave the Harbaugh option as a no go.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. FightOn1992

Nov 13, 2018
    I agree and am very worried that we have a "Jim Mora" recruiting class coming - there are no silver medals in recruiting and I think we are at risk of losing out late on a lot of key prospects.

7. FightOn1992

Nov 13, 2018
    My opinion was very similar to yours - the only difference is my "Canary in the Coal Mine" this year was the Arizona game - one that we actually won. That game was so flawed and represented the third time of blowing a double digit lead and a team that was looking for what would go wrong not right. Everything else you said I agree with - I HATE replacing coaches this frequently as we have at SC as I do think it is a risk that good coaches will be concerned on how much time they actually will get (like you said - from the outside Clay won a Rose and a P12 title and gets canned 12 months later ... I have my doubts how many outside of SC are noting the issues mentioned above). Also, we run a massive risk of another nonsensical hire like Sark (which in my opinion was the worst HIRE ever made .,.. the worst coach is still the one who preceded Pete).

Regardless - FIGHT ON always!

dbergusc likes this.
  8. Chase

Chase Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    This is such a canard. These are the same warmed-over argument we heard trying to justify giving Lane more and more time. Guess what? We fired Lane in the middle of sanctions and had Chris Petersen ready to take the job anyway.

Any coach worth his salt knows Clay never should have been hired in the first place. The Administration will be held in lower esteem by the smarts for keeping Clay around another year to further damage the program.

Ask any coach worth anything, and they would rather come in earlier, before the rot is allowed to fester even longer.

gubo&palanka and OC2SC like this.
  9. Chase

Chase Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    What makes you think the "dangers" of Hue, JDR and Charlie Strong will be any less next year?

Anyway ... Hue ain't getting hired. It would never be allowed to happen.

As for Charlie Strong, after starting out 7-0 (in taking over Taggart's 11-2 team), Strong is only 10-5 over his last 15 games .... and in the American Conference. His resume is a whole lot weaker than it was a month ago.

10. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    CPC started out 2-5 or 2-6--I forget which and am too lazy to google--but ended in a winning streak and it was clear that the team was improving, and that Norm had Carson P on a growth path. Not really a comparison with Helton. It was also clear that CPC was the sort of coach that players would come to USC to play for.

11. mark gabriel

mark gabriel Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Shows how stupid bruins are. And if a Trojan fan, even stupider.

12. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    He Gone!

13. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    You don't keep a coach around just to give yourself a year to conduct a coaching search. That's absurd.

Also, if we fire Helton this year we have an advantage in that as of now there aren't any other major college jobs expected to be open this offseason. Which makes us the obvious most attractive available job in the nation. Next year there could be other major jobs opening up.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    True, but are there attractive coaches? Last year, there was a plethora of good coaches available. This year? But, ya gotta roll the dice. If Helton stays, it would be financial suicide - that attendance at the Homecoming game was due largely to the fires - though some was. If Helton stays, the Coli will be essentially empty...... SC will have ZERO home field advantage, and that monstrosity of a tower, will be even a greater financial albatross.

15. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Ed Orgeron is a southern boy and LSU is his natural home. You're dreaming.

16. sadpanda

sadpanda Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    USC plays bama to start the 2020 season. Why give CH another year? It will at least take the players a year to get to know the new coaches system and culture. If we get a new coach at the end of this year, we would at least stand some sort of a chance against bama in 2020 rather than have the new coaches first game be against bama.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  17. Chase

Chase Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Anyone who is saying his primary target is Orgeron is basically saying, "It is more important to me to keep hiring guys who 'get SC' than it is to compete for national championships ... or even conference championships."

[​IMG]

18. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Nov 13, 2018
    There might not be a Saban or a Meyer where you're almost guaranteed success, but there are some good options. Matt Campbell has done a really good job at Iowa State. Former O line coach, played as a D lineman, and has built a good defense at ISU, I think he can instill physicality on both sides of the ball. Dino Babers has done a good job at Syracuse, has them in the top 15 for the first time in a long time. Would improve our offense a lot. Jeff Brohm is also a good offensive mind, although he might go to Louisville given all his connections to that program. If we go the coordinator route, Dave Aranda has been an elite DC for years and is from SoCal. I also wouldn't mind inquiring about Whittingham or Leach as backup options.

19. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 13, 2018
    I wondered about Jason Garrett's future with Dallas. After Sunday night, wonder if he now has a new lease on life.

20. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Nov 13, 2018
    My thoughts:
    1. Not sure where you're hearing these possibilities, but a good shrink might help you. No word from anywhere reliable about possible coaches because Helton is still coach.
    2. If you fire Helton, then do the search - you can still do a very good search. A good AD always is thinking about the next coach for a sport. Guarantee Swann is, or should be, thinking about the next coach for Andy Enfield, even with Andy being successful. I can't imagine a search when your current coach is still working for you?
    3. Auburn fired Gene Chizek within two years of winning an NC, and nobody was batting an eye over it. It's about the process being fair and Swann has done a nice job of giving Helton the chance to rearrange his staff to be more productive. Unfortunately, Clay is not highly respected by his peers (remember he wasn't named Coach of the Year in the Pac 12 when SC won the Pac 12?)
    4. Yes there are down years. ND had very specific issues when they went 4-8. The talent was there and certain coordinators didn't do a very good job. Kelly himself didn't do a very good job with the players. He came close to losing his job; if they didn't play well this year he would have been gone. SC has more global issues and this is more of a total collapse than a down year.
    If you don't think he's the right coach, fire him and move on.