Sunday media call notes: Helton remains optimistic

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 29, 2019.

1. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Remember when he said last year, "I can't wait for you to see this team in November?" I hope we are not on that same path! Fool me once, ........!
    Fight On!

FTFO/USC likes this.
  2. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    At this rate he may not even coach this team in November

3. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Reality again.....nicely stated. Besides, some seem to think JT was so much better than Fink.....not so. Unfortunately QB's that can't take a hit......can't take a hit. QB's that are relatively poor runners are poor runners. QB's that react slowly and use poor judgment......you know.

4. Yale

Yale Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 30, 2019
    I will stand by the truth of Dan Webers article...hellton is a pathological liar....it is about time we read something like his article here.
    Now is the time to get a new head coach and fire hellton...these athletes deserve what hellton promised them...which he knew he was never going to deliver .
    Did you see BYU's latest loss?
    And the latest recruiting class?

FTFO/USC likes this.
  5. anotherUSCheisman

anotherUSCheisman Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    This program will not improve until it learns how to tackle. Some of our DB's and a Safety act like they are scared to hit. Over the weekend I was finally able to watch some football thankfully so I could get the bad taste of bad football out of my mouth and the one thing I noticed was college and NFL most or all other teams tackle low and we continue to tackle high, if we even make a tackle. When Ohio State hits a runner he goes down, when our defensive backfield and most LB's hit a runner they get ridden for 5-15 yards after contact.

6. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Helton sounds like a hack politician, running for reelection and trying to defend a bad economy. As if he is saying" give me another turn, and watch the economy soar on my watch, all the pieces of ny plan will be in place." It is total BS, and he has no clue what to do.
    I will celebrate the day he is fired, and we start to remove the stench he has produced.

KeenObserver and AZUSCfan like this.
  7. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Helton has to be careful with those "a break here or there would have made a difference" claims before someone calls him on it. Utah outgained USC, had more first downs, had twice the time of possession and still lost, in part, due to an untimely turnover. As close as USC is to being 5-0, there are just as close to being a 1-4.

8. trojanworld

trojanworld Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Great teams don’t let their starting quarterbacks get hammered into oblivion. Imagine if New England let
    Tom Brady get hit all the time .

Coaches instill toughness into their program, not charmin softness.

9. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Helton should have never been hired and even he knows it. Thus Helton is just happy to be here. He has no philosophy because he was not on a coaching tree at all. He has never been a success or tutored by a successful coach.

Recall Lane Kiffin stopping by Memphis in the middle of the night, on his way out of Knoxville, grabbing a sleeping Clay Helton and throwing him in the back seat of the car to add him to his staff. Thats how Clay became associated with SC at all. Then he fell into the head coach role due to being there and being not Sark or Kiffin.

Now he simply repeats platitudes to the media, kisses up to opposing coaches to his players and admin alike, all with the hope of staying where he knows he doesn’t belong, having advanced his career further than he could have imagined as a HC at USC.

He has no clue how to fix the problems that he sees, which are merely symptomatic of the bigger problem... the guy at the top.

10. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019

Yes they are but why does it take 4 games to reach the level of what we had at the end of last season?

11. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019

The key is what you just described. Those programs have an extremely concise scheme with coaching in place where they can plug in new players and or coaches that fit their model.

We are not there yet.

Carson2Kareem likes this.
  12. BacktoGlory

BacktoGlory Member

Sep 30, 2019
    "These men fought with honor." I'll trade your honor for a win.

13. FTFO/USC

FTFO/USC Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    My guy Jack Sears. Is there another reason he was #4 on the depth chart?

14. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Perhaps the whole team rebels against Helton. During WW2, some Allied prisoners in large groups would agree with each other to rush at Nazi guards because of strength in numbers.

[​IMG]

FTFO/USC likes this.
  15. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Sep 30, 2019
    The only words I want to hear from him is either ‘I’m resigning effective immediately’ or ‘these men kicked their a$$ today’.

Im afraid I will hear neither

OC2SC likes this.
  16. Daniel Blaine

Daniel Blaine Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Just like last year ... did he look at last years post game statements? Is he thinking - it worked last year why not this year - suckers? Tell me how has the team improved.. has recruting improved? has tackeling improved? has turmover margin improved....etc? What is his basis for thinking this ? Is he just being wishful - I think so

17. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Yawn! Helton is better off not saying anything after a loss and just go directly to the questions. His act is getting old.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  18. 2blkk

2blkk Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Want to read. What article

19. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Yep. I cannot watch another Helton presser. I can't read another Helton game synopsis. Seeing his face and listening or reading anything about Clay Helton makes me hurl my breakfast, lunch, and dinner *barf*

AZUSCfan, oldtrojan93 and Cyrus like this.