Submit questions for Thursday mailbag

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Aug 7, 2018.

2. SCFTFO

SCFTFO Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Garry,

It's pretty common for 2 or more of the 5 starting offensive linemen to be out nursing an injury on any given week. A year or two ago, Helton talked a lot about cross-training guys at different positions to be ready for this innevitability. Has cross-training been a point of emphasis in spring and fall camp so far? Second question, name 3 linemen who look ready to step up to fill the gaps in those situations.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. TrojanManDan132

TrojanManDan132 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Hey GP,
    1 - Assuming our starting OL is Jackson/Bradley, Brown, Lobendan, Vorhees, & Edoga, who looks like our 2nd group of 5?
    2 - Please give us an update on our 6 frosh LB's.
    Thanks, TMD

Islander 4 USC and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  4. FightOn_2017trojan

FightOn_2017trojan Points Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Hi Gary, first time question coming
    Who is having more say with the OL group now? Is Drevno essentially running the OL room and Callaway being forced out?

Also
    How much potential does USC's defense have? Best since Pete.. For USC to be on the level of playoff contenders it needs a in your face defense smash mouth get after the qb.

Merlin4SC and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    OL vs DL review after pads on. RB s also

in2nation and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  6. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Does this team have a chance to have a 2011 type season? given the depth especially? more so if JT or Sears handle the QB position.

7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    It was interesting how in the Roundtable the only mention of the offensive line was about Toa's snapping issues. That is certainly not good, just how bad is it? Is it so bad that Toa appears to have some form of the yips? What is Plan B both at center and with Toa? And what about the rest of the line, how are they doing?

Merlin4SC and Pudly76 like this.
  8. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Aug 7, 2018
    I’m curious, since we haven’t heard much about Gustin, are our left tackles doing pretty well? I’m sure hoping so!

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. Strongtrojan

Strongtrojan Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Does practice this year indicate that our QB will be under center more often or use a fullback more often?

in2nation and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  10. troypwr

troypwr Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Garry,
    What's your take on camp so far on the physicality scale? Since we can't see and hear the pops from our computers I'd like to get your perspective from the field. Full pads go on Wednesday and I'm hoping things get intense.

in2nation likes this.
  11. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    What effect do you think playing in the new Gray Lady (in drag) will have on the sense of home for the football team?

12. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    It's early, but I'll pose a question from a few months back to see if anything has changed:

Will the offense be run first, pass second, leveraging the RB's and pushing the OL to pile drive first and foremost, as the young QB (whoever it is) essentially manages the game first, and makes plays second? This also assumes a USC defense that can shut down opponents (meaning USC doesn't need 24+ points to win game in and out).

13. Burak Uslu

Burak Uslu Points Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Hi Garry, I am liking the news of more physical 11-on-11 practices. Do you think the practices represent the Pete Carrol's practices are harder than actual games regime or are these more to determine which QB to start?

I would love physical practices to extend into the season. I am scared of no pads Novembers to come back again. Also do you think Porter Gustin's injury will scare the coaches and tone down the hits?

14. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Hi Garry, I read an article a week or so ago about the message board community and its sometimes high-profile members who browse and post in anonymity. Without calling out any current coaches or active posters, can you share a story or two of some high profile members our board might have seen? As always, thanks for all of your hard work. It really helps to whet the appetite of the hard-core fans.

15. Mightymoe77

Mightymoe77 Points Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Garry,

Talofa my brother!
    My question to you is this. For the past several years now Coach Helton has emphasized a run first/ run heavy team. If this is still the case, don't you believe that this would be better achieved if it were run out of an "I" formation?
    I truly believe that it would and
    here's my reasoning as to why:

-Carr/Ware/Vae out of an I formation with a lead fullback, in my opinion, would be huge.

-QB under center could help Toa with his snapping issues.

-Besides Fink, I don't think Sears or Daniels are gonna fool many with the option read. Lets be honest here. 95% of the time their handing off.

-I believe it sets up the play action so much better. Sanchez to Ronald Johnson were a thing of beauties.

Was wondering what your thoughts on this were. Thanks Garry for all you do.

~Moe

Islander 4 USC likes this.
  16. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Moe, I would add Steppe to that group as well. He is looking more and more like a three years and done player. Maybe Steppe is the answer to short yardage and goal line situations USC has been awful at but with the ability to also take any run all the way. We'll see...

Islander 4 USC and Mightymoe77 like this.
  17. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Aug 8, 2018
    To this and others' questions, I would say, "WHAT FULLBACK? WE DON'T DO FULLBACKS ANYMORE!" And I would say with the install having taken place, it's a little late to revamp the O scheme to convert someone to FB and run primarily out of the I at this point. I would also be surprised that Toa didn't do any snapping practice in PRP knowing he would be at center. So I don't see a need to panic on this. What sayeth the GarryP?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  18. Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Garry, last season (and particularly this past recruiting cycle) there was a sizable discussion around special teams performance and scholarships. From what you've seen so far, who should we expect to start at place kicker and punter? On a scale of 1-10 how confident are you in our kicking game? And what do you think is the ideal number of scholarships to hand out to special teams players inclusive of long snappers?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Garry;

What is the point of running dueling 11 on 11 sessions? IE, "2 sets?" Is it to stir up the QB competition quicker? Or is it to help with the fewer number of practices this year. Do we have the staff to actually observe that correctly, or is it for film analysis?

20. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Aug 8, 2018
    So with you here. Don’t understand the continued call for a FB... they are a dying breed with the types of offenses being run these days. Why take away an extra receiver for the sake of a FB? There may be a handful of plays where they might fit into the equation, but we’re not going to recruit FBs that we’ll rarely use. This for the most part is a non-issue.