Taking stock: Quarterback

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 22, 2020.

2. glIIsc

glIIsc Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    This topic around Slovis deserves attention this offseason. Kedon had another good year no doubt. But his ball is different, even the spirals hang in the air longer. Go back and look at ASU or CO game last year. Balls were tight and had zip. Just wasn't the case this year. In the offseason last year there were 2 things said: he's coming off injury and "he worked and changed some mechanics". One of these two things I believe are at the core of the problem. If it's the mechanics, go back to square one, but either way figure it out

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. USC1

USC1 Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    For the QB position to flourish in this finesse offense you must run the ball effectively either with the RB or QB. The OC chastised Sears for running which ultimately led him to be 4th string and eventually transfer. So that leaves it up to the running back. Have to improve O line run blocking get in the weight room and actually practice it. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to work on misdirection, jet sweeps or at least a threat of it, motion RB’s and have Slovis keep it on designed QB runs to keep defense off balance. Right now we basically only run on 1st down opposite of where the RB lines up everybody knows it.

gubo&palanka, Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    I agree 100%. How can they expect Slovis to keep himself in one piece, let alone deliver passes on the money, if he receives no protection from the oline and the defense always knows what's coming?

I looked at the oline roster this morning, and it was less than inspiring. I think AVT is the only one of the starters who will ever sniff even honorable mention all conference or an NFL roster and who knows about the reserves and new recruits. But a lot of it is the fault of Harrell. Yes, Drevno (or a replacement) needs to toughen them up and teach them better technique. But Harrell's play design, blocking schemes and predictable play calling put the OL and Slovis at a big disadvantage right from the get go. I don't think you can fault their effort, but they're not getting results. Harrell could really help them out if he would just use some common sense and put them in a better position to succeed.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Cyrus, gubo&palanka and Troy70 like this.
  5. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    You are aware that Sears couldn’t win the Boise St QB gig, right ?

RB4SC likes this.
  6. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    There a lot of things I dislike about GH offense, but the fact remains our OL is way below average.
    The in ability to recruit solid OL in a consistent basis has hurt our offense regardless of what scheme is ran.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Spot on ........

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Dec 22, 2020
    I have a feeling the review on the OL is going to be a doozy. Just guessing of course.

9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Clay, Calloway & Drevno can’t recruit elite OL . OL doesn’t practice running enough & it shows

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  10. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Dec 22, 2020
    NOT really interested in “arguing”, but to say SC doesn’t have QUALITY OLinemen is a bit of an exaggeration, in MY opinion.

So Oregon State has BETTER OL? Ugly? In my OPINION, it’s a willingness and COMMITMENT to running the football. One cannot establish an effective RUN GAME without committing to it on GAME day. Yes, some games will require more passing, others more running, but successful teams will find their “sweet spot” and COMMIT to be as BALANCED as possible.

As well, I cannot evaluate whether SC’s OL is personnel based, coaching based or, POSSIBLY, some combination of OL/RB/coaching...but, I’m more than certain no one else on this board know either, outside of ONE factor...what we SEE on game day...and what I see REQUIRES a full commitment to FIXING it PERMANENTLY! Yes, I KNOW y’all see that as well...

And, as has been discussed, ad nauseam...until the HC fixes it or is FIXED, speculation will CONTINUE that we just don’t have good enough PLAYERS or recruits.

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

scpick, Arhedge and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  11. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    When we get a real top notch QB we'll know it. Next time 2 guys on #5.

12. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    After all that, Kedon threw a horrible pass, that ended SC’s season. Don’t know what was going through his mind, but, that’s one of the worst decisions we’ve ever seen from a QB.

13. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Related to “Taking stock: QBs”...

Kedon Slovis is NOT SC’s issue. Anyone opining for one of the INCOMING “studs” to take over for him doesn’t UNDERSTAND the position. KS has proven his value...he more than anyone would love a DO-OVER from last Friday. Every snap KS has the ability to HOLD Trojan fans on the edge of their seats because of what’s POSSIBLE because of his vision, anticipation, timing, ability to DROP a ball in the right spot, footwork and pocket AWARENESS. Does he make mistakes, yes, and UNFORTUNATELY, sometimes in THREES...

I, like the rest, am EXCITED about the young-guns coming in. My HOPE is neither of the newbies has to play as soon as KS did...let’s hope there’ll be ANOTHER Grad-Trans come along to add experiential depth.

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

scpick, gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  14. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Boise State is another team I follow closely.

Not entirely correct. Jack Sears was brought in to compete for the job but it was always a longshot for him because Murrieta Valley Sophomore Hank Bachmeier was the starter. He got hurt Jack Sears came in and did an outstanding job in a win. He played a near perfect game. He got hurt early in the first quarter of his second start and Hank Bachmeier returned to regain his spot one game later.

As far as I'm concerned Jack Sears has yet to play a bad game in any of his starts.
    In fact I'm not sure if he's thrown a pick yet and has something like 5 TD's and zero Ints. In 2 starts.

I like what I saw from Sears he has a bright future ahead.

15. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Speaking of Jack Sears and Boise State.
    I want to give this guy a shout out. He's a California player. Remember this name. Khalil Shakir. He's one of the best WR's I've seen all year any team any league. A Wes Welker, Cooper Kupp Type. He just keeps attacking. The defense has to know where he is at all times. They know he's the man and still can't stop him. Does anyone know if USC even recruited him?

Screenshot_20201222-145449_Samsung Internet.jpg
    https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article247812650.html

16. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 22, 2020
    Love these ideas but I fear our stubborn OC won't do any of it. No 2 back sets, either.

17. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Dec 22, 2020
    USC did not. Four Pac 12 schools did including UCLA and Arizona State. He was a three star. USC would not stoop to recruiting 3 star WR.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  18. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    “Well, Erik, what do we have?”

“A quarterback, if we can keep him [upright].”

19. FIGHTON!

FIGHTON! Junior Member

Dec 22, 2020
    How can you run the ball when every defense we play stacks the box with 8. GH has what, 4 plays? Even I have figured out his plays.
    As for Slovis,, when they were showing replays with the endzone camera he had 2 guys open multiple times, and either didn't see them, or made a very poor read.

Also, the way California screwed all sports, its a wonder these kids even had any resemblance of a team
    The Oline got out of quarantine on a Saturday, and played against WSU on Sunday
    You try looking good with just Zoom practices .
    California didn't help any of its schools.

Fight on!