The sad and scary reality

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by jvjls, Nov 7, 2020.

1. The sad and scary reality
    jvjls

jvjls Junior Member

Nov 7, 2020
    We've all seen this movie before. USC will lose to any quality team because they are so poorly coached. But because the PAC 12 is so weak, their talent will overwhelm the majority of their opponents. The team will finish with a respectable record and nothing will change. Any one with a brain will know USC is so far away from being elite, we will continue to lose 5 star recruits and the gap between us and greatness will continue to grow. That being said, Bohn and Folt don't have brains, or at least don't have a passion to make USC football great, so we are stuck with what we have. It breaks my heart to realize how far we are from our heritage and the people in charge don't get it.

2. Who's High Pitch?

Who's High Pitch? Points Member

Nov 7, 2020
    In a lot of ways, wins like today's hurt the program in the long run. It hurts to type that, as I wish for USC to win every game.

jjg4sc, gubo&palanka, USC1988 and 2 others like this.
  3. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Pyrric victory for sure.

This is like getting a passing grade on a test you didn't study for because the teacher was sloppy and somehow left the answer sheet in plain view.

jjg4sc, Jay4usc and USC1988 like this.
  4. trojan9999

trojan9999 Junior Member

Nov 7, 2020
    I see it more as answering C on every question and somehow passing. At some point, luck runs out and the cold reality take over.

bremillard likes this.
  5. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Couldn't agree more. This was a bad day for SC football.

USC1988 likes this.
  6. AtownSC

AtownSC Points Member

Nov 7, 2020
    What happens to our Dline once Marlon is gone?

We're nowhere near elite on both our lines.

bob c in az and TrojanDave85 like this.
  7. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Marlon was a beast today! It finally feels like he’s going to have that breakout year that I expected of him when he signed with us. That was a monster DT class with Tufele, Pili and Tuipulotu, and I expected all three of them to be All PAC first/second teasers by last year. But as I’ve said before, back surgeries are a helluva thing to overcome. Hoping we are seeing Marlon truly becoming the Big Fish.

jjg4sc likes this.
  8. TrojanSigma

TrojanSigma Junior Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Worst part is I wanted Helton to lose all the games this season. Hoping that it may move the needle and get us a new coach.

USC1988 likes this.
  9. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Why would you ever WANT that?

What I want, in any given season, is for USC to win every game, regardless of who is coach. If a coach loses enough, he'll get canned on his own (de)merits.

J4SC75 and The Lizard King like this.
  10. TroyCAM

TroyCAM Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    I chuckle and wonder what this mash of verbal diarrhea would of been like if this virtual board banter had existed in 1969?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  11. USC1988

USC1988 Points Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Cold reality set in a long time ago ... this buffoon lost to the freaking Iowa Hawkeyes by 40 !

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Spoken like a true hater who pulls for USC losses in the hope it will get Helton fired. Not the behavior of a True Trojan.

13. SC-88

SC-88 Points Member

Nov 8, 2020
    It is like having a terrible teacher who thinks he knows the subject, but is completely incompetent and is being protected from angry parents by the Principal and the union boss. In spite of being fed misinformation, the class is smart enough to pass their test without the help of the teacher. Now the principal can point to the class passing as proof the teacher isn't incompetent after all.

Peete2Affholter and USC1988 like this.
  14. USC1988

USC1988 Points Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Oh, the Georgie Bush ‘be a good citizen’ crap. Some of us like good products, real USC football. Not this Gomer Hilton garbage. Nice try.

15. USC1988

USC1988 Points Member

Nov 8, 2020
    5-7 should had gotten this idiot fired ... drubbed at home by Oregon and that Holiday Bowl embarrassment vs a slow, average, Iowa team, should had gotten Gomer fired. His stupid comments, as usual, after yesterday’s slop job should get him fired.
    This clown, when it’s finally over, will never be the HC at a major program again. Unless, a stupid school like Ole Miss, is desperate.

TrojanMafia likes this.
  16. MiketoBush61

MiketoBush61 Points Member

Nov 8, 2020
    You know, I too am not a Helton fan. But, I am a USC fan. The program has undergone a lot of change. I don't know the ages of any of the above posters, but, being in the field with high school students I can tell you they don't view it the same way you do. In other words, the student-athletes that USC is going after will just look at the fact that USC won, that they won in dramatic fashion, that a newcomer (McCoy) got right in the mix in his first game and that sophomores such as Slovis, London and Stepp were out there showing what they got. They don't actually look at the games the same way the fans do. As such, we, as fans should not mirror the societal schism that exists in our country today-which, IMHO, usually does nothing but promote paralysis.

Criticism is fine. You don't like the offense, you want more running, the defense has tackling issues, the LB corps was lacking, etc., etc., that's all good. But attacking the incumbent coach after a getting a miraculous win (and, yes, it was one) regardless of whether you feel he was the architect or just the beneficiary of good luck, does nothing to encourage recruits to come; in fact, it can discourage some as again, it's about them, not us and recruits are coming because of the staff. You may argue that we're not getting the highest rated recruits now; and, haven't been, but a new sheriff doesn't guarantee a return to the "good old days." Oregon (all the cool toys they have) is now the leader in recruiting. You start beating them and in a really downtrodden Pac 12 (UCLA is almost dead, Stanford on the decline, Washington treading water, Utah can't get 4 & 5 stars, etc., etc.) USC will rise again and get more of the top recruits.

If it looks like Helton could be gone (due to all the ruckus from fans) then they will not come because they are building relationships with the current assistants and they know that if a new HC gets the job, and, especially if it's a good one (say an Urban Meyer), he will clean house and bring in his people as very rarely are assistants from the previous staff retained.

We are not exceptionally talented in the areas that the west is traditionally lacking in: Offensive and defensive linemen, and I don't see why people would want to jeopardize everything currently, instead of making the best of it and letting it play out.

Again, I did not see why they rehired Helton, but, while he is in charge of the team I will support him. You don't have to like him, but failure to support him is the same as not supporting the team and it has a negative effect on the social media savvy kids...

GoSC1 likes this.
  17. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Damn... this is one of the best posts ever written on this board, in my opinion. Nice!

18. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Doubt any recruits go to fansites, lol. Internet is just for funny laughs.

19. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Nov 8, 2020
    I've always maintained Clay deserved a fair chance. After the 5-7 season I thought it was time for him to be fired but he wasn't. The following season the team improved and the new AD kept him. Commenting that despite the dramatic win over ASU that Helton should be fired is sheer stupidity. images (49).jpeg

20. SC87

SC87 Points Member

Nov 8, 2020
    I agree that this was mostly a false positive win. Like the Rams 5-3 record, when you beat an inferior team it doesn't mean all that much in the long run. This team would lose to any elite team by 20 or more points and get pushed off the field. Not much talent, average coaching, and not very physical. Beyond a couple of skill players, it is a very average team. A bubble top 25 team.