The Return Of Soccer And The USC Women

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by bell, Sep 2, 2019.

1. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Nov 8, 2019
    ucla has been USC's kryptonite in soccer in recent years

#14 ucla 4
    #9 SC 2

2. bell

bell Points Member

Nov 8, 2019
    THIS IS WHAT I'VE COME TO EXPECT OF COACH MCALPINE'S TEAM

It was the last match of the regular season of the women’s soccer but I was too disenchanted by what I was seeing to watch the whole match. In my humble opinion, it’s time to call out coach McAlpine. There seems to be something about him that goes timid when he goes against teams like UCLA and Stanford. At this rate, I can’t see him winning the big one unless he has an overwhelming edge in talent. That was the template for the 2016 championship. It's disappointing because USC and UCLA have comparable talent this year and prior.

What I saw was what I’d always seen his teams do in situations like this – retreat into his own half and concede acres of real estate to the opponent. It wasn’t because he was playing on the road. It wasn’t because of the absence of leading scorer Tara McKeown, or because it was a UCLA home match. I see this year in year out and I was expecting a performance like this. In the parts I watched, UCLA completely dominated individually and as a team. While UCLA was racking up corner kicks, I saw NONE for USC. I’m not sure how he expects to beat an opponent when all the play is in his own half.

I think USC was lucky to limit the scoreline to 4-2. It was hard to see how USC was going to score because the few forays into UCLA territory did not occur with numbers. Similarly, I was surprised that UCLA was limited to four goals given that they spent much of the match in USC territory. This is all my perception and I’d love to have a moment with the coach to see if there are things I’m seeing wrong.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Horrible 2nd half. Despite the 4 goals, our goalie prevented a route IMO.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    USC women's soccer team earned a No. 2 national seed and will host Cal State Fullerton on Saturday at 1 pm in the opening round.

The Trojans, who finished the regular season 14-4-1 and ranked No. 9 in the Coaches Poll, are making their 18th postseason appearance overall and sixth straight under Head Coach Keidane McAlpine. USC has never missed the NCAA Tournament since McAlpine was hired in 2014.

Cal State Fullerton comes into the postseason with a 14-2-4 record, earning the Big West's automatic bid with a win in the conference tournament. The Trojans own a 6-2-4 record against the Titans, with the teams last playing in the opening round of the 2015 NCAA Tournament, a game that ended in a 3-3 tie and saw USC advance on penalty kicks.

5. bell

bell Points Member

Nov 11, 2019
    ONLY DUCKS, BEAVERS & DEVILS OF THE PAC XII LEFT OUT, OTHERWISE...

...the conference sent nine teams into the tournament of 64, a major accomplishment. The highest ranked team in the bracket is North Carolina at #3, the truest of blue bloods in women's college soccer. Cal (who beat us) and Santa Clara (who beat UCLA) are also in the bracket. So are the Buffs of the PAC XII. Michigan could be a dark horse. With luck and strategy, we could win all of our matches and meet UCLA in the semi's, if I'm reading the brackets correctly (https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/soccer-women/d1/2019, https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/soccer-women/d1/2019). But there are definitely impediments on the way and coach McAlpine needs to adopt a bolder strategy. The semi's and finals are at Avaya I San Jose. Rankings as Nov 4: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-women/d1/united-soccer-coaches

6. bell

bell Points Member

Nov 16, 2019
    TROJANS SCALE FIRST HURDLE, VICTIMIZING NEIGHBORS CS FULLERTON ALONG THE WAY

Match was scoreless in the first half although Trojans played with the confidence and elegance indicating they were a class above their opponents. However, the only two corner kicks of the first half were to the Titans, belying the fact that the Trojans had more chances in the half. USC played this match without leading Trojan scorer and all-conference first teamer, Tara McKeown, who was allegedly dressed and available.

Six goals were scored in the second half, five of them by the Trojans to end the match 5-1. The first three were by the other all conference performer, soph Penelope Hocking, all inside the eighteen, one each from the right, left and middle. All three were assisted by junior Alea Hyatt. The fourth goal was by freshman Savianna Gomez, all 5’0” of her, right near the goal line. Don’t let her lack of physical gifts fool you, Gomez is a promising and decorated forward and I’m eager to see what she’ll do as she adjusts to college ball. Hocking got her fourth goal later on, this time unassisted. I’m sure the Trojan defenders would have preferred a shut out but the Titans got a consolation goal to take home.

Conference seems to be doing well so far. UCLA Friday beat Lamar (4-1) while the Buffs hammered Northern Colorado, 6-0.

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Hocking's four goals and one assist matched the program record for goals scored and set a new record for points in a game.

Highlights..

Next up is TA&M...good record but they seem to struggle on the road.

8. bell

bell Points Member

Nov 23, 2019
    USC vs TAM WAS A GOOD MATCH

TAM had a good team and the outcome was in doubt till the end after TAM scored early in the 2nd half to bring them within one goal tying things. USC had some breakaways which could have settled the matter but couldn't convert any. TAM had many forays also but the combination of good defending and goalkeeping by USC frustrated them.

USC''s next opponent, Santa Clara, should be taken seriously. They're a good program and upset UCLA in September, 2-1. Should USC win I believe the bracket places them on track to meet UCLA. Not superstitious, but I think it was about the same stage SC beat UCLA to win it all for the first time in 2007.

Not sure what happened to Cal but the conference is doing well with UCLA, Wash St, Stanford also advancing. In fact, the Cougars upset #1 seed Virginia, 4-3, UCLA smashed Clemson (in the real football), 5-0 and Stanford beating somebody, 4-0.

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Up 1-0 at halftime.

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 24, 2019
    The Women of Troy advance to the round of 8 with a 1-0 shutout of Santa Clara. First time Santa Clara has been held scoreless all season. Natalie Ward had her first goal of the season...it started with a corner that was headed by the defense, and Natalie took the rebound directly off her foot and absolutely drilled a shot high from just outside the box.

USC moves on to face the #1 seed in the bracket, North Carolina. On the other half of that bracket, Florida State will play the winner of ucla and Wisconsin, playing right now. In the other bracket, Stanford looks to be playing BYU while unseeded Washington State will be facing #2 South Carolina.

So far, the only #1 seed to not make it out of their bracket is Virginia. Washington State is the big surprise, making it to the final 8 as an unseeded team. Have to laugh at Furd beating Prairie View in their first game, 15-0. Ridiculous. Prairie View clearly did not belong in the tournament.

Fight On Women of Troy!

norcalsurfer likes this.
  11. norcalsurfer

Nov 29, 2019
    SC leads UNC 1-0 (Penelope Hocking, 17')

12. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Nov 29, 2019
    Tied 1-1 at half. UNC with a late first half goal. UNC controlling possession as expected.

13. norcalsurfer

Nov 29, 2019
    UNC leads 2-1 (Brianna Pitino, 55')

14. norcalsurfer

Nov 29, 2019
    SC ties it up

USC 2 UNC 2 (Natalie Jacobs, 63')

15. norcalsurfer

Nov 29, 2019
    UNC leads 3-2 (Maycee Bell, 69')

16. norcalsurfer

Nov 29, 2019
    3-2 UNC final

17. bell

bell Points Member

Nov 29, 2019
    IT'S OVER FOR THE TROJANS, LOSING 2-3 TO NC, BUT...

...no need to look for scapegoats here. NC, with homefield advantage, dominated and the Trojan defenders did their best to fend them off much of the match. One mistake I'd like to highlight came in the last goal for NC. The goal came off the NC player that USC Samantha Bruder was guarding. For some reason, Bruder chose to play to her outside instead of inside. While they were jockeying for position, I thought she might correct her positioning but she never did. She was behind the NC player when the free kick got in and she (the NC player) had a free header for the third and final goal of the match.

If SC had won this match, they'd would be meeting the winner of the S. Carolina/Wash St match (result pending) with USC favored in the final 4 against either. That'd would have taken them to the final to go against the Stanford/UCLA winner. Stanford walloped a one-time #1 BYU, 5-1, which I believe is BYU's first/only loss of the season. UCLA was very impressive drubbing FL St, a very good team, for the second time this season, 4-0, on the road. (USC also beat Fl, St at the beginning of the season). I pick Stanford to go all foes all the way, beating UCLA in the semi-final and the winner of S. Carolina/Wash St in the final.

What next for the Trojans? Simply, I think coach McAlpine needs to restock, especially at the defensive side where they'll miss seniors Ashleigh Plumptre and Julia Bingham. The good news is that both Hocking and McKeown return and they'll be joined by MF Savannah DiMelo who missed the entire season to injury. Some consider DiMelo the best talent on the team. Returing also will be keeper Collins who should by then put her in-season injury behind her. Some of the younger redshirting players and those sidelined due to injuries would need to step up.

USC will probably lose some players to transfer, but then take in some transfers as well. A good recruiting haul, especially, if they can provide immediate impact is almost welcome. I'd be looking for big, burly and physical defenders and midfielders. Another place to poach for capable players is foreign nations (in Europe, N./S. America, Africa, etc) where the prospect of getting a great education while continuing their playing career may be attractive.

For the coaching staff a review of this year's matches and where the coaches could have adopted a more effective approach. For the admin, maybe make some improvements at MacAllister field to attract recruits and fans.

On the whole the team did better than I expected given the available talent but I though a favorable seeding could get them far. They got the favorable seeding but fell a little short to NC, the bluest of blue bloods in women's soccer. Maybe in any sport at the college or pro level in America.

18. bell

bell Points Member

Nov 30, 2019
    POSTCRIPT

A USC win would have made it an all-PAC XII Final Four with 3 CA teams to be played in CA. As it is now, I'm picking Stanford to win it all.