The Return Of Soccer And The USC Women

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by bell, Sep 2, 2019.

1. triphotrod

triphotrod Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Collins was not with team. Jessica Haidet was there she did not appear to be hurt. She was a starting def. all last year. Wonder why she has not been getting playing time?

bell likes this.
  2. bell

bell Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    RIGHT...

...I haven't seen Collins since they took on the Florida schools late August and I'm not sure what the reason is. Back up Smith is improving and gaining invaluable experience but Collins might be needed down the road - there's a reason she was all-conference in 2018.

3. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Collins just came in the second half against cal. The commentators just said she has been dealing with an injury and has missed 11 games. She is wearing the padded headwear. I don’t remember her wearing it in the past, so I’m guessing a major concussion.

4. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 18, 2019
    RIGHT, BUT COLLINS NOTWITHSTANDING...

...it was a nightmarish match for USC, conceding three goals and being shut out. While not blaming her for the goals, she looked like someone in unfamiliar surroundings. That said, it was nice to see her out there and hope she picks up where she left off last season. Good job subbing by Anna Smith.

This Cal team upset UCLA a few weeks ago and having seen them play here and there I thought they could pose a problem. SC seemed to dominate early on to my surprise but couldn't convert opportunities to goal. As sometimes happens in sports when the favorites fail to take advantage of their chances, the underdogs respond and capitalize on what few chances they have. That's what Cal did with one goal in the first half and two in the second. The recent loss to top ranked Stanford wasn't that lopsided.

I think coach McAlpine needs to go back and watch the tape and see what went wrong. What he sees must be what I've been seeing - a lack of intensity by the players and that fighting spirit characteristic of a team that wants it real badly. From my perspective, it seems the team is missing that element and a loss doesn't seem to bother them that much. You are who you are so this is a trait they made need to acquire to achieve what I think is their goal - a national championship. They don't enjoy overwhelming superiority in talent to win it that way.

5. SoccerMom55

SoccerMom55 New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Anna Smith isn’t just a sub she was ranked #4 in the nation as a gk coming into SC and had more accolades than most. She was 2nd in Pac-12 in saves and voted PAC 12 gk of the week twice just this year. Not a fly by night keeper. Just saying

6. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 22, 2019
    WITH ONLY TWO LOSSES & A TIE...

...the USC record isn't that bad so there isn't that much blame to pass around. And where the team didn't perform to the level Trojans would want, Anna Smith wasn't the only culprit. As a matter of fact, the worst outing (vs Cal last week) where the team conceded three goals while scoring zero was the match in which the regular Collins came in in the second half, was sort of erratic and the team conceded two of the three goals.

The temporary loss of Collins gave Smith a chance to develop which she would otherwise never have had. I saw her improve throughout, beginning to be more assertive and take command of her box while yelling instructions at team mates. That said, I think some goals were conceded in matches played so far in which the more seasoned Collins just may have saved. An area of clear weakness (same with Collins) is her goal kick most of which didn't make it close to the half line. That's definitely something she has to work on.

7. SoccerMom55

SoccerMom55 New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Agree but as we also know the back line is nowhere near what it was and the middle struggles a lot. Regarding kicks if you mean free kicks I would respectfully disagree with both keepers. If you are referencing punts, it’s no longer the standard. US Soccer has trained them to play it from their feet as another field player and not to punt given the 50/50 shot of winning or losing. Anna Smith is exemplary in this area and a key to her recruitment and 6-7 call ins to US National camps over the years. An area I agree with immensely is the fire to win. And they need a scoring alternative to McKeown and Hocking as evidenced in the way they are being double and triple teamed. As in basketball that means someone else is open. I feel this is critical to spreading the d back to a more 1 v 1 mark

8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Very true. Even the rules for youngers have changed so as to avoid the inevitable headers that come from punts.

That transition from primary scoring to being double-teamed, requiring pass-backs and building is a tough one for strikers. They want to create shots and take shots....sometimes they get caught up in trying to dribble around and through everyone. Meanwhile the other players who haven't been taking that role are also transitioning. And during that process, I think the fire to win tends to dissipate a bit. I also think we used to do better with the outside backs bringing the ball up.

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Disappointing outcome yesterday especially AT HOME. USC hasn't scored a goal in 3 games. If they slip much further, post-season could be a vacation instead.

10. SoccerMom55

SoccerMom55 New Member

Oct 28, 2019
    They scored 3 goals against Washington State last Thursday.

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 28, 2019
    They did. Thank you for the correction....read it backwards. I missed the game yesterday....what is your take?

12. SoccerMom55

SoccerMom55 New Member

Oct 28, 2019
    It was not good. Too much pressure on Tara and Penelope and they were shut down. Intensity compared to Huskies was visibly low and continued unforced errors at gk and defense. They fell out of top 10 in both polls and the RPI. Hope the season can be turned around quickly.

13. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 28, 2019
    HUSKIES VASTLY UNDERRATED

Like a bad stock, I've downgraded USC's prospects of winning a championship this year and a major upgrade would be needed to improve their chances in the next few years - either outstanding freshmen/redshirters and/or impactful transfers. Their two best defenders, Plumptre and Bingham, are seniors and I'm not sure who their replacements will be meaning an average defense could be worse. With Hocking a soph and McKeown a junior, plus the return of DeMelo, the offense could be better or remain the same. Ditto the goalkeeping.

It used to be that SC would create chances but couldn't convert their chances to goal. I saw the later part of the first half and all of the second and there weren't many chances pleading to be converted. The UDub sturdy defense had a lot to do with that. UCLA at home beat these Huskies by a lone goal so they are a very good team deserving of high ranking.

Down by a goal into the second half, USC had hopes of equalizing and maybe winning in overtime until the second goal off a long freekick. I was surprised that starting keeper Collins was beaten that easily making one question if she's still trying to get back to game shape. People have questioned the physicality of the team but I thought they'd never played harder and I wouldn't fault them for that. The coach said the fall to the Huskies wasn't something that couldn't be fixed but I'd like to see that. Some of the fears I I'd seen in the team were confirmed.

The balance of the schedule has the Beavers, Ducks (both winnable) and UCLA all on the road. I would not put my money on SC against UCLA because they always seem (maybe it's just my perception) to be more determined than us. One dim chance USC may have is if the matchup just favored the Huskies, a physical bunch. In that case, SC could do well with a favorable seeding and matchup.

14. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 28, 2019
    ACTUALLY...

...I meant the goalkick - where the defending gets the ball on the six yard box after the attacking team sends the ball out of bounds over the goal line. Smith's kick was so bad I had myself wishing a defender like Ashleigh Plumptre who has a beautiful stroke should be taking them. Otherwise, as an opposing coach, I'd have my players flood the SC half during goalkicks knowing that the ball would drop well before the half line.

15. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 31, 2019
    SC beats Oregon @Eugene 1-0

Oregon St on Sunday at 1 PM

16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Doesn't look like the game against the Beavs is airing, not even online. I can get "live stats"....lame.

17. SoccerMom55

SoccerMom55 New Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I don’t believe so not even via sling that I can see.

18. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Women's soccer beat OSU 1-0

19. rawla

rawla New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    After watching the players just completely give up vs Oregon at home. It’s apparent that they’ve mailed it in. Helton won’t be back. I’m taking {Arizona St}. Helton still won’t be fired until the end of the year for some reason. He’d step down if he knew what was best. He’s only hurting this team.

20. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Uh, this is a Women's soccer thread. FYI, the Women of Troy played asu last month and came away with a 2-1 win.