The Chosen One passes on Cactus Bowl

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by CurtC, Dec 23, 2017.

1. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 24, 2017
    The whole movie sucked period. I could care less about Luke, I dont know why you keep assuming my dislike for TLJ comes from Luke. Hell, Luke could get brutally gunned down or have his head chopped off and Kylo Ren kicking it around like a soccer ball and I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Wow, a scathing review. Out of the 7 previous mainline Star Wars movies I only liked the first 2 (the original SW and Empire). So I will wait until I can see this one on TV.

As to Rosen, I used to dislike him a lot, but not any more. He is just a young guy (who had Lienart and Bush as his favorite players growing up) and had a heck of a game against us this year. Best of luck to him in NFL

3. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Well I enjoyed it, and my kids loved it, which is all Star Wars is really good for.

At least we can agree that UCLA sucks.

4. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 24, 2017
    what I hope happens to ucla football

[​IMG]

orangetrojan and CCTrojans like this.
  5. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I don't blame him, even if he is a UCLA kid.

You're going to have me drop back 40-50 times, with an OL that won't be able to keep me clean, throwing to unreliable WRs (except Lasley), in order for us to have a chance at winning?
    Sorry coach, I'm projected to be a top 5 pick in the NFL Draft.
    I can't afford to get a serious injury going into combine and workouts.
    I'll be sure to make sure to send you a decent check on behalf of the athletic dept!

6. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I thought the Last Jedi was a great movie. The franchise was stale and in need of a major retooling, and that's what it delivered. The previous movie (that came out last year) was just a re-furbished re-do of the original movie --- nothing new, nothing surprising, no movement of plot or characters. It was polished nostalgia and nothing more. This new movie profoundly advanced the story arch.

And now we know that Sam will not be the last Jedi. JT is coming in, and there will be more. Keep hope alive.

Rosen? He's a second-rate bad guy who doesn't have the force and is forever doomed to be associated with the evil empire/First Order/whatever they call themselves now over at Westwood.

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.
  7. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Completely disagree. But to each his own

8. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Pretty sure we all agree if the concussion is legit.

9. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    BIG "if"

10. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Dec 24, 2017
    This^

11. spintojoe

spintojoe Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I am glad we got Darnold and not Rosen. The latter is talented, but I loathe his demeanor and behavior. Darnold is a terrific representative for the team for which we can be proud.

12. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    One more thought on players skipping minor bowls. It seems the media and other football "experts" agree star players on average teams playing in meaningless bowls SHOULD skip the bowl. They cite that probable 1st round FSU player who got seriously hurt in the bowl game a few years ago and almost didn't get drafted as a result. This is the same media that hypes all these meaningless bowls to begin with. I hate what ESECPN and other media have done to this sport.

DJ4SC likes this.
  13. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Hopefully Cleveland will draft him and leave Sam alone!

14. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 24, 2017
    I don't think Rosen will last in the NFL . History of injuries...... He's too fragile.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  15. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    The only way this hits us is we are 7-5 or 8-4, maybe even 9-3, playing in a bowl game that we don't even know what state it is in.

With the way we are trending, we are going to be playing in a CFP game, or a New Year's Six bowl game, and their isn't...there SHOULDN'T be a player on our roster that would be trying to sit that game out to risk injury.

Hell playing in the game should help their stock more than sitting out of it.
    We are about to play the best team we have played all season, not Stanford (2), Washington State, Texas or Notre Dame is better right now.
    There are going to be a ****load of scouts at that game as well, you would want to show up and play your best game against your best opponent in hopes that tape would boost your stock some..

16. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017

Minor or not, if one player won’t play then the rest should forfeit the game. There’s not a better way to send a message to a school or coach that condone this behavior.

If you want a major bowl then win your freaking games.

17. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    If he's concussed and hasn't passed the protocol test then so be it.

If the decision is based solely upon the fear of injury to a healthy player then I'm with those who find sitting out a bowl game to preserve oneself for their upcoming career at the expense of playing one more game with and for their team-mates distasteful.

18. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Dec 25, 2017
    Wow just wow....the left called for all of these crappy bowl games? GTFO

19. mrbug708

mrbug708 Junior Member

Dec 25, 2017
    You know it's time to step back from the argument when you let grandstanding "emotion" take pver for any logic. Why not just make them forfeit the bowl game for the next few years? Or kill the player who doesn't want to play. This isn't a player otpting to sit out a random game. It's a guy who has nothing to prove. If his teammates are upset, maybe they should have tackled better, blocked better, caught better then? With a new coach coming in, the players are basically auditioning for their jobs with Kelly. Modster is probably thrilled for the reps. It's not like Rosen is coming back next year, hes going to graduate in 3 years, and will be more valuable to ucla in the NFL than putting his head up for K-state. This sanctimonious, fake as hell takes by posters who loathe this behavior is obnoxious. And if some of you are as outraged as you are claiming, I just laugh at what makes some of you so angry or upset. He's been a great teammate and a class individual at ucla. No arrests, no jock strap grabbing in national TV. But his behavior offends some of you. It's why America is so soft these days. "Condone this behavior" is just painful on the eyes to read. He didn't rob a bank, get a DUI, commit sexual assault, take extra benefits or anything else close to being shameful. Sont get me wrong, I would love to see him play one more game. I would also love to see him play another year. Him not playing the game is no different then him not playing his senior year. He wouldn't have needed his time in college other than the NFL rules that dictate him to wait, so he waited the necessary time. He entered college as a top prospect and will leave as such. I can only tip my hat and wish him well.

Merry Christmas from a guy who had a 2.5 year old throw up at 3 am this morning. I'm cranky as hell

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  20. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 25, 2017
    Somebody needs a timeout.

Him having "nothing left to prove" is not the point. Him refusing to help his teammates win a game, which obviously does mean something to them and to the school, (which did not refuse the bid), is the point

Some of us beg to differ about what kind of teammate, leader, and student he was. Special privilege and arrogant political statements may be his right, but may not make him likeable.

As for equating his refusal with skipping the senior year, some of us do not favor either, but THIS game is part of THIS year. If one is so great that he is an obvious Hall of Fame NFL player, might as well forego college completely, just work out for three years, maybe skip high school like the youngest Ball Bro.

BUGMAN is entitled to his cranky opinion, but cannot force it upon those of us who have watched Rosen and reached other, REAONABLE AND LOGICAL, conclusions about him. He may have nothing left to prove, but has plenty left to learn, and may not learn it by running off to get rich right now. He could ask Brett Hundly how easy it is, and how big that 2nd contract looks

DJ4SC likes this.