Super Bowl Halftime

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by old scotty, Feb 2, 2020.

1. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Who's the target audience? Ya gots ta be kiddin' me, right? It's men who love lots of beautiful women shakin' their assets! Now that was an investment worth my time ; )

Encore! Encore! More Ass! More Ass!

2. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Been trying to understand where we are as a country, in regards to pop culture and what that says about the nation. You could be cynical and dismiss the show as simply a "Latino" homage to performers you neither normally listen to, nor a culture you understand much about. Puerto Rico has a bigger influence in the East/Southeast, and Shakira covers South American Latinos. Keep in mind, the SB was in Miami.

No artists want to host the Oscars anymore. There are no prominent/obvious singers/bands that want to perform at the SB anymore, or at least bands/singers that appeal to the broad fanbase. We're over Katy Perry. Maroon 5 has gone the way of Coldplay or Nickelback...pretty much a punchline. Country music these days is an offshoot of pop/rap, really don't understand where it's going.

Bruno Mars is fantastic, but he had his turn.

Don't think there's an appetite for The Rolling Stones/Elton John/Billy Joel/Stevie Nicks to resonate w/ young & old.

What's left? There are no unifying performers left besides maybe Bruno Mars. Adele doesn't dance. Red Hot Chillipeppers? Billy Eilish?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Worth pointing out about Shakira's performance last night....

"During her performance of the song Waka Waka, the singer notably danced Champeta, a dance and musical genre that originated from the African descendants of Colombia's coastal regions, including Barranquilla, where the singer is from. According to Billboard, earlier in the performance, the singer danced Mapalé, another Afro-Colombian dance, known for it's swift and rapid movements that are meant to flow with the beat of the drum."

That's a good thing. I haven't watched the show in quite awhile but apparently they move along much more quickly without a host.

What exactly is the broad fanbase? If nothing else the NFL and the Super Bowl have a demographic they try to hit. There have been a wide range of performers as you say. Some better, some worse, some just not suited for that type of stage. Genesis was a great band but one of the worst concerts ever. Elton John could put on a show but even he is getting long in the tooth. Not sure you get much bigger than Beyonce, Gaga, or J Lo right now. Next year might bring Post Malone or Drake or Rihanna. Jay Z's purpose in working with the NFL was to use entertainment to highlight minorities in music. So expect more hip hop and rap.

You might see a Taylor Swift or Carrie Underwood but I suspect there would be complaints about them as well, save old scotty, lol. Honestly I don't think there is such a thing as "where we are" as a country where music is concerned. Isn't that good?

4. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020

How about NO HALFTIME SHOW! Nobody would miss it at all.

Honestly, I'd rather watch frisbee catching dogs rather than some hurried, weak 10 minute performance by an artist.

ca4usc, PickSicx and twenty twenty like this.
  5. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Some people found watching replay of the 2017 Rose Bowl uplifting entertainment.

6. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Feb 3, 2020
    what does this have to do with the Super Bowl halftime show?

7. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    I thought you said your halftime “uplifting” entertainment was you wrapping your lips around a representation of the love of your life’s prosthetic phallus and going to town....

8. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Feb 3, 2020
    CHili peppers were special guest during the Bruno Mars set. A lot was made of Flea playing without his Bass plugged in. As were the rest of the instruments.

A message from Flea (below) when the unplugged bass video was going viral. If you have ever seen Flea live, you know he would never want to feel as a fraud to music listeners or to his music itself. What is kind of funny in this message is that he said the NFL would have their vocals live. Most understand in fast moving dance routines during singing, lip syncing is usually a requirement due to how bad it sounds when the singer is moving about, breathing hard, etc. The NFL must not have known how active Keidis is on stage.

Dear everybody,

When we were asked by the NFL and Bruno to play our song Give It Away at the Super Bowl, it was made clear to us that the vocals would be live, but the bass, drums, and guitar would be pre-recorded. I understand the NFL’s stance on this, given they only have a few minutes to set up the stage, there a zillion things that could go wrong and ruin the sound for the folks watching in the stadium and the t.v. viewers. There was not any room for argument on this, the NFL does not want to risk their show being botched by bad sound, period.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers stance on any sort of miming has been that we will absolutely not do it. The last time we did it (or tried to) was in the late 80’s, we were thrown off of ‘The Top Of the Pops’ television program in the U.K. during rehearsals because we refused to mime properly, I played bass with my shoe, John played guitar atop Anthony’s shoulders, and we basically had a wrestling match onstage, making a mockery of the idea that it was a real live performance.

We mimed on one or two weird MTV shows before that and it always was a drag. We take our music playing seriously, it is a sacred thing for us, and anyone who has ever seen us in concert (like the night before the Super Bowl at the Barclays Center), knows that we play from our heart, we improvise spontaneously, take musical risks, and sweat blood at every show. We have been on the road for 31 years doing it.

So, when this Super Bowl gig concept came up, there was a lot of confusion amongst us as whether or not we should do it, but we eventually decided, it was a surreal-like, once in a life time crazy thing to do and we would just have fun and do it. We had given this a lot of thought before agreeing to do it, and besides many a long conversation amongst ourselves, I spoke with many musician friends for whom I have the utmost respect, and they all said they would do it if asked, that it was a wild trippy thing to do, what the hell. Plus, we the RHCP all love football too and that played a big part in our decision. We decided that, with Anthony singing live, that we could still bring the spirit and freedom of what we do into the performance, and of course we played every note in the recording specially for the gig. I met and spoke with Bruno, who was a beautiful dude, a real talented musician, and we worked out something that seemed like it would be fun.

We recorded a track for the day, just banged one out from our hearts that was very like in spirit to the versions we have been playing live the last few years with our beloved Josh on guitar.

For the actual performance, Josh, Chad, and I were playing along with the pre recorded track so there was no need to plug in our guitars, so we did not. Could we have plugged them in and avoided bumming people out who have expressed disappointment that the instrumental track was pre recorded? Of course easily we could have and this would be a non-issue. We thought it better to not pretend. It seemed like the realest thing to do in the circumstance. It was like making a music video in front of a gazillion people, except with live vocals, and only one chance to rock it. Our only thought was to bring the spirit of who we are to the people.

I am grateful to the NFL for having us. And I am grateful to Bruno, who is a super talented young man for inviting us to be a part of his gig. I would do it all the same way again.

We, as a band, aspire to grow as musicians and songwriters, and to continue to play our guts out live onstage for anyone who wants to get their brains blown out.

Sincerely,

Flea

nvargas likes this.
  9. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Wow, this topic could lend itself to a semester-long class. Music tastes are subjective of course, but there's a general zeitgeist to what's "hot" vs. when this venue decides to go "retro" or "consensus-popular". Billy Eilish is popular at the moment, but wouldn't be a good SB performance. Post Malone/Drake might be prolific, but you'll of course have the 50+ audience complaining.

These venues have tapped into retro in the past (Rolling Stones/Petty) with varying degrees of success. They've tried to go "middle-of-the-road" with Maroon 5/Coldplay, only to be lambasted and ridiculed. Beyonce like Bruno and Timberlake have had their shot, but you can only go to that well so many times, and certainly not consecutively.

JLo? Well...she's an option. She's known for a couple hits, and acting. She's w/ Arod now, so there's that. I asked my daughter if anyone her age listens to jlo and she said no. I don't listen to jlo...I suppose someone out there does. She's a badass! That's for sure. I got mixed perceptions on how empowering she could be (to Latinos, women over 50, etc.), but then was trying to square that with the direction of the performance (stripper-poll, crotch-rubbing and booty-bonanza). I'm confused whether I should be staring to oblige, or resist objectifying women in that way.

Gaga? Other than her recent co-ballad, she hasn't really done anything in years. She seems to want to distance herself from her early stuff and early persona, but the better performance was her early stuff. Jay Z? Been like 5 yrs since he's come out w/ something. He could certainly perform his older stuff, but he'd be neither "what's hot", nor broadly popular enough for the older crowd.

TayTay has some things to say, not sure the NFL want to hear it. Can she be limited to a scripted/contractual performance? IDK.

Rihanna? Perhaps. She may need to drop another album and generate some buzz.

My opinion: "True" well-rounded performers (performance, musically-gifted, charismatic) are pretty much dead. You had iconic artists of the 70's go into the 80's-90's (Elton, Billy Joel, Stevie Nicks, Petty, Springstein) , but are too old now. You had 80's fantastic performers (Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, U2, Madonna), that are either dead or just not relevant anymore. You had the last of the divas in the 90's (Mariah/Christina Aguillera, Gwen Stefani, Britney) and their male counterparts (Timberlake and JayZ), that are no longer relevant or prolific. What's left? Beyonce, TayTay, artist formerly known as "Gaga", Adele, Bruno, Timberlake? Adele is not a performer, Gaga wants to be something else...doesn't leave much.

10. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    It's built into the price at this point. If you're gonna remove it, better reduce tix prices accordingly...and that's not gonna happen. I'd imagine the halftime performance dovetails with the famous commercials...they're both an institution at this point.

11. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    I'd rather they just have the Puppy Bowl at halftime, with multiple camera angles showing cute puppies doing cute puppy things.

I had no problem with the halftime show, and I get how difficult it is to find an act(s) that appeal to the broadest possible audience.

All I ask of a halftime performer is that they give it their all, and I think Shakira and JLo certainly did that last night, as have the many performers of past super bowls, even Janet Jackson, lol.

uscvball likes this.
  12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Thank you for pointing those details out. I can certainly appreciate them, as this region is fascinating and one of my favorite singers (Carlos Vives), is also from Barranquilla and sings with Shakira. Cool of you to call that out...even if 80% of posters here don't know/care about it (just came up with that %).

13. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    The problem with the SB halftime show and high profile events in general is that the artists feel compelled to make a social/political statement. If they do they piss off half the country. If they dont then a very vocal minority will eviscerate them on social media for being cowards and sell outs.

It started with the stupid “costume malfunction” and exploded with Krapernick kneeling.

For me personally, I’ve gone to the same SB party for the last 10 years and my half time tradition is throwing a football around with the kids at the party so I’ve been immune to the shows—- except when I popped my head in just in time to see J Lo’s bulbous cheek on that poor guys shoulder.

14. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 3, 2020
    Yes, they support one another. Over the years, we've seen the half-time show seek to become "must see TV" to ensure it kept the viewership during half-time. To justify the high price for commercials.

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Basically, you can't please everybody. BTW, I certainly wasn't advocating for any repeats. It should probably be a one and done deal.

At the risk of sounding like a JLo junkie which I'm not, I think you may be underestimating her reach. Okay, so your daughter doesn't listen to her music. However, she's listed at #15 on the world's wealthiest musicians. She has a fortune worth just about half a billion. That's not from "a couple hits" and acting. She is singer, dancer, producer, actress, business mogul. Her engagement at Zappo's in Vegas set all kinds of records. Her clothing line which includes cosmetics and fragrances is making a facking mint. She was on American Idol for 3 seasons at $12M/per season. Holy pesos, batman! She's been in 40 movies....40. And she's been producer on 6 of those. She could easily be considered the most influential Latin performer in the world at this point even though she sees herself as a role model for single working moms. There hasn't been a multi-talent Latina like her since Rita Moreno.

As to the performance last night, that's exactly it. It was a performance. She is supposed to entertain. She starred in a movie last year called Hustlers which is about strippers. There was quite a bit of buzz about a potential Oscar nom and some backlash that she didn't receive one. I'd say last night, she told the Academy to eff off. She is a Latina. She has an ass. At 50, she works hard for that ass! My goodness, you'd see more scandalous dancing and outfits at carnivals around the world. She wasn't being objectified last night and neither were women.

Gaga was the Super Bowl halftime star 3 years ago which is why I mentioned her. Jay Z was asked within the last few years or so but didn't want to share the stage. Rihanna is another performer with reach well beyond her music. And yes, Taylor can carry the stage but it's not really her people. Beyonce is also another prior performer.

16. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Even if it weren't political, as this one was not (that I can tell), there's still the debate on who the consensus wants to see, who gives a good performance, who is hot and is there a connection to the region of the venue. Trying to satisfy all of these things alone, even subtracting any political statements...is pretty tough to do. Throw out a name and see several shred it.

I certainly don't want to see Toby Keith sing about putting a boot in some country's ass followed by a 'Merica rant. So even keeping things neutral, pretty tough to do.

17. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    Almost all of this could be said at 1 time or another for Madonna no (minus the Latina part, lol)? Not exactly, but the scales were similar. Madonna stayed fit into her 50's and was surely a mogul on that level. Yet, not many want to revisit that, nor have they wanted to in a looonnggg time. Not saying Jlo is Madonna, just stating their stature can't be the determining factor.

Respectfully, that seems like a bunch of justification tap-dancing. Perhaps she had her reasons/backstory (I was not aware of her movie, nor ever found her RomCom's all that entertaining - and I lubbb me some romcoms), all I could judge was what my eyes told me. I've heard that women don't like to be reduced to strippers in a rap video, pieces of meat that entertain, reduced to sexual gestures that men make. Maybe I have it all wrong and don't understand the nuance of when it's ok and when I don't have permission to enjoy that type of thing. I'm fully open to a re-education.

If it's a man's portrayal of sexualized women, it's bad. If women sexualize themselves to men, it's on their terms and they've taken back power? Did I get this right?

So after all that, what are your thoughts on who still might be viable options? You mentioned Drake/Jay Z/Rihanna/Post Malone? If Jay Z were to accept, it would look like a conflict of interest...since his partnership. Who's left?

18. twenty twenty

twenty twenty Junior Member

Feb 3, 2020
    SB Halftime is too long.

19. conquest4ever81

Feb 3, 2020
    I
    The highlights of that game are something to watch during halftime of SB.
    images (49).jpeg
    Awesome memories enjoyed by Trojans worldwide.

20. conquest4ever81

Feb 3, 2020
    Stop projecting your Chip Kelly fantasy.