Submit questions for Thursday mailbag

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Jul 10, 2018.

2. USC92

USC92 Points Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Can you provide any updates on defensive line recruiting? Specifically the NT position (Ika, Tuitele, Pola Mao, anyone else). It seems like they need some big bodies up front with the potential of Pili, Marlon, and/or Tufele able to leave after the 2019 season.

3. USC92

USC92 Points Member

Jul 10, 2018
    I also haven't seen much about the following incoming freshman - Devon Williams, Abdul Malik-McClain, Eli'jah Winston, Liam Douglass, and Isaac Taylor-Stuart. Could you provide anything you've seen from these guys? Do they look ready to contribute this year, do they look better than expected/during their HS senior year, or do they all need a redshirt year to get bigger or more prepared for the college level?

4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Garry, it looks like the Trojans are stockpiling an incredible amount of talent on defense. Formerly thin areas like CB and LB suddenly have numerous potential starters with more coming in 2019's class.

My question is this: I think we can expect the defense to be better in 2018. But is this the year or is it sometime in the near future? There will be a lot of DBs graduating and Gustin and Cam are seniors. It seems to me though that the talent coming up will be superior and deeper. But the defense might be fairly young next year especially in the secondary. So if it's not 2018, what about 2019 or 2020 when all this young talent has a chance to mature.

Out of the next three years, when do you expect all the talent to be at a maximum so the Trojans can field the most dominant defense? Any reasons why? Thanks Garry.

Pudly76 and in2nation like this.
  5. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Hi Garry, wasn’t Drevno hired as not only as the RB coach, but also the run-game coordinator? That would mean input on blocking schemes, i.e. O line. Has there been any change on the way the O line is lining up, blocking, pulling, etc., that would show his influence? Or, is that something that would show more during fall camp?

crank31 likes this.
  6. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    GarryP, with all the interest in recruiting.
    How long have the coaches been aware of and recruiting the top players before it is known to us keyboard qb’s?

in2nation likes this.
  7. TrojanManDan132

TrojanManDan132 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Garry,
    I'm looking forward to seeing the following 2nd year players on the field this season. Please give a quick preview for each.
    OL - Austin Jackson & Alijah Vera-Tucker
    TE - Josh Falo
    WR - Randall Grimes
    DL - Jay Tufele, M Tuipulotu, & B Pili
    DE - J. Lichtenstein & H. Echols
    LB - Levi Jones & J. Falaniko
    CB - Greg Johnson
    S - B Bolden & I Pola-Mao
    Thanks GP and Fight On!

8. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Garry,

IMG vs Mater Dei will be played on the same night as USC’s dreaded Friday night game against Wazzu. I for one will be skipping the Friday DTLA traffic mess and opt for this epic high school matchup.

My question:
    Would you be surprised to see a USC Coach or Analyst at the high school game considering the recruiting talent on the field to evaluate in person? Or is it all hands on deck for Wazzu?

Pudly76 likes this.
  9. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Hey Garry do you happen to know if there are any plans to replace the outdated stadium lighting for the Coliseum? It seems light that would be a major necessary improvement.

10. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Garry-which incoming freshman from Mater Dei (if any) will be the first to crack the starting lineup in 2018 (excluding ST)?

11. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    And will they ever upgrade the &%#^@ wi-fi?