Super OT: But considering moving back to California.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanCampaign, May 15, 2019.

1. Super OT: But considering moving back to California.
    TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    Little backstory: My dad went to SC (how I became a fan) but was born in Alabama and moved with my mom to the Bay area soon after graduation/marriage. And we moved to Alabama when was a teenager. My wife went to medical school up north and moved to Alabama (for me) after she graduated and did residency. And choose to do a fellowship in Emergency Medicine but there unfortunately are not many places that aren't rural that take a family trained Emergency Physician even with a fellowship. So she has been looking and the LA area surprisingly is one the few big cities that has a demand for ER physicians w/wo a ER residency. I work in the tech industry and will be doing a PhD during said move. I lived outside SF and I have never been to LA for more than 3-7 days at a time. I'll be coming for the Rose Bowl this year even if USC is not playing for vacation/recon.

So I have a few questions since we are all bored in the off-season.

- What is LA like compared to the SF culturally?
    - Is it feasible to live outside of LA and work in LA? Like around Riverside?
    - Never been to the beach in SoCal, is the water freezing like San Francisco?
    - Stalking Zillow I'm getting the impression that a 4-5 bedroom with 3000 sqft is going to be around 1.3 million+. Is there anywhere close that is not so expensive? ( =( here that is like $370,000 )
    - Any advice you would give to a potential transplant?

2. uscfd

uscfd Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    I'll take a shot. I've lived in southern Calif all my life - 64 years.

LA vs SF - two completely different cities for topography, culture, weather...
    Work in LA and live in Riverside? Not unless you want to spend over 3 hours a day commuting.
    Water is warmer down here. Beaches are sand, not rocky. Weather is sun, not overcast or fog.
    Places that are affordable within commuting distance of LA: Offhand I could suggest Downey, Whittier, or parts of La Mirada. Decent, affordable neighborhoods but not many houses in the 3000 square foot market but there are some.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    Yup....with both sets of residents likely agreeing to secede from one another.

One way....or shorten it by using carpool lanes when the busiest time of day could cost $10.

Agreed. Slim pickens. For a lot of folks, it's a better idea to commute in by rail from say, Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Irvine, etc. Not always dependable but it beats sitting in traffic.

Both places are just really expensive to live....home, food, gas, utilities, insurance....and sadly, homes with the $1.3M price tag, don't usually come with a yard, but you can probably see into your neighbor's upstairs hallway.

VM805, DaFireMedic and TrojanCampaign like this.
  4. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    +1 for the La Mirada mention. Fight On, Matadores!

5. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    Good luck!

LA sucks imo...I was born and raised there. You might want to consider San Diego and live in Temecula. It's the best SoCal lifestyle. LA is 90 miles from Temecula, so you can make a day trip anytime...and you can get 3000 sq ft for about $400k-$500k in Temecula. Pack your wine glasses and golf clubs.

6. TrojanCampaign

May 15, 2019
    VM805 likes this.
  7. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    The only area in SoCal I would even consider moving to would be Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park. Would never live anywhere in LA or Orange Counties.

redeye likes this.
  8. TrojanCampaign

May 15, 2019
    I love San Diego but the problem for us would be my wife finding employment. Places with a lower cost of living like where we live now. Attract more Physicians and we would stand to lose a lot of money if she can't get an ER job vs family. And I can't get a job (Cyber) in my field which is limited to big cities.

9. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

May 15, 2019
    At this stage you are absolutely insane if you choose to live more than 10 miles from wherever you go every day (work, school, etc). Because that 10 miles could be 10 minutes or 45 minutes.

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    Even Corona and Chino Hills have really started to build up, including local business economy. The biggest issue right now on that commute you suggested is the never-ending construction on the 15, just beyond the 91 connector. The drive is horrible even on the weekends right now.
    Lots of diversity in both LA and OC. Beach cities are very expensive but inland provides a lot of housing options and prices. Ladera Ranch or Las Flores for instance are great little communities.

TrojanCampaign likes this.
  11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    "Just 51% of Southern California households can comfortably buy an entry-level home — and they’d need to earn at least $70,090 annually, according to a California Association of Realtors first-time buyer financing index.

The association measures buying conditions for a hypothetical first-time house hunter with an index that assumes more generous borrowing terms than “traditional” affordability indexes. This math includes a smaller downpayment (10% vs. 20%); adjustable-loan rates vs. fixed; more household income toward the mortgage payment (40% debt-to-income vs. 30%); and buying a less expensive starter home (85% of the median price).....

In the region comprising Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura counties, the first quarter’s 51% first-timer affordability rate was slightly higher than 49% in the previous quarter and unchanged from 51% a year ago. Buyers needed an annual income of $70,090 to comfortably make the $2,340-a-month mortgage, taxes and insurance payments on a $432,650 home. For the traditional homebuyer, affordability dropped to 33% with $107,110 income needed to comfortably pay $2,680 a month for a $509,000 home.

Local affordability levels, even with more generous terms, fare poorly against statewide and national first-timer measurements........"
    https://www.ocregister.com/2019/05/15/only-51-of-southern-california-households-can-afford-an-entry-level-home/

dbw021 and zitorocks like this.
  12. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

May 15, 2019
    LA area has many pockets of great neighborhoods.....20 miles east of downtown is the South Hills/covina Hills area....my brothers house you dont even see from the street.... pasadena has some great neighborhoods....claremont area a little more east.....Friendly Hills in Whittier, etc etc.....my house sits on about 20k sqft lot, right next to the hills.....depends on what youre looking for.....im 30 minutes from the beach, 40 minutes from the ski slopes....of course, without traffic.... lol...

13. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    I have spent way too much time studying this crap. Finally moved out of Cali. But where exactly will the commute terminate for workplace? That has to be question #1. Everyone else is right on about the beech and water temps. Whatever you do avoid the IE and the SFV. There are still some secret places in the South Bay where you can have your cake and eat it too. And Orange County as well. Maybe let me know off line and I can point you in the right direction for your likes and needs. PS. I'm not in real estate.

TrojanCampaign likes this.
  14. TrojanCampaign

May 15, 2019
    Thanks, I will take you up on this!

15. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

May 15, 2019
    Live within 10 miles of your office otherwise you will spend 2-3 hours a day commuting.

I started to enjoy my life when I finally moved within 5 miles of my office after commuting 25 miles each way for 10 years. Traffic is horrible in LA and OC!

You will save money on gas and you will have more time to spend with your family.

VM805 and Pudly76 like this.
  16. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    I've lived in the San Gabriel Valley for over 30yrs now and it's full of affordable neighborhoods. Definitely consider being close to a public transit option. The train is a great option (and it serves Riverside if that's where you end up). A lot comes down to what job(s) are available and where they are. Good luck.

TeeUSC likes this.
  17. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    Check out Seal Beach

18. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    Lol. Come on now. They might find a little 1-room shack without utilities for around $750,000.

19. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    I have another suggestion for a job you can do at home....Stacey.

20. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

May 15, 2019
    Born in Fullerton, grew up in Anaheim, live in Fullerton, work in downtown LA. Half of our team is in SF. My running joke is USC alum Dexter from The Offspring famous refrain “gotta keep ‘em separated.” SF is the land of Social Justice Warriors. Most of LA is liberal, but there are pockets of conservatives. SF takes liberal to an extreme level.

The unfilled ER positions in LA are undoubtedly because few want them. It is the land of illegal aliens and homeless for whom the ER is their default medical care. Illegals and homeless have superior rights to those of us who pay tons of taxes.

I commute by rail/subway from Fullerton. The drive would be 26 miles and would take 1.5 hours in the evening; 1 hour in the AM if I leave before 6:00 am. Train/subway takes 1:15. I hate driving. Been hit 7x by uninsured illegal alien drivers who again have superior rights.

Last year bought a home in Stevensville, MT for retirement. Beautiful custom built home on 24 acres with spectacular views across the Bitterroot Valley to the Bitterroot range. The whole area is fly fishing central. My wife is retired and I have a few more years to go to get lifetime medical, which is the only gap in my portfolio. Sorry, but I’m not sticking around in CA to pay for someone else’s fat pension or bullshit housing for the homeless.

352D0A63-1FD1-4B89-9D0C-07B4CDAAA370.jpeg E3AA5D51-1116-4EC8-AC46-06213686B783.jpeg
    D5ED4659-DC8A-4E9F-B5E2-0463C60DC510.jpeg

Last edited: May 15, 2019