The Return Of Soccer And The USC Women

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by bell, Sep 2, 2019.

1. The Return Of Soccer And The USC Women
    bell

bell Points Member

Sep 2, 2019
    IN CASE YOU’VE NOT BEEN WATCHING...

...soccer is back and so are the Trojan women. They’ve had a few local matches and two more in Hawaii, all of which (surprise, surprise) they won. An early test came this past Friday and Sunday when they and UCLA co-hosted the FL pair of FSU and UF. (I’m sure there’s as much love between the FL pair as there is between USC and UCLA).

In the first of Friday’s doubleheader at the new Banc of California Stadium, home of the LAFC, #4 UCLA defeated the NCAA defending champion and #1-ranked FSU, 2–1. In the second game. USC took out unranked UF, 3-1 with two goals from emerging scorer Tara McKeown in either half, and one from Arlie Jones in the first. In a goal for USC was backup keeper Anna Smith, subbing for All-Conf performer, Kaylie Collins, who was unavailable.

Sunday was the real test for USC when they took on FSU in the first of the doubleheader at Westwood. FSU kicked off but quickly fell behind when McKeown got hold of the ball and raced to the FSU end for the first goal. All within 35 seconds! No word if that is a USC record for early goal. Right after that, FSU laid siege in the USC end like an ominous rainy cloud. I feared that if that if things didn’t change it wouldn’t end up well for USC. Right then, FSU scored within 11 minutes off a corner kick when a Seminole slotted a loose ball past the left side of keeper Smith near the post.

Right then, it looked like the siege was lifted and it became a back-and-forth until McKeown scored again on a header to make the score 2-1, SC at the end of the first half. In the second half, FSU scored on a curling shot from outside the penalty box that went through the upper right corner of the goal to tie things up at 2-2.

This was a game FSU was determined to win to leave CA with a split and to maintain and justify its #1 ranking. I have only seen a handful of matches but FSU’s ranking may not be undeserved. The match went into overtime at 2-2 and both sides were doing the give-and-take. Finally, a striker we may be hearing more from this year, Penelope Hocking got the ball and raced in a determined manner, fending of a Seminole defender before putting the ball past the keeper to end the match at 3-2.

In the second match UCLA beat UF 2-0 to send the FL teams home winless, conceding 10 goals and scoring four.

USC will probably play the whole season without its most decorated player, Savannah DeMelo who’s out with an Achilles injury. Daria Petredes, whose career at SC has been plagued by injuries is also out, along with a few others. However, the team seems to have depth, a nice combination of youth and experience but, in my opinion, lacks the one or two players who can be counted on to make things happen. Also, good as the defense is, I still long for the last championship winning one.

One player you won’t hear much of is senior central defender Ashleigh Plumtree. The England player's experienced, is not easily beaten, has a good soccer IQ, and seems to run tirelessly. I say you won’t hear much about her but I’d be worried if I don’t see her in the lineup.

I like coach McAlpine but sometimes, it seems (maybe it’s just my perception) he seems to play some of the top teams showing them too much respect.

The West and the PAC XII is well-represented in the top 25 with Stanford, USC’s next opponent and conference opener, coming in as #3 and WSU #23. This region is currently doing well in women’s soccer and I hope they don’t lose it to other regions like they’ve done in too many sports.

Friday Aug 30 (Banc of California Stadium)
    UCLA 2, FSU 1
    USC 3, UF 1

Sunday Sep 1 (Westwood)
    USC 3, FSU 2
    UCLA 2, UF 0

CrownoftheValley and SC in DE like this.

2. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Nice writeup! Not a soccer fan in general but I do follow the SC women.

3. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Sep 2, 2019
    I saw scores on espn and didn’t realize the season had started. Stopped by Banc stadium on the way to the Showcase. Beautiful venue. Wish I liked soccer. Oh well.

Go Women of Troy!!

4. bell

bell Points Member

Sep 3, 2019
    I UNDERSTAND NOT EVERYONEWOULD LOVE SOCCER, BUT...

...if the reason you don't like soccer is because you have never paid much attention in the past, possibly because you've been listening to the close-minded naysayers, this might be an opportunity to see things for yourself and make up your mind. It can't hurt that the Trojans are in the discussion for a national championship again this year. You can se their home matches at McAlister Field almost for free or on TV. Or you may pick up a soccer ball and try to do some of the stuff you've seen players do. Who knows, it could be an eye-opener.

(Just read that our own Tara McKeown has just been named conference and national player of the week for her exploits against the FL schools).

5. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Sep 4, 2019
    No indictments intended here, soccer just isn’t my preferred sport. I wasn’t raised with it and do not know its nuances. That’s all. I hope our ladies do great and add another title to their resume.

uscvball likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    We play the Cornhuskers in 1 hour at home. Can only watch on Pac12 Plus Livestream. Booo!

I never played soccer but my daughter did and it does make a difference when you understand the game. A couple years ago, Kidane was out in Norco scouting a tournament and a friend of mine thought he was going to talk to him on his daughter's behalf. I followed just to listen in and laugh. Kidane shut that down pretty quick, lol. He knows exactly what personnel he wants.

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Uhhhh....note to Pac12 Plus game announcers.....you idiots are STILL ON MIC at halftime! I am hearing your f-bombs, and dismantling of a teacher you don't like, listening to you eat.....apparently one of you likes the french fries. Nervous about the play-by-play but "we work well in tandem". Finally, someone turned your sound off. How embarrassing and unprofessional.

Hunter Patterson, USC grad school for Journalism.....do better!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    CrownoftheValley likes this.
  8. bell

bell Points Member

Sep 15, 2019

THANKS FOR CHIMING IN uscvball

I totally agree. Sometimes, knowing the rules helps. Hope you can take your daughter to one of the matches at MacAlister. As we speak, the young ladies are 7 - 0 for the season with an away trip to dis-ranked Baylor next. The last win this past weekend was a 3-2 overtime win against at Seattle. USC dominated but ended with a low conversion rate while Seattle efficient on the few chances they had.

The toughest test will come when #2 Stanford rolls into town September 28. Stanford's always been good but I was shocked by a report I saw (to be verified) that they wiped S. Francisco out 9-0 (probably at home). For comparison, USC defeated SF 2-0 but in Hawaii. If true, I want to see if there were any special circumstances. I was more shocked the Cardinal was upset 1-0 this past weekend by unranked Pepperdine at Malibu.

Another shocker happened when UCLA visited dis-ranked Santa Clara and were rebuffed, 2-0, dropping them below the Trojans.

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 17, 2019
    My daughter is now a freshman in college but we went to quite a few games over the last several years. She also attended the USC Soccer Camp as a rising high school freshman. It was a strange moment for me since I lived in Troy Hall as a student. Would never have imagined that the balcony I looked out of would one day be the place my daughter would practice soccer.

We know 3 girls on that Pepperdine team. They are pretty solid. Pepperdine knocked USC out of first-round post-season play a few years back. The talent on CA rosters is crazy good right now.

norcalsurfer and trackdude like this.
  10. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 17, 2019

Cardinal Gardens was great because it was right across Lyon Center and closer to Parkside but Troy Hall was awesome because it was not too far from Frat Row and Spudnuts/Chanos.

Also unbelievable that nearby is now the soccer field. How times change.

11. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Sep 17, 2019
    My girl just did her first "high school" age summer camp. she had a blast with the other big girls.

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Awesome! USC runs the best camp and it's not even close. They limit the number of participants, they start on time, they go the full time, and the coach (s) are in attendance for all of it, giving direct feedback. At least that was our experience. They took the girls in to the locker room at lunch and they got to ask the players questions.

We have a lot of camp experience, both individual school types and the larger ones with multiple schools and none came close to what USC does. UCSB was one of the worst.

13. Coconut_coverage

Sep 18, 2019
    Yes it is really good. She had done the youngers camp the past 3 years. She’s on a first-name basis with some of the players who were freshman her first two years at camp. That makes going to the games fun when we can make it down there since she gets attention from them.

Kidane is excellent with the kids too.

When her club team plays in a tournament, she usually remembers a couple of girls from camp.

Two years ago after the USC / ucla match, Natalie went over to talk to Kaylie Collins. While we were waiting we got introduced to Kaylie's mom. When Natalie came back, Kaylie's mom asked her "Natalie, what is your plans when you grow up? Do you want to be on the Woman's soccer team for the World Cup?". Without hesitation, Natalie said "No, I want to be a Disney Imagineer".

uscvball likes this.
  14. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Sep 18, 2019
    My daughter went to a club ID camp this summer at UCSB. It was rough. She's only 11 the other girls were 12 & 13. She didn't fare well and had a bout of her Osgood Schlatters during the camp. In the end I think it was good for her. The coaches were all employees of the Bayern Munich youth system so she received some positive and critical feedback from some real pros. In the end one girl was chosen to go train in Munich, 9 from across the country. Hope to be invited back next year when she is on a better age footing.

Would love to know more about the USC camp for the future ( although we do live in central Oregon).

15. Coconut_coverage

Sep 18, 2019
    USC provides three summer camps...

1) ID camp (55 capacity)
    2) overnight camp (one session 5th to 7th grade; the other session 8th thru high school; 110 capacity)
    3) full day and half day camp (over the course of a week).

Natalie did the overnight camp rather than an ID camp. she is pretty set on not wanting to worry about soccer as a means or "in" to a college. she is pretty high on academics, thank goodness.

I don't know much about the ID camp. If it is run like the other camps, it should be good.

https://trojansocceracademy.com/

I will say.... Natalie knows the EVK dining hall pretty well and totally understands why we called it EVilKitchen back in the day.

16. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Thank you

17. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    A couple thoughts....

The UCSB camp we attended was put on by UCSB, not a club ID deal. The UCSB coaches were around somewhat in the mornings and almost not all in the afternoons. The girls got very little feedback. Although there were lots of coaches from other smaller (Div II, III, NAIA) schools and 2 of the girls from our club team who also happened to be there ended up signing with one of them. Just for me as a parent, writing the check, I didn't see the value.

UC Irvine puts on a camp. WAY too many kids, almost no individual feedback, poorly run, finished early. Bad experience.

My daughter did attend an ID camp out in Norco a couple years ago. A lot of girls but very well run. There were a ton of Div 1 coaches and the girls all got quite a bit of individual feedback. There was even "classroom" time each day. At the end of the camp they received an online rating and lengthy summary about strengths, things to work on, attitude, all of it. It wasn't cheap but by far the best value.

Still think Keidane runs the best camp out there.

Sam Bam likes this.
  18. bell

bell Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    GREAT READ, ALL

Now don't forget, the Trojans are on the road to Baylor in less than two hours - ESPNU. Go ladies!!!

19. triphotrod

triphotrod Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    My point of view from being at the game last night. First of all Baylor's goalie played out of her mind last night. I agree with Keidane on what he said after the game. https://twitter.com/USC_WSoccer/status/1175224653821775872?s=20
    USC's back line needed some help and he made that change in the overtime. Baylor kept subbing there forwards had them switching sides. Julia Bingham played her ass off Baylor was running her up and down the field. In overtime he brought in Soto,Hyatt,and Bruder to help with the def. That pretty much stoped Baylor. My opinion he should have made that change sooner. Hocking and Mckeown are special they seem to know how to find each other. Hocking has another gear that is very impressive. Fight On Beat the trees

20. bell

bell Points Member

Sep 22, 2019
    OH, HOW I LONG FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING DEFENSE OF 2017

One of several things that could keep this year's team from the championship is the lack of defensive knowhow and fortitude. Up by two going into the second half, they couldn't seal the deal, giving up two quick goals at the beginning of the second half to allow a tie after OT. I saw how, in pursuit, they gave wide berth to the attacking players instead of closing in like laser and leaving no space between them and the attacking opponents. I saw how slowly some of them reacted when the opponents were launching attacks. And when they won the ball back, they kept passing it around in their own end, achieving no major advantage but creating danger. On top of all of that, the keeper is the backup (not sure what happened to All-PacXII Collins) and is still building experience and confidence. By contrast, championship edition played with visible cockiness knowing they could always win the ball back and initiate the attack. And when that failed, one of the best keepers in the country than was there to clean up. And now a major text in form of Stanford will be in town next.

BTW, Baylor I believe was once ranked and I'm not sure why they were dis-ranked: they ought to be there.

Sam Bam likes this.