Tackling in practices

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by heyrev, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Dec 22, 2019
    I watched with my own eyes a practice during the PC era. I watched Taylor Mays nearly decapitate the RB after sniffing out a screen pass. I honestly thought he killed the poor kid.

I’m not saying you go like that all the time, but what I saw that day was violent and it was an absolute cauldron of intensity. There is a reason the players said “the games on Saturday are easier than practice”.

ClovisTroy and Cardinalblood like this.
  2. Cardinalblood

Cardinalblood Junior Member

Dec 23, 2019
    I went to Pete Carroll's practices from the year he became SCs coach, 2000 to the last year, I believe 2009. I remember very intense tackling on the days that it was allowed, and people on the sidelines almost being hit by players as they got tackled to the ground and would slide across the grass into us. I remember guys running all over the field from drill to drill. Very few idle moments during those practices. No walking around. It was game speed! I also remember guys rolling along the sidelines as punishment. Guys were held accountable for their mistakes! I remember Coach O's booming voice yelling! There is nothing like that going on in practices now, and that is why we are not winning 10 games and being in the playoff or the Rose Bowl every year!

DJ4SC and ClovisTroy like this.
  3. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Dec 23, 2019
    My bad Ladera - I thought you were referring to USC with the tackling dummies not the Ivy League practices. I think that's what you're saying, right?

4. 13Perspective

13Perspective Junior Member

Dec 23, 2019
    Well thankfully we have you to correct the Board’s skewed perspective. And of course, the proof in our current practice approach is plainly visible in the excellent statistics and results of our defensive unit.

Cyrus likes this.
  5. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Dec 23, 2019
    I’m saying that tackling is a learned skill that requires repetition to become good at it. Ideally, you practice this against real players because that is what you are tackling in games.

BUT, if you aren’t going to practice tackling real players because of all the CTE data, then you better practice tackling something! In my mind, practicing tackling dummies is better than not practicing tackling at all.

But whatever it is that we are currently doing, it isn’t working. Our players are not good at tackling so they need to change their practice habits on tackling.

6. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

Dec 23, 2019

Agree completely here except practicing tackling dummies simply doesn't prepare for tackling real people. People actually move - they slide to the left or right, they turn the opposite way, they can accelerate or decelerate to evade you, they can hurdle you, or even use an ankle-breaking shimmy of their hips to freeze you in place. And tackling isn't simply about being able to deliver the force properly to finish the tackle but being properly positioned to deliver that force in the first place. Dummies alone can't possibly adequately prepare the tackler for game-condition tackling.

And players deliver counter-force when in motion toward the tackler. This allows them to simply break poorer tackles or even to literally run over or through tacklers using properly practiced techniques in some instances. And that is all but impossible to simulate adequately or accurately I suspect nowadays.

Dummies have always had a place in tackling and that role is going to grow. But as you would no doubt agree, to not use practice we can and are allowed by rule to use is simply irresponsible and clearly not working, either.

7. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Dec 23, 2019
    It will be really interesting to see the tackling in the game this Friday. Let's see how a solid Big12 Iowa team tackles vs our Trojans. Coaches are paid to prepare the players for live tackling (and it's a healthy debate about how best to do that in the evolving game of football). I'm curious how the game turns out on the tackling issue. I have no doubt that we will throw the ball well against them and they will run the ball against us. But who is the tougher team... we shall see.

DJ4SC and Ladera Trojan like this.
  8. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

Dec 23, 2019

Ultimately this may be true. Still, that is for those who govern the game to decide, and if they decide that, fine. That isn't for Clay Helton to decide on his own and critically disadvantage his team competitively.

If he wants to advocate for new rules regarding contact and tackling in practice to the NCAA, he should then. If he wants to coach this USC Football Team, though, he should coach it successfully in the way the current rules and guidelines him allow to.

This is the USC Football Program, not the Clay Helton U Football Program.

9. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

Dec 23, 2019
    Condescend much lately?

Seriously, you do realize you are suggesting a number of print, on-air, and online media reporters and analysts, including probably some who worked or work for this website are being delusional, don't you?

As for your explanation about what we're actually seeing, everybody knows that this is practice, and it is controlled (some of us have coached a sport or two, too, and run practices when we did). We also know that defensive starters would never be allowed to light up offensive starters in practice the way the might their opponent on Saturday.

But you seem to be trying to imply something here without having to say it - so let's get right to it. Yes or no will do for each question

Do you believe Clay Helton's practices are as physical as Pete Carroll's ?
    Do you believe Clay Helton's practices are as intense as Pete Carroll's ?
    Do you believe Clay Helton's practices include practicing proper game tackling for games as much as Pete Carroll's ?
    Do you believe Clay Helton's practices prepare the team on the defensive side of the ball for games as effectively as Pete Carroll's ?

Because that's what you seem to be trying to suggest as I see it, but you don't seen confident in coming out and saying it, which can only lead me to believe this is another "non-defense defense" of Clay Helton like so many others seen on this forum. So please feel free to answer those questions so we can ascertain just what you actually trying to say here.

Cardinalblood and Cyrus like this.