Ten forgotten Trojan stars (from Rich Ruben)

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 16, 2020.

2. Moose4usc

Moose4usc Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    I used to play pick-up games when I was a student with Harold Miner, Lorenzo Orr, and Robert Pack--but you missed a big one from that group--DUANE COOPER!!

He was the nicest guy, so humble, quiet and unassuming. He ended up playing for the Lakers for a couple years. I will never forget when he had a great game and Chick Hearn called him "instant offense" or something like that.

Duane is probably my all-time favorite hoopster, just ahead of Harold.

Canyon likes this.
  3. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    This is great Rich! Thanks very much. Boy you called it on Ronnie Coleman - I barely remember him at all, yet he accomplished a lot. All of these guys had fine careers. My favorite on the list was Cliff Robinson - I loved his game and thought he was a great player.

I don't think we have to worry about Rakocevic ending up on this list. I won't soon forget his maddening inconsistency. One guy who I hope never makes it to this list is Jordan McLaughlin. He was such a great player for the Trojans - probably my favorite.

Canyon likes this.
  4. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben Member

Jul 16, 2020

SC had several good guards at that time. Besides Miner, Pack and Cooper, Phil Glenn and Rodney Chatman were productive players.

5. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Jul 16, 2020
    I walk down memory lane. My SC grad Dad first took me to games in the 1960's. Mostly heart break but when we beat the Ruins it was special.

6. Moose4usc

Moose4usc Junior Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Phil was part of some of those pickup games too! Another great guy. I was able to interview him after the USC-Pepperdine NIT game and he was quite patient with my amateurish skills. :-)

7. gkierkegaard

gkierkegaard Junior Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Yes, me too, with the 4 you just mentioned. Also Derrick Dowel and Ronnie Coleman. After that group came Yamen Sanders, who had a fairly long career in Europe, Mark Boyd, Rodney Chapman, Phil Glen, Dwayne Hackett.

If you played with the coaches at noon, you also got to play with a lot of athletes during their off season, football players during BB season and basketball players during FB season, names like Tim Ryan, Scotty Galbraith, Mark and Delmar Chesley, Leroy Holt and Aaron Emanuel, Stephon Pace, Jason Oliver, Willie McGinnist, etc.

If it took you forever to graduate, as it did me, you actually got to play with several generations of USC athletes.

Of course, none was fiercer than Cynthia Cooper when she first arrived on campus! Damn I was seriously scared of her, though she seems sweet as could be now ... ha ha.

Thought I had a block on Harold Miner once as he did one of his notorious double pumps. I was waiting for the predictable second pump and could taste the glory! Instead I literally bounced off him (he was so strong!) as he went up after the second pump to lay the ball in. Super nice and quiet, like Duane Cooper.

Maybe you and I played together.

Canyon likes this.
  8. mkmora74

mkmora74 Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020

How about a guy by the name of Dwight Anderson? Averages over 20 ppg in the early 80's if memory serves correctly. One of my other favorites that you didn't mention was a guard named Don Carfino.

Canyon likes this.
  9. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    What a fantastic list! I am especially thrilled that you listed Spoon #1. Spoon and I started USC together in 1968 and I had at least one class with him. A nicer guy never existed. But the thing that is so hard to get your head around was how he was able to control the boards at only 6'8" and 200 lbs max (and he looked even thinner in person!).

I'm also glad you gave some run to Block and Hewitt but what about 2nd team AAs John Rudometkin, the 11th pick in the 1962 draft, and Chris Appel, the 24th pick in the same draft? When is the last time USC had TWO AAs on the same team???

Canyon likes this.
  10. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Anderson was a transfer from Kentucky and played a season and roughly a half for SC. He is one of a small group of Trojans who averaged over 20 points in a season (20.3). He is best remembered for making one of the most difficult shots in Trojan history. After a defensive rebound by the Trojans, Anderson streaked downcourt ahead of the lack. The outlet pass went over his head, and he caught it on a bounce with his momentum carrying him well beyond the end line. He leaped in the air, turned his body to face the basket and threw up a rainbow which went over the board and went straight thru the net. Anderson played one season in the NBA.

I also like Carfino and he could have been on the list. He averaged over 11 points a game for his career and over 15 as a senior.

Canyon likes this.
  11. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I listed Rudometkin in the first paragraph as an all time great who is definitely not forgotten. Appel averaged 11.1 points per game from 1960-1962. I don’t know much about him; he made only 36.5% of his shots from the field over his three seasons, and didn’t make 40% in any season.

Canyon likes this.
  12. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 7, 2020

Canyon likes this.
  13. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Appel was a 2nd team AA just like Rudometkin and was drafted only 13 spots behind him in the 3rd round. These were the days when the draft went 9 complete rounds and 7 partial rounds so being the 24th overall pick in the draft (out of 100 players drafted) definitely gives him some cred. On this one, you just have to look way past the statistics. He was that good.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  14. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Aug 12, 2020
    Kudos to Rich Ruben for his wonderful piece of USC basketball forgotten stars. And, to all who replied recognizing the other fine players. I remember all these outstanding players and agree 100% to this list. Yep, these 10 were awesome players and Trojans. A big thank you Rich and everyone for your threads that brought back fond memories....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020