Summation of Recruiting, 2020: One Fan's Perspective

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by PickSicx, Dec 20, 2019.

1. SC Forever

SC Forever Points Member

Dec 21, 2019
    At least Kicking position is three deep. LOL

2. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Dec 21, 2019
    It’s simplistic to say that Helton is just plain bad and has always been bad.

It’s not like Helton inherited JT Daniels, Kedon Slovis, Michael Pittman and Amon Ra St. Brown from some previous head coach. Mostly the same guys who successfully recruited them fell flat on their faces this year.

So what changed?

I doubt it’s Harrell. Sure seems like kids would want to play for him.

I’m getting convinced by the theory that Helton and company just didn’t work as hard as the coaches they were competing against. Not saying they have always been lazy because they were more successful in prior years. A Helton defender might say Helton was hamstrung by the talk that he was getting fired. A Helton critic might say Helton was sure he would be fired and just phoned it in. I doubt it was that simple either way. Maybe there was a little of both.

Somebody talked about Pete Carroll years ago. He said that with most other coaches their job was football and their hobby was something else. Maybe golf. Whatever. But with Pete his job was football and his hobby was football. He was just very competitive. Pete worked harder than you did, and that’s why he beat you.

That’s not most coaches, and in particular that’s not Helton. I don’t begrudge Helton putting the best spin on it he can in public. But in private, when the fans and the media aren’t around, Helton and the whole recruiting operation got beat because they got outworked.

Butcher22 likes this.
  3. reaLchaZZZy

reaLchaZZZy Junior Member

Dec 22, 2019
    Thanks for taking the time to post this Sicx! Stat #1 is unbelievable. We went 1 for 113. That's almost impossible to do at any Pac 12 school let alone one with a pedigree like USC.

4. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 22, 2019
    This here is an illustration of helton. It has always been about him and his family/ friends Tyson, Callaway, Clancy, Deforest, Baxter getting paid. Go, I think you may be right. When helton thought he may be gone he said F-USC and decided not to leave the cupboard full for the next coach. In my line of work when one of the attorneys leave for another job they make sure all of their files are in tip top shape for the next person that comes on board to handle the account. These attorneys are respected. The attorneys who once they know are leaving let the files go to shit for the next attorney are despised. Which one is helton.

5. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 22, 2019

6. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Dec 22, 2019
    You make some great points.

This has been the case since he took over. Soft practices are a result of what you stated as being lazy. Being lazy to prepare for games affects recruiting by eliminating those who have a vision for their own future. They know not to come here if they want to take the next step. I'm not saying that ALL the coaches are lazy but the one's who know how to prepare for the next level are being hamstrung by a rudder that is lazy.

As 51 put it the other day it's better to have a coach who puts the fear of God in you than a coach who's worried about being liked. We have a coach who is more interested in being a "pal" instead of a disciplinarian and setting some structure for development.

I'll bet Slovis takes a step back this next season the faster he gets away from Warner. Helton has done this to other recruits too. The drop off from Sam wasn't a fluke. Many come here with talent only to flounder and unless Helton wakes up this will only get worse with the 3 stars completely disappearing.

7. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Dec 22, 2019
    This recruiting class can be summed up in one word: fiasco.

Complete and utter.

‘Tis a shame that this is the state of a once-storied program.

For me, the best thing to do is to not care anymore. This administration doesn’t care, so I won’t. As a result, they won’t be getting any of my money.

Won’t be watching the bowl game, either. Will actually be rooting for Iowa. Anything to hasten the firing to helLton.

Until then, bye bye USC football. Maybe one day we will be together again ....

PickSicx likes this.
  8. 87trojan

87trojan Points Member

Dec 22, 2019
    A well done write up. I love the Heltoning line. Absolutely epic. In my post about 2020, I wrote about what needs to be expected next year. Bohn has to be able to cut bait the very second loss #3 happens. Now that sounds like a lot, but I think all of us are assuming Bama is a loss. If it is an embarassing loss, the snowball downward could be a real problem. Bohn is out of do overs even on the job as short a time as he has been.

My greatest fear is that he wins 8 games, wins the South and somehow Bohn sees this as progress and still does zilch.

Nope 10 wins or more this year or you must, must, must FIRE.

I see it as a mountain Helton probably won't be able to climb, but Bohn signed off on year 5. That is a done deal. A midseason firing is essential the very second this guy loses 3 games. Not expecting the tarmac approach, but then I haven't seen what opponent we have in Game 6 yet. Year 5 of Helton should really be a 6 game season. If he isn't bare minimum 4-2, see ya. Pack your bags, and call the moving vans. I'd be happy to do it for Bohn. Just need 24 hour notice so I can call off of work.