Submit Mailbag Questions

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Oct 15, 2019.

2. Burak Uslu

Burak Uslu Points Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Dear Erik,

I see a little bit of a slow response generally from coaches when it comes to younger players development. As a fan, I read practice reports from summer and fall camps about up and coming younger athletics. You wait for them to take their chances, and see them younger flash with little opportunities, later to realize that they should have had more play-time all along.

This is not just for true for Helton. Pete Carrol also had a babysitting approach getting his players ready. This was true with Kiffin and Sark. We all wanted Allen Bradford, Ronald Jones and many players get more playtime earlier.

Is it just a fan base frustration, or do I not see something that the coaches know and these players need more time?

I look forward to a larger load of Stepp against Arizona. I wish it was not at Vavae Malepeai. How do you think Stepp will manage more than ten carries?

Also, I am a little frustrated with being promised a fast pace air-raid, only to be told after ND game that we may get an up-tempo offence finally against Arizona. When Steve Sarkisian arrived, his spring and fall camp promise was getting USC to 95 offensive plays a game. Somehow that pretty much never materialized. Graham Harrel's plan before the season was same, oddly he mentioned a similar number. I am a little bit confused because this plan was never acted. But after the ND game, Harrel explained in a post-game presser that he noticed the offence played much better when we played up-tempo. Helton also mentioned that the play calls arrive faster in the second half of the ND game that help increase the tempo. Which is a little bit confusing for me, since Harrel comes from an air-raid fast-paced offensive system. Can you explain at what stage of the season, we had decided to run a slow-paced offence? Isn't this a little confusing that USC runs air-raid at a slow pace and is it even possible?

Thank you always and fight on!

3. Trojan Trev

Trojan Trev Active Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Hi Erik-

In your opinion, why has it taken so long for Markese Stepp to get more involved in the offense? He seems like he could be a special back with his size, good hands, and good speed, and should result in more touches a game. Is is more of learning the playbook, or Clay's penchant to try and distribute carries evenly and not have a feature running back?

4. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Whatever happened to Briton Allen? I understand he plays safety and our injury problems are at CB. However, with all that's going on with the secondary, I would think at some point he would be called on to contribute. The reports from training camp were promising. Has he seen the field at all this season? If not, do you think it's a case of Clancy not yet trusting the true freshman to avoid big-play mistakes?

5. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Hi Erik,

While I'd hate to see a redshirt year burned with only 6 games to go, why are the coaches so reluctant to put Keenan Christon out on the field for 4 games to return kicks and run some jet sweeps to add an infusion of speed to the team?

On a similar note, why is Velus Jones never placed in the slot to run some jet sweeps or bubble screens or used to blow the top off of a defense to open up the underneath passing game for the possession receivers?

Boselli and Trojan Trev like this.
  6. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Erik,

In your opinion, if heaven forbid we lost our next two games to Arizona and Colorado and were mathematically eliminated from contention on winning the PAC-12 South, even without a new AD in place, would the school move on from Clay Helton mid season or would they still wait till the season was over? My feeling is the longer we wait, the more detrimental it is to the 2020 recruiting class which will have a far greater negative impact than just the 2020 season.

7. USCDDS

USCDDS Points Member

Oct 16, 2019
    If/when Clay Helton is fired, do you think any other Power 5 (or even Group of 5) schools would call him for their openings? Do you think he would even take those calls, or do you ever get a sense that CCH knows he's not HC material or prefers being an assistant coach?

8. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 16, 2019
    Erik, in your opinion as fan as well as you opinion as a journalist, what are the legitimate expectations for a USC head football coach over 5, 10, and 15 years?

9. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Oct 16, 2019
    I was surprised to see true freshman and lightly recruited Makaula step in to play safety for some of the ND second half and Jimmons step in to spell McKenzie at offensive guard in the second half. I know we were hit with injuries in the second half , but these two guys were the last 2 I would think would step into those positions in a big game. Have they really stepped up their game and shown some ability? Looks like Makaula bypassed Pollard and Briton Allen, while Jimmons moved from OT to pass a number of backup guard options.

10. Fourthseed

Fourthseed Junior Member

Oct 16, 2019
    I'm not optimistic, but what do you think the chances are that USC's football team builds on the second half of the ND game and brings that to the UA game and all the games following?

11. 559er

559er Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Why are the linebackers so ineffective this year? Did the scheme change? The position seems more like an afterthought than a presence.

Boselli likes this.
  12. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Erik,

There’s a ton of noise out in the media about Helton’s inevitable (just reading what’s out there) future. Recruiting is way off, and the season is in real jeopardy.

How is the team handling all the distractions?

13. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Oct 17, 2019
    When/If USC makes a coaching change who do you think would be the biggest surprise players in terms of contributing on the field?

I mean the guys that would cause us fans to say,

WOW what took so long to get him on the field or why wasn’t he playing earlier?