The Chosen One passes on Cactus Bowl

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by CurtC, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Next man up....

2. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Kinda debunks the whole myth of it being for the players when not even the players want to participate.[/QUOTE]

So, one player, Josh Rosen, isn't playing so you're assumption is "not even the players want to participate."? Poor logic, friend. Believe me, most ALL the players love participating in these bowls. The typical roster player isn't going to the NFL, nor is that the reason he's playing college football. He's in it for a scholarship, love of the sport, and to enjoy his teammates. This is a very enjoyable activity for 99% of the players.

These minor bowl games are not planned with the average fan in mind, anyway. They cater to the local community where the bowl is, the players and coaches for each team, and ESPN, who makes money despite disinterest from arrogant snobs like you.

cigar95 likes this.
  3. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Rather than risk injury, maybe ucla should just forfeit then?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017

So, one player, Josh Rosen, isn't playing so you're assumption is "not even the players want to participate."? Poor logic, friend. Believe me, most ALL the players love participating in these bowls. The typical roster player isn't going to the NFL, nor is that the reason he's playing college football. He's in it for a scholarship, love of the sport, and to enjoy his teammates. This is a very enjoyable activity for 99% of the players.

These minor bowl games are not planned with the average fan in mind, anyway. They cater to the local community where the bowl is, the players and coaches for each team, and ESPN, who makes money despite disinterest from arrogant snobs like you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Rosen is the only one skipping his bowl. Don’t be daft.

5. mrbug708

mrbug708 Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Great analysis, thanks for the talk!

6. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Sadly but one day this will hit SC. Just a matter of time.

7. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Just wouldn’t want any poor bruins to get their heads exposed to that, as you said...

Come on, this is football. Doesn’t work if you only show up for the easy games.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  8. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Without a doubt.

9. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017

Today's crowd is made up of me, me, me. Guys like this would have been pummeled (and rightly so) back in the day. The "band of brothers" mentality has been replaced with "I'm going to get mine now because it's all about me".

3rd Slide likes this.
  10. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Let's hope that our HC has a stronger character than wanting to be everyone's buddy. If the whole team isn't on the same quest and willing to go to any length then look for miserable seasons and dysfunction.
    Don't know the whole story behind Rosen but it's a trend that needs to be stopped.

Rodgarnay51 and 3rd Slide like this.
  11. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Finger concussions last longer

901 Club, Troy70 and DJ4SC like this.
  12. CurtC

CurtC Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    My favorite memory of Josh:

View attachment 539
    Excellent point - I couldn't agree more.

13. orangetrojan

orangetrojan Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I get both sides of this argument, but for as arrogant as Rosen seems to be I can't say I'm shocked or irritated by his decision. He stood behind Swiss cheese for an oline and was pummeled into the turf all year. It's a crap bowl that shouldn't exist anyway.

I know that's probably not a popular opinion but the truth is the game and the stakes have changed dramatically even within the last decade, let alone 20 years. Sure there was more camaraderie back when this wasnt a multi billion dollar industry, but as the game becomes more profitable, attitudes change and players feel more empowered. And they should because they are generating far more money now for their universities and teams collegiately and professionally. Wishing for things to go back to the way they were is an exercise in futility. We'll be seeing more of this before we see less.

With all that said, other things about Rosen's behavior would give me pause as an NFL owner. His talent is undeniable and could easily end up as one of the greats, but his attitude could end up holding him back.

14. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Smart move by Rosen. Amazing that some believe there should be some loyalty to their school these days. Why would any reasonable person put their health at risk for a university? Screw that...
    One look at the USC pimp and what he's willing to do for the almighty buck should go a long way to informing SC fans how the school feels about its alumnus. Need more help? Haden tower.
    Our leaders are certainly leading the way. There is no loyalty between employer and employee, school and alumnus, organization and participant. It's ALL about business and Rosen is making the smart business move.
    And he's giving his back up an opportunity to play.

15. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Unless he actually does have a concussion I agree with you. Back in Vince Lombardi's day he'd have played.

If the concussion statement is not legit, I think he should do his teammates a solid and stay home.

16. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    The movie was great. Luke has been a whiny little bitch from the beginning. Of course people like you would idolize him.

17. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 24, 2017
    thats like saying Jar Jar is a great character.

18. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    In what way? Jar Jar sucks and Luke was a whiner. It's like you were whacking to Princess Leia so much you didn't watch the rest of those movies.

19. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I didn't care much for Leia. I didn't care much for Luke either. He should have channelled his inner terrorist and crashed his X-wing into the Death Star exhaust port.

Everybody liked Han Solo and Chewbacca. And Lando. And Wedge Antilles. And Admiral Ackbar.

20. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Well that's all true. I guess I just assumed you were mad at TLJ for ruining Luke. That seems to be a complaint I hear a lot. I never thought of Luke as a big hero. What'd he do that was so great besides that one shot? Fail to finish training, get caught in a trap and get a limb chopped off, and then get saved by his dad?