Taking a closer look at Slovis

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by AnnenbergGrad, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Taking a closer look at Slovis
    AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Just like everyone else, I'm intrigued by his ascent to #2 on the depth chart.

It's been clear since the Spring that Harrell saw something special to his game. The superlatives did not start this week, they started much sooner. But now that staff has put their money where their mouth is when it comes to Kedon, I wanted to take a closer look.

I saw him in the Spring on HoJo and he did stand out to me at that point. Not so much physically, but because he throws nice ball, almost always a tight spiral and accurate. Noticeably more accurate than the other three QBs when I was there.

In the Fall "showcase" (hate that phrase) Kedon stood out to me a bit more physically. He had clearly surpassed JT in height and had put on what I'd guess was 10 to 15 pounds of muscle. It's pretty impressive that he made himself look the part of a D1 player so quickly. He's listed at 6'2' 200 now, but if he keeps it up, we might be looking at a 6'3'' 220 lb QB before all is said and done at USC.

At the "showcase" (still hate that phrase) he didn't shine. In fact, I thought he was outplayed by the other three QBs, with none of them really stepping up as the alpha. However, there were two plays in succession where Kedon dropped perfect snaps, quickly picked them up off the grass, and hit his man downfield. One was for a beautifully thrown TD. He should have handled the snaps, but that showed me something.

Like any QB, his H.S. film should be taken with a grain of salt, particularly when it comes to any QB's mobility. Just because they are good runners in H.S. does not mean they will be so in college. The lanes close much faster on the next level.

However, he is showing some nice legs in the clip below. And, more importantly, the ability to throw on the run and in a collapsing pocket.

The biggest thing, which you don't have to take with a grain of salt because it can be objectively measured, is the arm strength. Check the clip starting at .06. He launches his throw in a dirty pocket with his lead foot on his own 42 and hits his man in stride at the 2 yard line for the TD. That's a perfectly thrown ball, 56 yards in the air.

Coached by Kurt Warner. Biz Admin major with a 3.4 GPA out of H.S. is also good stuff.

Nice find by staff, no matter how things work out for Kedon.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5208589/5b9defb368999601fce20023

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    He told media arrived at SC 195 lbs & now 210. He looks really solid,

3. Carson2Kareem

Carson2Kareem Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Well said, positive post. He looks like a gamer.

I don’t know why there is so much negativity around this announcement. The criticism of Helton thus far has been favoritism and seniority. This move is the complete opposite of that, and it’s full meltdown mode.

This is a breath of fresh air in my opinion. It reminds me (in the smallest possible way) of the PC days where competition drove the depth chart. Hopefully this sends a message to the rest of the team, and we see more of it.

4. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    I've been reading regular updates on Slovis and the other quarterbacks in The Athletic since spring ball started. About a couple weeks ago, the reporter-- who's seen every practice-- said Slovis was going to be the #2 QB because he had clearly outplayed both Fink and Sears. He said Slovis played with cool and calm, went through his progressions (a critical thing in the Air Raid), and demonstrated great accuracy with his throws. He also showed the strongest arm of the 4 quarterbacks and said he could make passes the others couldn't. The reporter also predicted Sears would finish 4th because of inconsistency, even though he was the most athletic. Sears took off a lot when he started to feel pressure and abandoned his progressions. And, he would lose accuracy on his passes once he started scrambling. The coaches didn't like that he could make a great play and turn around and make a bad play. Not many bad plays from JT, which is why he won the job.

5. AnnenbergGrad

Aug 22, 2019

Good stuff. Gotta check that out.

6. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    How’s The Athletic? Worth the subscription?

Oh, and was the reporter named Graham Harrell?

Dr. Duke and VM805 like this.
  7. sc85sis

sc85sis Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    I’ve seen a few posts on various sites that state he can’t really be that good because he wasn’t highly rated or recruited. That drives me crazy. Star ratings, etc. are not the end all be all. Troy Polamalu and Mike Williams were both three stars. Clay Matthews was a walk on at USC. And shifting schools and positions, Russell Wilson was only a two star in HS.

What counts is how well the guy does once he’s on campus.

I don’t know whether Slovis is going to be great or not. None of us do. Let’s at least wait and see and not come up with conspiracy theories about why the coaching staff made him number two at QB.

TrojanFireHorse12 and CP619 like this.
  8. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Aug 23, 2019
    His HS highlights reminds me of Darnold. Accurate passes, even when scrambling, and getting yards with his legs too. If only the coaches of the 2015 team had the guts to make Sam the #2 QB.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  9. AnnenbergGrad

Aug 23, 2019
    Sounds like the reporter knew staff's rational on this pretty accurately. Which is good reporting.

10. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Agree, Slovis wasn't a 4 star rated kid because he didn't play at a known program for getting guys to the D1 level. Had he played at Mater Dei it would have been a different story. By the same token, Daniels gets a bump for playing at powerhouse Mater Dei. If he had played at...say...Canoga Park HS in the San Fernando Valley, his rating would surely have been lower. I don't place a lot of stock in these rating systems for that very reason.

11. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Agree and I've posted previously: Slovis was a 4* out of high school, #17 pocket passer coming out. Desert Mountain is a 20+ year old high school so not as well known as others in Phoenix. Also, who is the best QB in the Pac 12? A former 3* named Justin Herbert.

TrojanFireHorse12 and CP619 like this.
  12. AnnenbergGrad

Sep 8, 2019
    Eh hem. : )

13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    There are far too many programs in CA, let alone surrounding states for every QB to be properly evaluated. Sometimes it's luck, a tape, relentless recruiting by player/family, or a recommendation that makes the difference. I have some close family friends whose son plays at Desert Mountain. Slovis was wildly popular and respected there and most were surprised he didn't get more attention.

3rd Slide likes this.
  14. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Sep 8, 2019
    This is similar to the Aaron Rodgers process, MINUS the JC experiences and playing for the Commies...

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  15. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Something that Sam has but Jack doesn't/didn't seem to have is his ability to run and pass accurately. On a consistent basis.

Jack has a flight or fight more Flight in the pocket then anything which is not ideal for Air Raid maybe for Spread but not that

16. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Upon closer inspection of King Kedon, I see some facial hair coming in ; )

17. TKnight

TKnight Junior Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Just like building a house or building you have to have a solid foundation. It all starts there. I always watch footwork on QB's, Slovis as great footwork for a Freshmen D1 QB. Credit Kurt Warner for that! His footwork reminds me of Palmer and Lienart, at USC. Darnod had some happy feet in the pocket, at times and always had to throw moving or on the run do to O-line play. JT has happy feet and looks liek he is skipping rope in the pocket all the time.

Good QB coaching will always start with good footwork as a foundation, then move up the frame. Graham was a Heisman finalist as a QB and put up good stats in that roll at TT, A former QB coaching a youth QB. Not to shabby