Submit Mailbag Questions

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Submit Mailbag Questions
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 23, 2019
    Submit your questions here for this week's mailbag.

New numbers for incoming players, media day on Wednesday, prepping for the start of fall camp.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.

2. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Erik, do you think that the Trojans scheduling UC Davis is a good move? Given how the SEC games the system and Pac 12 teams play 9 Conference games, scheduling a cupcake FCS team is not a bad thing.

Second question: What are your thoughts on recent commit Kobe Pepe? In my mind, this kid could turn out to be Helton's best D Line commit in awhile and is underrated by the Internet ratings services.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Ok, I have another question: I see JoJuan Collins as a must get in this recruiting cycle. What say you?

4. KeckTMB

KeckTMB Active Member

Jul 23, 2019
    As a Punahou and SC Alum, I like to follow those players' careers (Mosi Tatupu!).
    I think you're one of the first to mention Tufono as an early contributor at the otherwise loaded MLB position; it also seemed like some on the recruiting board weren't thrilled when he committed.

Could you elaborate on his chances to see the field sooner rather than later?

5. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Erik, what are your thoughts on the #5 jersey? Do you think it will ever be issued to an incoming player again ? And do you think it should?

gubo&palanka and ConquerorSC like this.
  6. Touchdown for USC

Touchdown for USC Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Who in the athletic department is in charge of scheduling for the football and basketball teams?

ConquerorSC likes this.
  7. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Looks like over half of the 2020 top 300 national recruits have already committed, and USC has interest from just a handful of the remaining top 300. Will there be little left in the cupboard for us to pursue by the time the early signing period rolls around, even if we turn things around on the field?

AZTrojan38 likes this.
  8. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Erik,

Recently, Aaron Ausmus called out his "team leaders" for a one-on-one personal discussion and challenged them to lead. Ausmus doubted that the perceived "team leaders" were the real deal. He then said he believed that there are other players who he and his staff believe are the real deal.

My question: If you had to predict then who in your opinion are this year's Team Captains, how many will be Seniors, and how many captains will be picked?

Thank you!

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  9. Coopsc72

Coopsc72 Junior Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Is Kyle Ford going full speed in PRPs? Have you seen Bru at PRPs?
    I can't imagine another D1 program having the size SC has at the WR position.

10. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 24, 2019
    With all the discussion about who the best returners have been for the Trojans, I was reminded about how incredibly weak the SC return game has been since Adoree left. Harris was a disaster as a PR, and other than zigging and zagging a lot Velus has never inspired hope for a return touchdown either, at least not for me. As we all know, cheap quick-strike touchdowns from special teams are gold.

Who will be the return men in 2019? Will any of them have the explosiveness to inspire hope that a return touchdown is about to happen? Thanks Erik.

gubo&palanka, Hockey10 and AZUSCfan like this.
  11. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Judging by the Thursday and Friday night football games, I'd say Larry Scott.

12. scksig78

scksig78 Active Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Erik,
    1. Any idea when McCoy & Steele will find about their eligibility?
    2.Based on what you've seen and heard, do you think Aaron Ausmus will be the guy to successfully return a culture of physicality and toughness to the program?
    3. I see a lot of posters refer to Gaoteote as IE. Isn't his nickname EA?
    Thanks

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Jul 24, 2019
    If Austin Jackson is not ready Game 1 due to his surgery, who’s likely to start for him at LT? Can Drew Richmond or McKenzie fill the void?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Stephen Carr - does he return to Freshman year form or did the back injury limit him going forward?

DLine Surprises - The expected starters are well documented. Is there a surprise guy, a sleeper, you can call out that we'll look back to say we didn't really see his contribution coming?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  15. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Erik, does Clancy ever scout our offense and give advice on how he would stop them and does Clay or Graham Harrell ever tell Clancy how they would attack our defense?

During the season does Clancy offer help to the offense on how to attack our opponent, here’s where they’re vulnerable, this play should work well against them, etc and vice versa with clay/harrell?

16. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Erik
    Couple of quick questions
    1. Will JJ make it back for radio broadcasts.. if yes the season will be a success even if we lose every game . I sure hope the answer is yes
    2. How many season tickets have been sold this year

17. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 26, 2019
    Any sign of Solo? Running? Participating in PRP's and workouts? Cleared to play?

AZUSCfan and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  18. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Jul 26, 2019
    I heard that Kyle started wearing cleats last week!! Is Solo in cleats yet? He seemed close this spring, hoping for his speedy recovery!!

AZUSCfan and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  19. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry, just saw this post and realized I hadn't included it in the mailbag.

1) Still no idea as to when we'll find out about eligibility. Knowing the NCAA, I'd say later rather than sooner.
    2) I think we've seen a good start. Still a long ways to go because getting it going in the weight room is only step one. Need to see what happens with pads and how guys deal with injury.
    3) His nickname is pronounced EA, but spelled IE (the last two letters of his first name). Not an easy name to prounounce, as the G in his last name is actually pronounced as an N.