Submit mailbag questions

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Nov 17, 2020.

2. Trojan Forever

Trojan Forever Points Member

Nov 17, 2020
    Erik:
    What are the dates of the commitment process this year? I assume there is still an early and late commitment period. Have the dates changed due to the changes in the fall football schedules?
    In addition, it seems that USC commitments that were rolling in the summer have stopped. Is this due to a quiet period or have we lost momentum (e.g. the switch from SC to ND yesterday).

3. Burak Uslu

Burak Uslu Points Member

Nov 17, 2020
    Erik,

One of the posters mentioned in one of the threads and I wanted to get your opinion.

Sam Darnold struggled with his accuracy and throw after working on his mechanics in offseason between his first year starting and his last season.

Both games, Slovis struggled with his throwing motion early in the game when he had time to think about and correct it. But when the game is on the line and defaulted to his instincts, his balls came out beautifully? This leads me to ask, Is there any chance that Clay Helton, who is a QB coach by trait, might have tried to correct some of Slovis' beautiful throwing motion?

4. SCthe1

SCthe1 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2020
    Erik, what is USC's plan to address LB recruiting? It doesn't seem wise to rely on injury prone players like Solo and Iosefa for next year and this unit is in need of a massive infusion of speed to be effective. It is frustrating to watch EA playing slower, than his footspeed (which is not fast), because of indecision. We seemed to have regressed at LB.

In the past SC would find safeties that could move to LB, like Dion Bailey, Sua Cravens. Is there time to do some of that this season (yes I know Raymond Scott has moved back to LB)? Very concerned about our D.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. Burak Uslu

Burak Uslu Points Member

Nov 17, 2020

6. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Nov 17, 2020
    Erik,

While I understand and appreciate that we're 2-0 on the season, we could just as easily be 0-2 heading into week 3 against Utah in SLC. I have no confidence in this team to beat Utah this weekend nor do I have any confidence in this team to beat Colorado if they should be our opponent this weekend. My question is, how much more evidence is needed for Carol Folt and the BOT to realize that Clay Helton is simply in over his head and needs to be replaced? While I would love to see USC make a move for Urban Meyer, I would also be very happy with either Luke Fickell or Matt Campbell. But it seems like all of those coaches could be on the move to bigger and better opportunities this off-season if jobs like Texas, Michigan and others open up. I feel like it may be now or never for USC to get our next coach before the guy we might really want is gobbled up by someone else. What are your thoughts?

7. scksig78

scksig78 Active Member

Nov 18, 2020
    Erik,
    It seems that ever since the college football season got underway, all the questions and concerns about the potential long term health risks (myocarditis) due to COVID have all but disappeared. Any thoughts about why?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. USC1

USC1 Junior Member

Nov 18, 2020
    Erik
    What have heard about the teams feeling of the McClain brothers leaving? I know a few players tweeted out their support when Munir had his press conference. Do you anticipate Helton getting any negative player reaction other than his inability to coach a hard nose discipline team?

9. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Nov 19, 2020
    Not Erik, but cases of myocarditis were found to be much less frequent than originally thought. Still a concern because the risk of sudden death would be greater in an athlete who had it. Protocols for COVID positive athletes still require heart screening before returning to play. Remember Trevor Lawrence not playing against ND - had not completed the heart screening required by the ACC.

10. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Nov 20, 2020
    Any opinion about the job offensive line coach Drevno is doing? He's struck out on top OL recruits, but it looks like he might have uncovered some unheralded prospects. Drevno says he's happy with the way the line has played so far, yet their individual player rankings by one evaluation service is bad, except for Vera-Tucker, who has had NFL-level performances. One SC writer said Drevno is at a disadvantage because his predecessor left him with no quality depth and there's a bad recruiting environment due to Helton's uncertain future. Any opinions?

J4SC75, PacTrojan and gubo&palanka like this.
  11. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Nov 20, 2020
    Hi Eric, how do you see this recruiting class shaping up? How many of our out of state commits do you predict to remain as part of this class regardless of our final record or head coach? Thanks.

12. scksig78

scksig78 Active Member

Nov 20, 2020
    Thanks for the input! I wondered why Lawrence was able to be on the sidelines but not able to play.

13. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Nov 20, 2020
    If and when the USC/Notre Dame rivalry resumes will USC get the next home game? Traditionally games played in even years are out west, but with the cancellation this year USC would have to potentially skip a year. While on that subject, now that the PAC-12 is open to non-conference opponents is there any chance of rescheduling ND for a December match up?

14. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Nov 20, 2020
    With Mo Hasan out for an injury, what can you tell us about the remaining backup QBs behind Fink - Isaac Ward and Brad Aoki. Are they real options if something happened to both Slovis and Fink in a game, or is the season done in that case.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  15. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Nov 20, 2020
    Do we have a big ugly oline coming in? Already signed? a wish list recruit for NSD next Feb?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  16. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Nov 20, 2020
    Javon Briggs, a former 4* DL, former recruit of Coach Vic at UVA, has entered the transfer portal. Any chance he comes to SC?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  17. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Nov 20, 2020
    Risk of sudden death with myocarditis is greater with physical exertion, so standing on the sideline is not a big deal.

18. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

Nov 21, 2020
    I agree. The longer Helton is the head coach, the longer the years to turn around the program to be successful and be a top 5 ranked team competing for NC's.