Still no firm answers to questions about the 2020 season

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, May 12, 2020.

1. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 14, 2020
    Clay has nine lives, lol. No beat down by Tide & ND

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 14, 2020
    "While the Pac-12 conference might present a united front, the situation is reportedly very different behind the scenes. As Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott tries to work with athletic directors to make a plan for the upcoming season, those same athletic directors are reportedly going around him to make things happen.

“I’VE BEEN TOLD BY MULTIPLE SOURCES THAT THE AD’S HAVE HAD CONVERSATIONS BEHIND THE CONFERENCE’S BACK THAT WOULD TELL EACH OTHER, ‘LISTEN, IF WE’RE UNABLE TO PLAY VIA A MAYOR’S RULING, A STATE GOVERNOR’S RULING, YOU GUYS GO AHEAD AND LOOK OUT FOR YOURSELF.'”JOEL KLATT SAID, VIA THE HERD WITH COLIN COWHERD.

In recent weeks, the possibility of college football games being played in packed stadiums has come into doubt. California governor Gavin Newsom recently suggested it was unlikely fans could attend games until late in the year. Furthermore, Los Angeles extended its stay-at-home restrictions through July.

For schools like UCLA, USC and Stanford, safety protocols by state and local officials are now creating uncertainty for their ability to play college football in 2020. As a result, athletic directors are reportedly going behind Scott’s back and coming up with alternative solutions to help their conference allies.

“IN FACT, SOME OF THE ADS AND STATES THAT REALLY BELIEVE THAT THEY WILL HAVE FOOTBALL, HAVE OFFERED, SPECIFICALLY THE CALIFORNIA SCHOOLS AND SOME EVEN OFFERED THE OREGON SCHOOLS, THE CHANCE TO COME PLAY HOME GAMES IN THEIR STATE,” KLATT SAID, VIA FOX SPORTS."

Sweet! Let's play in Arizona.

3. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

May 14, 2020
    I'll play wherever I can get a meal. lol

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  4. K9Buck

K9Buck Points Member

May 14, 2020
    I don't disagree with you. The point I was trying to make is that life is full of risks. We all know that we can die in an auto accident but, we nevertheless take the relatively minor risk because we feel the reward is worth the risk. I believe that is analogous to re-opening society. Furthermore and, unless this virus mutates into something even more deadly, I believe that young men can and should be able to congregate in order to compete in sports.

5. K9Buck

K9Buck Points Member

May 14, 2020
    The NCAA serves at the pleasure of university presidents. They work for the schools and not the other way around. If governors and university presidents say it's safe to play, the NCAA has no real power to prevent that from happening, not that they would necessarily want to do so anyway.

6. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

May 15, 2020
    People are always welcome to engage in self-destructive behavior in a free society. All we can do is make sure we do all we can to limit the potential of innocent people to be affected by stupid behavior. Like riding your Harley without a helmet or making cigarettes illegal while promoting weed, seat belt laws, etc etc. The best thing we can do is to stop acting like pigs and be responsible for our own part. For the Coliseum that means keeping things clean for a change. Some of us never touch surfaces in public places in the first place, and some of us were taught to never cough or sneeze on others. COVID-19 brought all this front a center, and these are the takeaways.

AS FOR Denalli above, those aren't my stats. Those are complied by the CDC, which I agree are bogus. Simply take their reported number of cases and divide by the reported death count. I don't even track them daily anymore since Dr. Birx told us the numbers aren't trustworthy. And then there is all this anecdotal evidence of death certificates being pencil whipped.

7. denali15

denali15 Points Member

May 15, 2020
    I try not to base my thinking on bogus stats, but that's just me.

Why would anyone "take their reported number of cases and divide..." The "reported number of cases" are based on people sick enough to go to the hospital. Is that how you determine mortality for other things? Do you base the mortality of driving a car on how many accident victims make it to a hospital?

No one is affected by "stupid behavior" in this case. For the umpteenth time, the lockdown is not intended to save a single life. It is only intended to spread the same number of deaths over a longer period, so hospitals won't be overrun.

8. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

May 15, 2020
    That is not what CDC reports. Go to the following website which tabulates data from CDC and others worldwide to see how they count these numbers. Purportedly in the US, it is CDC reporting the number of cases of people who test positive for COVID-19 by any of the FDA approved methods. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/. They also purportedly report the number of these people who have died, either in the hospital or nursing homes. Problem is the coroners and hospitals were told to count deaths of those who did NOT test positive as well - that is why I call it all bogus. There's no way for any of us to know what is really going on in this matter of life and death.

So death rate is the opposite of survival rate. The percentage of people who get the disease are resolved into either those who recover or those who died. They are lying to us by including people who are not even in the first category. So CDC numbers are bogus and Dr. Birx even said so. I agree with you about the reason for flattening the curve and detailed that in another post.

9. denali15

denali15 Points Member

May 15, 2020
    The CDC has zero idea of the mortality rate. They have no idea how many folks are/were "positive."

That Stanford study of the Bay Area, an early hotbed because of travel to/from China, estimated 50-80 times more actual cases than "confirmed." That's because they did a stat sampling, like pollsters do, rather than a sample based on those with symptoms who managed to get tested (have you tried? It isn't easy). So...take the CDC's numbers and divide by 50 to get a better mortality rate.

Bottom line: this isn't that deadly, the curve is flattened, there may never be a vaccine, and the CV will have to run its course. The lockdown is killing more folks than it's "saving."

10. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

May 15, 2020
    Yes, or at least they are supposed to, and in this case they are not trying to prevent the universities from playing.

I still think that, as much as I dislike the NCAA, that they are in a role as kind of a central body for college sports. As such, they should step up and set a recommended date for schools to begin practices that gives them at least 6 weeks to prepare for the football season. If the NCAA doesn’t, I’m not sure who will, and I see a lot of confusion going forward among the schools.

Someone needs to take the lead in getting this season going, whatever form that may take. But I don’t think the NCAA will do this for liability reasons.

11. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

May 15, 2020
    Yup...i still owe a bit for my 2 kids' UC degrees....

Now helping plan for the next generations' future, and it wont necessarily mean theyll be going the 4 year route....focused schooling, trade schools, etc are now part of the equation...

Unless they want to be doctors, or some specialty type careers, of course....

12. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

May 15, 2020
    I personally know of 3 people from the same family that got positive tests, they all travelled to the same place overseas, and got back early in the lockdown....none required hospitalization, range in age from 8 to maybe 56....

I already played with the 8 year old last weekend...

Yeah, Unfortunately, were currently living under the worst case scenarios, when reality is a fraction of that....

13. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

May 15, 2020
    I see what you did there... ;-)

TrojanHoss likes this.
  14. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

May 15, 2020
    I may have a personal interest in such an arrangement.

15. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

May 15, 2020
    I doubt it will be that hard to put, in very fine print on a ticket, some disclaimer saying something along the lines of "bearer of ticket assumes the risks of close contact with others at the venue, including halitosis, profanity, malodorous excretions, sexual assault, regular assault, COVID-19 and hurt feelings."

In any case I hope this will get resolved soon. Anecdotally I know of two people (one a coworker of my BIL, the other a HS friend of my wife's cousin) who were confirmed COVID cases who died. Both were in their 30s and nominally healthy before this outbreak. My wife is a healthcare worker and has seen the number of folks with respiratory illness of many kinds shoot up. Not all of these people have been tested, but their protocol is to treat such folks as though they are COVID19 positive.

Also anecdotally, many people I know say "I think I may have had it earlier this year," relating that they thought they just had a very bad cold, or regular influenza, or bronchitis, but they did what most of us do in such a case - call in sick at work, dose heavily with Nyquil, Theraflu, or good old whiskey, and sleep it off until they felt better. No special precautions, no quarantine, etc. Their families were also exposed and while some of them also got sick, didn't seem worse than any other time mom or dad or one of the kids brings home a communicable disease.

16. DaFireMedic

May 15, 2020
    I’m not a lawyer, but I doubt USC’s lawyers would think this to be adequate in protecting them from liability in the event of Covid-19 infections when the governor and mayor are saying that we can’t have crowds in the stadium.

I’m with you on people taking responsibility for their own actions and decisions, but I don’t think USC will see it that way, at least not to the point where they will go against the governors wishes and allow crowds at the games.

17. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

May 16, 2020
    Did the NCAA back down from their announced position that there will be no fall sports unless "all" students are back attending in person classes?

18. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

May 16, 2020
    Tort reform would be nice right about now

19. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

May 16, 2020
    They do not. Their pay is cut. Yes, they still get paid, but substantially less and definitely have an incentive to work if they could.

20. DaFireMedic

May 16, 2020
    It isn’t the government worker, it’s more the low wage workers that are getting paid more not to work. Many of the government employees that I know have either taken pay cuts or are furloughed, and definitely make more money when they work. Of those that remain working, every one that I know very much wants the country to open up ASAP, as the risk to their jobs increases every day that businesses remain closed. This includes teachers.