Take back the west

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Feb 19, 2020.

1. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Having a team motto or slogan can be good. I have to say that I liked “Leave No Doubt” in 2004. That was an appropriate goal after being left out of the NC game the previous year.

I’m good with “Take Back the West” for this season, it’s a worthy goal to start with and it may be motivational for the players and coaches. But they have to make it happen for it to mean anything. There have been far too many unmet goals and empty statements from the HC the last few years.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  2. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    The new generation of students and recruits respond to this type of marketing. Alex is a former USC student so he knows the hype and having to compete against what other schools and local teams offer. But yes I agree, the best marketing is winning and playing hard and physical not only in football but all USC sports.

in2nation likes this.
  3. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    What was last year’s motto, “So what, now what?” Singularly the dumbest slogan in recent memory. And yes, I understand it was coopted from elsewhere, but that doesn’t make it any less putrid. Did it rouse the players, inspire them on to victory in any game last season? Do they even remember it today?

ConquerorSC likes this.
  4. Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Points Member

Feb 21, 2020
    These are great. I would love to see the students plaster these all over campus when the losses start coming. If they worked hard enough they might get Helton to resign. Hell might freeze over as well....

ConquerorSC likes this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Slogans in general are a waste of time. Like I said, behind them is a presumption that somebody, (never pointing at themselves), is lacking motivation and productivity sucks. In a way, your choice and what's behind what came out, are the same thing said in a different way.

Consider a similar and quite common workplace slogan you might see in an under-performing company...."Work smarter, not harder". What does that mean to the worker? Are they getting the training they need? Management support they need? Does the company think they are dumb or lazy? Slogans don't result in better production or motivation. This was more for the fans....and it didn't seem to work all that well.
    If we don't have much to market, then speak with winning. What exactly does that mean, "take back the west"? What is actionable? What can a player do, for instance, to make that happen?

I would prefer a motto over a slogan which could embody the historical significance of this program. Take back the west is nothing more than a quick attention grabber. Who will be spurred to action and what action specifically?
    Agreed, they are far better but I also see them as mottos rather than slogans because they communicate specifically where everyone, including the players, needs to focus their motivation. Compete and win. It doesn't get any more simple than that.

100. It's a concession that we have LOST the West. Why incorporate that acknowledgment in to your marketing? And it isn't just Oregon we have lost to. We've lost recruiting advantage, conference advantage, TV ratings advantage, NFL output advantage. Are those the next slogans?

ConquerorSC likes this.
  6. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Reality is that recruiting went south....

The new coaches seemed to have taken the attitude that WE WILL GET IT BACK....

I dont see anything wrong with acknowledging the current state of affairs in recruiting, and publicly state that ITS GONNA CHANGE FAST.....

DaFireMedic, bell and Moose4usc like this.
  7. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Oops. Of course the reality is we did lose the west. As slogans go this is bearable, though who really gets wrapped up in these things? (u¢la maybe) It also implies that we once owned the ‘west’ and want it back, no?

8. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    I would be more comfortable trying to take back the west if the guy leading the program wasn't the one who put the exclamation mark on losing the west both on the field and in recruiting. But sure, coaches normally change everything about themselves heading in to their 5th season.

There was a slogan in 2019 and another one in 2018.

9. DaFireMedic

Feb 21, 2020
    I thought the 2004 “ Leave No Doubt” slogan was appropriate and motivational for the players and the fans after the previous year’s snubbing at the hands of the BCS committee.

I see this years slogan as something to rally the fans more than anything. In the end though, only winning will do that.

I agree, winning speaks louder than words. Individually there’s not much that each can do to accomplish it. But as a team, they can come together, practice hard, and give it their full effort for 4 quarters of each game. These slogans are not so much individual slogans as they are team slogans.

I think that’s the idea, a quick attention grabber. I don’t think there’s any specific action intended to come from it.

We have lost the West. Right now, it’s in the hands of Oregon and Utah. Its up to USC to take it back.

August West likes this.
  10. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    For the reason @ErikMcKinney noted, this seems to speak to SC's preoccupation with other programs when, in truth, it needs to focus far more on what it does.

This is not what annoys me the most. USC used to have the West on lockdown, and now it does't. This is frankly a statement of fact, that SC needs to regain this regional monopoly.

What annoys me the most is that SC's aspirations have become so much smaller. Pete Carroll and John McKay's teams would have snorted in derision at just winning "the West", whatever that is. This is a program that SHOULD have national aspirations. Of course, as a momentarily embarrassed football millionaire, those aspirations are probably far fetched, but that's what the standard for this program SHOULD be.

And this slogan, I assume approved by the football head, clearly speaks to those reduced expectations. Want to win a Pac-12 championship and be a CFP afterthought? SC's for you, apparently.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    In what way?

It was a marketing tool that worked well for merchandise and spoke to player and fan. It was based on the recent past, an already established precedent. A goal though? No.

How is it a worthy goal? Garage just killed it with that response. The likes of McKay, Robinson, and PC would laugh at such a ridiculous idea. Yes, we have lost the West. Why put in your marketing material? It's a constant reminder of failure, not an actionable item for success. And you are confirming what I said....the underlying thought behind it is that SOMEBODY isn't properly motivated. Who exactly is it? The coaches? The players? The "team"? If you are on this stage and can't find motivation, it's not the place for you.

12. DaFireMedic

Feb 21, 2020
    I used 2004 as an example. I still have a newspaper with Dominique Byrd and his hands raised after his one-handed TD with the headline reading “NO DOUBT”. I still have fond memories of that season, and “Leave No Doubt” was a part of it.

Why not a goal? They had one very narrow loss in 2003 that opened the door for two other one loss teams to get the nod for the NC game, despite most everyone except the BCS committee believing that USC was the best team in the nation, including the AP which gave USC it’s NC. The goal was to leave no doubt in 2004, and they did just that.

Garage was right in that the goal should always be the NC, but the West is a goal that is attainable next season. We don’t have McKay, Robinson, or PC as our coach right now, and this team is not going to be winning the NC next season. But while many think it is unlikely, winning the conference is at least an attainable goal for this team for next season, and higher goals should then follow.

How are you coming to that conclusion that the underlying thought behind it is that somebody isn’t properly motivated? That’s sounds more like an assumption.

Again, I saw nothing in the 2004 team that indicated that anyone was unmotivated, yet they still had a slogan.

I’m a sports photographer on the side, and I’ve had people request pictures of their opponents getting their hands raised so they can put it on their computer desktop. They are competing on a world championship level, so it’s not like they are unmotivated. They don’t keep those pictures there because they lack motivation, but rather they want all they can get for when they compete again and they feel that it helps them stay focused on their goals.

You talk as though if anything is done that they think might provide extra motivation, that it MUST mean that somebody is unmotivated, but that’s not necessarily the case.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    August West likes this.
  13. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Feb 22, 2020
    The slogan Helton was using the past couple of years "Faith, Family, Film Room" was ineffective.
    "While "take Back the West" is an improvement its doesn't go far enough. I don't know about the rest of you but being the top dog of the Pac-12 is nice but not great. USC should always be competing for the CFB championship title.
    "National Championships...Nothing Less!"

Fight 'On to Victory!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  14. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    With businesses, they use a Vision Statement and a Mission Statement. The problem I have with "Take Back the West" can describe what SC wants to do but it's limited in scope plus as other posters stated, it admits to losing the west. Doesn't SC want to win NC's? I guess not yet. Problem is when you aim for the bottom you usually miss.

15. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Feb 26, 2020
    I had to laugh at this and some other posts...sounds like a psychology class with some of you folks. Chip Kelly during his entire time at Oregon used "Win the Day!" Geez, talk about a low bar. No, it wasn't an AA meeting. He went 46-7 with three 12-win seasons. Give the over-analysis a rest, please.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  16. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Feb 26, 2020
    when has ASU ever owned the west? If someone at SC had said that when PC was here it would be valid. But current ASU? lol

17. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 26, 2020
    The Arizona State game this year is going to have plenty of storylines.

From Donte Williams:

Donte Williams
    @CoachDee_USC

USC is the WEST (but)
    “A lion does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep”
    #TakeBackTheWest #FightOn
    Goodnight stay blessed

18. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 27, 2020
    As has already been discussed, simple and obvious, without acknowledging opponents is fine. PC's Leave No Doubt, Always Compete were also very clear. Take Back the West? Weak AF, admits we lost the west, isn't specific as to what has to happen to achieve it, indicates that someone isn't doing their job. A coach's job is VERY psychological. Give yourself a rest.