The LA Times and Night Games

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Conquest4ever1981, Nov 16, 2016.

1. The LA Times and Night Games
    Conquest4ever1981

Conquest4ever1981 Junior Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I have to admit I am a little disappointed that kickoff for the bRuins game is at 7:30. I no longer subscribe to any newspaper because I get my information off the web, however after a nice USC win I will purchase the day after game LA Times because I enjoy relishing Trojans victories reading about it with that paper and coffee in my hand. With a 7:30 start it is almost a certainty because the LA Times operates in the dark ages that the Sunday sports will only have a partial score edition, then the Monday edition will have a very abbreviated recap of the game.

2. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I subscribed to the Times for years. I only subscribe to the Sunday edition now as I need my SC fix. I know I can get off the web but I enjoy seeing the actual front page of the sports section when SC wins. Sunday only subscription is pretty cheap. I cancelled my full week sub as the Times is just a left wing rag.

3. MU5CLE

MU5CLE Junior Member

Nov 16, 2016
    The good ol' days, of Jim Murray and John Hall writing for the LA Times. Those days were the best in descriptive sportswriting. Jim retired and John left for the OC Register, then the internet took over and papers are still trying to adapt.

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 16, 2016
    During their glory years (murray, hall, malamud etc) it was fun reading the sports section. but I canceled LA Time long ago. They kept giving me discounts ($1 a week) but finally canceled for good.

5. ImLoaded

ImLoaded Junior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Malamud!! I miss that dude.

6. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Jim Murray made the Sports section very enjoyable.

I stopped reading the (UC)LA Times when it was extremely obvious that their spotswriting staff had an overwhelmingly obvious Bruin bias to it.

7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    I hate 7:30 games unless I am there. Win or lose tomorrow night I'm probably gonna be too wound up to sleep.

8. aTrojan2

aTrojan2 Junior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    This is exactly the only time I will ever read the LA Slimes, no offense to Robyn Norwood, Murray Dwyer and other really good writers of the past. Nothing better than a satisfying cup of coffee Sunday morning after going over stats of a nice win.

9. TrojanLore4ever

TrojanLore4ever Junior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    I also stopped the Times years ago. I do, however, miss the big colored photos of 5 or 6 Trojans gang tackling and pulverizing some poor runner to the ground. Or a classic photo of a SC back making a cut for a TD with arm muscles and calves bulging in the process. Those traditional cardinal and gold uni's, with the striped side pant legs, never take a bad photo.

10. Conquest4ever1981

Conquest4ever1981 Junior Member

Nov 20, 2016
    I went out this morning to get my Sunday paper to savor the USC beat down of the bRuins in print and just as I suspected when I picked up the LA Times to check the sports section there was only a partial account of the game because of the 7:30 start. I put the Times down and out of curiosity picked up the Ventura County Star and lo and behold their sports section had the final score and total game recap. The Times is supposed to be the big time paper and is stuck in the past with their go to press deadlines, yet a small paper such as The Star manages to provided full coverage with a final score. What gives?