Taking a Tour of Campus

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by 101Coast, May 14, 2019.

1. Taking a Tour of Campus
    101Coast

101Coast Points Member

May 14, 2019
    Taking the family on a tour of campus this Memorial weekend. It's been probably 15 years since I've actually walked the campus. I know a lot has changed. We've only been on the Coliseum side of things within that time and wanted to put some time into looking at the other stuff. Kid will be a high school freshman next year and we're starting our college tour early to get him motivated.

I'm trying to come up with an itinerary to avoid wasting time wondering around aimlessly. Would like to hit up the sports complexes and housing (on and off) and some of the departments.

I'd appreciate ideas on where to go and where to park in a central location so we wouldn't have to walk from one end to the other. Also, where can we just walk in without having to get permission.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 14, 2019
    A lot is putting it mildly. Get yourself a chin strap.

How much time do you plan on spending? Honestly, the first thing I'd skip is the housing on campus. A dorm is a dorm is a dorm. If you must, cross Jefferson and take University walk past Hillel and the magnet school. You'll go past Troy Hall, McAlister Field, and meander past all the greek housing.

If you really want to see everything, you'll be walking one end to the other anyway so I'd pick the garage at Downey/McClintock with access from Watt Way entrance. Head up McClintock and you'll pass Cromwell on your right, football fields on your left, Uytengsu just past those on your left, then cross the street, walk through the Cinematic Arts facilities, then hit Heritage Haul using the walkway between Cromwell and the McKay center athletic field. Hit up Annenberg, Norris, Taper. If you go the other direction out of Cinematic Arts facilities, you'll see all the brand new buildings including dance and music which are phenomenal.

Obviously, you should end the day at the bookstore and pictures in front of Tommy at the quad. Doheny is right there as well as Bovard. The horse that was given to Dr Sample is there but it looks strangely out of place to me.

The other good option for parking is McCarthy Way parking structure, Figueroa entrance. You'll see the beach volleyball facility just outside the structure. Galen will be to your right. As you leave the structure to go on campus, lots of dorms right there....Marks, Pardee, Birnkrant.

At the far end of campus at the Coliseum end, don't forget pics with Tirebiter, kick the light posts, pictures at Mudd which USC is now marketing as our "Harry Potter" building, walk past Traddie's off of Trousdale.

That's about all I got. Download a map and unless they tell you you can't, then just explore.

CP619 likes this.
  3. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

May 14, 2019
    It will probably be like a ghost town then. You can still have a nice visit, but you won't get a real feel for the atmosphere. Have you signed up for a campus tour? That can cover a lot of bases without wandering around aimlessly.

4. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

May 14, 2019
    Thanks. It'll be an informal visit. Just wanted to go look around to get the lay of the land. Not trying to get any details yet. I haven't tried to find anything other than this post. You guys here probably know more than anyone else on what to see. Maybe spend 4-5 hrs either in the morning or afternoon.

5. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

May 14, 2019

Have you seen the wealth of stuff on line?

6. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    Complete with a banner add looking for those who were mistreated by Tyndall.... can't escape it

7. TrojanMoondoggie

TrojanMoondoggie Junior Member

May 17, 2019
    My ex-boyfriend moved out here to LA to work for Toyota. He attended Texas A&M. He told me that his friends from Texas came out for a visit and he took them on a tour of LA. After driving around both the ucla and USC campuses, one of his friends said he'd much rather go to ucla based on the environs surrounding the campuses.

Conversely though, my friend and I were at the LA Book Festival last year at USC and she commented that she liked the USC campus a lot more than the ucla campus (from her visits to ucla when the Book Festival was held there).

As we were walking around the campus she said that you could just feel the money at USC. That there was just this classic feel about the USC campus that she didn't get at ucla.

I had to agree.

I will add that my bf looked into grad schools (business) at both schools, and despite his friend's view of the environs surrounding the campuses, even my bf liked USC better. He said he immediately felt the sense of family and brotherhood in his interviews at USC that he didn't feel at ucla. He said the latter made him feel like a number. USC made him feel like he belonged there and were much more friendly.

fssca51 likes this.
  8. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

May 18, 2019
    I felt the exact same way when I visited both campuses over 30 years ago. My dad was on the visits with me and he noticed it, too. I guess some things never change. As for the surrounding area, of course UCLA is in a better neighborhood, but USC's campus is much more beautiful, IMO. How long ago were the boyfriend's friends out there? I'm guessing they haven't seen the new USC village.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  9. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

May 18, 2019
    USC has been for many years a more student friendly school. At the Engineering School (not named Viterbi yet) we could get an appointment to see a dean on a walk-in basis. A ucla engineering student had to make an appt. and wait . Class size at USC was also smaller making number of students per teacher smaller . All good reasons to choose USC over ucla.

aimeedee likes this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 18, 2019
    Student-friendly unless you were a female seeking medical help at the Health Center and ended up with Dr. Tyndall. I'm sure they all walked right in.

11. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

May 18, 2019
    For some reason USC attracts bad people along with the good ones. There's been a spate of the bad ones of late. The USC prestige and legendary sports program may account for some of it. USC is a favorite target for the media too which is not helpful. . Tyndall was one of the worst and Puliafitois another. Then there are numerous other Sports figures which have been the subject of media attention . No need to name them here. Nikias was a good fund raiser but did not do his job as an administrator. At this time in the continuum USC is like a dog with fleas; The new President should be able to get rid the fleas and restore USC's good name. Loyal Trojan Fight On.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  12. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

May 19, 2019
    Hard to do when the fleas occupy the BOT. Until there’s a change at the top the fleas won’t go anywhere.

fssca51 likes this.
  13. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

May 19, 2019
    I'm looking forward to the new President Folt who takes charge 1 July. If the BOT will support her there just may be a change for the better, and soon.

14. TrojanMoondoggie

TrojanMoondoggie Junior Member

May 19, 2019
    Is there much a president can do if part of the problem is Among the ranks of the BOT? One of my friends who’s still a teacher has college and career week this week and each class is putting together a display board and booth for different unis. Everyone is giving him a hard time over USC. And understandably so. Does the BOT and former president care so little about the university that they couldn’t care less that the uni is seen as a joke?

15. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

May 19, 2019
    People tend to focus on the negatives, a custom we've leaned from our printed and broadcast media who tend to present all the bad and little of the good. There is much more positive about USC than negative. Your friend could present the positives about USC to balance the show.

aimeedee likes this.