Submit questions for Thursday mailbag

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Nov 27, 2018.

2. 1diehardSCFan

1diehardSCFan Junior Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Garry, do you believe SC will cough up the cash necessary to compete with other teams to hire top flight assistants? If the cash is offered, will Helton actually be able to attract top assistants, or is the situation too toxic?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Any reaction to all the craziness from recruits that you've heard so far? In your opinion, will these developments be a net positive or negative on recruiting?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. TrojanHoarse

TrojanHoarse Junior Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Thanks Garry!...

When do you think the decision was made to part ways with so many assistant coaches? And don't you think it's not a great look when coaches are making recruiting calls and some v important in-home visits to top targets one night and then bam next day they're unemployed? What's really going on/Who goofed we've got to know.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. SC MOJO

SC MOJO Junior Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Gary,

With Helton being kept in place (for obvious reasons, Mr. $wann), how do you see Clay overcoming two of the most glaring of obstacles: 1 - The lack of discipline on the field?
    2 - Clay's inability to have his finger on the pulse of the game (i.e. punting @ TX with 8:30 left @ TX 44 down by 3 scores)?

Thanks!

Fans will Fight On! too. We're Trojans.

6. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Garry- I was furious when I saw that Helton was being retained. I believe that he is hopelessly in way over his head, and has no business running our program. I also fell this must be painfully obviuos to Swann. That being said, what scenario do you feel is most likely in forming our AD's decision:
    1) He makes #3 million a year to raise money, and won't jeoapardize his situation
    2) Because he played a role in Helton's extension, he doesn't want to look like he is eating crow by letting Clay go
    3) He is concerned that with the school not having a permanent President and with all of the lawsuit noise,and feels like a coaching search now would create a much smaller pool of potential qualified candidates.Therefore his plan will be to let go of Helton at the end of next year, barring a miracle.
    Thanks for any insight you can lend.

7. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Garry.. can you state which assistant coaches from 2018 have been let go or left and which ones have been retained . After reading all the threads thus Tuesday evening I am confused

8. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Nov 27, 2018
    BtoB, I think your 3rd scenario just might be the real story here. Jmo.

dc4usc and CrownoftheValley like this.
  9. Rugby140

Rugby140 Points Member

Nov 27, 2018
    It seems like the assistant coaches that were not retained were on the lower end of the payscale, except for maybe Tee. Could that have been a mutual parting considering his role was going to regress much like the offense did. The coaches retained is that financially based or was there real thought about what is best for football success. If so, can you explain it to me..... Contrary to what many posters opine, coaching at USC is still a great gig. If you're a good coach, you will work with good talent and it will get noticed. Look at McCullough, one year here then the NFL. I'm sure that Swann is seeing plenty of interest in the vacancies. Do you have faith he can make the best choices. Was he already making a short list for the vacancies or is he starting from scratch? Do you know how he is evaluating the prospects, the returning coaches, an evaluation team, or just his gut?

10. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I really hope so Blueblood. I don't want to believe Swann retained Clay just for self interest.

BlueBlood likes this.
  11. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    GarryP, what names are you hearing for all the assistant positions?

12. KeepCalm&FightOn

KeepCalm&FightOn Junior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Hi Garry--

Kingsbury is a name strongly being tossed around for OC. Big name, talented dude... but in your opinion would he be the right guy? His air raid mentality, combined with Clays love for passing, really doesn't get us back to the 'tough, physical, run first' style we all have been asking for. Also, how would Drevno play into this mix? How much input do you think (the former Michigan OC but ultimately just) the Oline coach would have? Lastly, do we have a fullback on the field week 1 next season. Many thanks as always--

13. KeepCalm&FightOn

KeepCalm&FightOn Junior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Another, less serious question... A few years ago, Clay said he wanted us to be like Stanford. Then this year, he and Swann all but said that our rebuild would be based on the Notre Dame model.

I guess my question is: Do you see an issue with our admins consistently trying to be other programs when we should just try to be SC?

When all else fails, I suppose we can just copy another rival in ucla and land a big name coach next year....

14. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Garry, have you heard anything about a 200 million dollar payout by USC from some lawsuit? And who might that person be?

15. Willlson!

Willlson! Junior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Garry,

Little off the coaching topic, how bad is Vavae's injury? MCL surgery this late in the year may mean he'll miss 2019...

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  16. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Nov 28, 2018
    We are three weeks out from the early signing period. Who do you think will sign their NLI to become a Trojan next month?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  17. listen2menow&hearmelater

listen2menow&hearmelater Junior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Assuming Kliff Kingsbury is named OC, do you believe he will be able to pick his starting QB?

18. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Garry, I was hoping you could clear up a question I had about which LB positions the 2018 recruits are playing.

My understanding is that IE and Scott are at ILB, Mauga is playing Iosefa's OLB position (I forget what exactly this is called in our defense) and McClain is playing the predator spot (Gustin's position). Is Solomon T expected to play ILB or Iosefa's position? Does Levi Jones leaving the program along with Cam Smith graduating affect that at all? And is Winston at the predator spot like McClain or Iosefa's spot like Mauga?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. SC Forever

SC Forever Points Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Garry,

I want to see physical SC team like old days and I believe it all starts with our Head strength and Conditioning coach. I don't think we can change our culture under Ivan Lewis.

Is there any rumor that we will have new Head strength and Conditioning coach? Any candidates who are available?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    gubo&palanka and Moose4usc like this.