Submit mailbag questions in this thread

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Apr 3, 2018.

2. Trojanfreedom

Trojanfreedom New Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Do you have any thoughts on if and how our special teams will improve in the Fall?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Garry,

When is the last time you remember USC having over a two-year period recruited this much talent on the defensive side of the ball? This year's linebackers and corners (and Hufanga) added to last year's defensive line and safeties strikes me as a cut above what we've been seeing -- and USC always recruits well. This group looks equivalent to the type of talent that Nick Saban has been bringing in on that side of the ball. The defense this year should be very good. But 2019 ... if these guys are as good as we think they are, that could be another 2004 or 2008-level defense. What do you think?

4. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 3, 2018
    Do you expect two more receivers currently on the roster (not St Brown) to step up and make strides like Pittman and Vaughns did last year? Which couple players would be your choice?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  5. Stevie Blue

Stevie Blue Junior Member

Apr 3, 2018
    We struggled on the O-Line and the Corner/D-back positions last year. Have you witnessed any changes to our coaching approach or schemes during this Spring? or are we just relying on being a year more mature?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Hello Gary,
    With the emphasis on physical play and training are we seeing more physical drills done at practice? Like the circle drill or the Oklahoma drill? Calloway has said that physicality is a state of mind. Are the one on one battles lively or viscous?

7. norcal4socal

norcal4socal Points Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Does the defensive team appear to have a confident step in their stride, getting on and off the field? Do they "run to the ball" and aggressively wrap up? Are they a verbal group?
    Which ones have been physical? Who are the leaders?

8. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 3, 2018
    How many punters and kickers are out there? Is the Aussie Rules punter there yet, mate?

big_pete and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  9. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Apr 3, 2018
    As unsavory as a running QB is (not only to defend but to watch or even rely on) how would USC fare through the first three games with a stout D and running QB.

I still have flashbacks of the Vince Young two steps left, run right offense. It can be frustratingly effective.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. pgoodman

pgoodman Junior Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Unless something dramatically happens in our QB learning curve can you see us running the ball 30-40 times a game... And if so do we have the line that can get us there?

mk_87 and gubo&palanka like this.
  11. Troken

Troken Junior Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Will JT be able to participate in the PRP's this summer? Could he enroll in summer classes at USC to be eligible?

LDIABootney and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  12. Imlegitru

Imlegitru Junior Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Gary Chris Steele is supposedly committing in September.. what's your gut feeling about his commitment?

big_pete likes this.
  13. fighton55

fighton55 Junior Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Garry - Who do you see as the team leaders so far this spring and who are your guesses for team captains this season?

14. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Apr 4, 2018
    I haven't heard much about Wole this Spring. Has he been showing any signs of improvement, or has that ship sailed?

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  15. motovich

motovich Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 4, 2018
    As expected, Neilon and Dedich are both showing star potential at C as backups to Loa at C this year. Obviously we're in great shape at C in the future. However, it seems like a waste to have one or the other sitting as a potential reserve over the long-term. Has the coaching staff considered multi-tasking at least one of the young C's for a possible starting G position in the long-term future?

VM805, gubo&palanka and big_pete like this.
  16. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Good question IMO. Kick coverage was lousy and returns were worse last season. In stark contrast to Adoree being a threat every time he touched the ball.

17. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Garry, what do you think is going to happen with the safeties this fall? Looks like Tell, who was good most of the time last year, is secure at one spot, but there are several candidates for the spot replacing Hawkins.

There's Bolden, who appears to be one of the favorites; Pollard who is apparently good at making sure that everyone is lined up properly, Ykili "El Matador" Ross (sorry, it will be awhile before that image goes away) and Hufanga is said to be looking all-world. Can you please handicap the race as of right now, and what do you think the role of each is going to be once the season is underway. I'm assuming they're all going to play at least on special teams. Thanks.

big_pete likes this.
  18. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Apr 4, 2018
    On paper I would think they will be improved for two reasons:

1. There is a lot more quality depth on the team. That will allow the coaches to either put more quality reserves onto special teams, or to play more veterans on special teams because they are rotating more on offense/defense.

2. John Baxter doesn't have to worry about the tight end group anymore. He can focus solely on special teams and he even has an assistant.

19. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Apr 4, 2018
    I would say this recent run of corners is the best I've seen at one time at USC, and the pieces around them are very strong too. It's hard not to think of the Maualuga/Cushing/Rivers/Matthews era when seeing this incoming group added to what is already in place. Do you have to go back to the Pete days to see this kind of defensive talent? Probably. Hope it all comes together in similar fashion.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  20. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Apr 4, 2018
    I would hope to see it, I don't know if I'm expecting it.

Not too far back I had Joseph Lewis pegged as the next man up and it doesn't look like that is going to happen. As spring began I had Randal Grimes as a guy ready to take the next step and so far this spring Grimes hasn't done as much as I would have hoped. Josh Imatorbhebhe has shown some good flashes and probably has the most athletic ability so maybe he can become a consistent and healthy option. For the slot guys, Velus Jones has put together some good recent practices and he offers the downfield option so that would be nice to see him fill that role.

CrownoftheValley likes this.