Stanford dropping 11 varsity sports

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Stanford dropping 11 varsity sports
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 8, 2020
    https://news.stanford.edu/2020/07/08/athletics/?utm_source=athletics&utm_medium=tw&utm_campaign=an

"Stanford will discontinue 11 of our varsity sports programs at the conclusion of the 2020-21 academic year: men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling. All of these teams will have the opportunity to compete in their upcoming 2020-21 seasons, should the circumstances surrounding COVID-19 allow it, before they are discontinued at the varsity level. Regretfully, 20 of our support staff positions are being eliminated as part of this realignment."

Sounds like this was not covid related, but that certainly hasn't helped.

"Due to the escalating costs of operating such a large athletics department, a structural deficit emerged several years prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. That deficit was projected to exceed $12 million in FY21 and to grow steadily in the years ahead. The COVID-19 pandemic and associated recession have only exacerbated the gap; before these sport reductions, our revised forecasts indicated a best-case scenario of a $25 million deficit in FY21, factoring in the effects of COVID-19, and a cumulative shortfall of nearly $70 million over the next three years. These projected deficits could become much greater if the 2020-21 sports seasons are suspended or altered due to COVID-19."

gubo&palanka likes this.

2. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Jul 8, 2020
    An indication that the Olympics will be dead in the next 20 years?

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  3. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 8, 2020
    May revert back to earlier days.

The quest to be higher, faster, stronger, is timeless.

Maybe the junk sports are out.

4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Wow, recall Indians had sports endowment that enabled them to have all minor sports NC s. Again, without football $$$ how long can SC have $$ losing sports ?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Citius, Altius, Fortius....yes.

Tier 1
    Track & Field
    Swimming
    Maybe Gymnastics

Tier 2
    Volleyball
    Soccer
    Baseball/Softball

Tier 3
    Tennis
    Basketball
    Water Polo
    Wrestling

Tier 4
    Everything else

They could cut it to Tier 1 and I would be fine.

6. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 8, 2020
    Agreed. Give me track & field (and maybe just track) and swimming and I'd be okay. Do whatever you need to do with the rest. I'll watch whatever is on and root for our men and women in whatever sport shows up.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Stanford and the Director's Cup, which they've won something like 500 times in a row at this point. Stanford will still field more NCAA varsity teams than all but one Pac-12 school (Cal).

Moose4usc likes this.
  7. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I was thinking the same thing. Stanford has one it every years since it began in 1993, with the exception of the very first year that went to North Carolina.

8. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Yeah, I'm sure the Olympics are dependent on the budget of the Stanford athletic department. Countries all over the playing those sports even if college football fans are stuck in a mental bucket.

It might be an indication of the real world. I wonder if these sports would have been dropped due to the flu?

It also might be an indication that the IOC was overly optimistic in rescheduling Tokyo for summer 2021. I thought it should have been 2022.

9. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    This just broke:

Ohio State pausing voluntary workouts in men’s and women’s basketball, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball.

10. GLA4USC

GLA4USC Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Stanford U's remarkable wealth easily generates enough income to cover all these activities if there is a will to do so. I'll be interested to see if this isn't just a budget move, but rather part of a long-term plan to reduce the whole athletic culture on campus. Maybe not, but would it really be surprising?

11. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Stanford already claiming a recession?

12. Fan Base

Fan Base Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    They are feeling guilty about all those cheap NC’s that put them on the top count.

What are the billions for exactly?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jul 8, 2020
    A 12 million dollar budget deficit is peanuts -- less than .002% of their annual budget of 6.8 BILLION dollars. This isn't about the money.

This decision opens the door for 240 other students. It's about academics, and ultimately, about graduating students who will represent Stanford as they excel in whatever field they are going into. Will that be some squash player who majors in Journalism, or a fencer who "studies" Sociology? Nope. It'll be some uber-bright kid who goes on to greatness in technology or medicine. Sorry sync swimmers -- you're just taking up space that some more deserving kid will fill.

Not only that, but since the programs Stanford is cutting are all budgetary parasites, it allows them to spend much more on the programs that remain. This should make their football and hoops programs stronger, as they can keep more of the money they make and use it within their programs.

The real story is what this signals to everyone else out there in leadership within American higher education. There are 5300 college presidents out there tonight saying, "Thank you Stanford!". This gives them all the cover they need to slash athletic budgets: "Hey, if Furd can claim budgetary hardship, we certainly can do so with a completely straight face." Is anyone really going to complain if some small sport that nobody goes to see is cut at their University? And by cutting 11 programs, every other college president who cuts a few program will be able to say, "Hey, we only cut a fraction of what Stanford cut, and they've got a 28 billion dollar endowment."

Honestly, good for Stanford.

AMLTrojan likes this.
  14. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Don't buy it, if "It's about academics." If you want to eliminate the most kids who major in "fluff" and who don't do a great job of it ... you eliminate football and basketball. It's been my experience that kids who perform at a high level in squash, sailing, rowing, synchronized swimming, fencing, etc., are more likely to be high performers, academically. Why? Simple answer. These kids tend to come from wealthier families that have more resources. More of these kids attended private schools and had parents who were still married, and who valued education. Along the way, these kids also developed drive and discipline.

15. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Looking at the fencing team, the #1 major represented was "undeclared". Outstanding. 13 out of 29 are undeclared——close to half their roster.

30 students on the rowing team, 13 of them undeclared. And one Communications major, which is basically undeclared—similar career trajectory.

I haven't had ANY experience with squash players or synchronized swimmers, so I speak from clear and perfect ignorance. But I hung out with my share of weed smoking, class ditching undeclared dudes back in the day. They were anything but "high performers" (as you call them), unless by "high" you mean . . .

16. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 10, 2020
    ^^^This is never the right response.

To borrow from Obama's preacher:

"Not god bless stanford!

God damn stanford!!!"

17. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jul 10, 2020
    We might as well ditch rowing, given the loss of our two top Kaboom recruits.

18. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Wait. Since when is "undeclared" a bad thing? Are these kids Freshmen or Sophs? I would expect about half the roster to be underclass students, and probably undeclared. Or, maybe I don't understand how Stanford does things. I guess you might never declare and wander through six years of school, but I have a hard time believing that's the case for these Stanford kids. "... weed smoking, class ditching undeclared dudes" don't typically get admitted to Stanford, nor do they tend to excel at sports. I think you're talking about a completely different set of kids.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020