Sports Illustrated on Graham Harrell

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Pudly76, Aug 1, 2019.

1. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    I agree completely. You have to capitalize first names. Goober and Wonderlic 11. Now that is showing them the respect they deserve AS FOOTBALL COACHES.

2. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    yikes, none of you would say it to his face tho

3. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Have you ever heard the expression " You can put lip stick on a pig, it's still a pig ". USC is my favorite football team and has been for over 40 years. Rooting for Helton isn't going to make him a better coach. He is horrible. I will always root for USC to win. I still want Helton fired. I don't believe he can coach and we will never win a NC with him.

4. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Say what to his face. If I had the opportunity I would ask him please quit as the coach of USC. If I was a billionaire I would make him an offer to leave. What makes you think people can't speak their mind truthfully to someone?

5. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2019
    “We see top programs across the country have down years and the fans want to change coaches,” Swann said, before referencing Notre Dame’s 4-8 season in 2016. “In fact, it happened a few years ago with yesterday’s opponent, but that administration remained committed to their head coach, who made some key changes, worked hard to fix things and got his team to improve markedly. That will happen here at USC".
    A quote from the Orange County Register. Swann was hearing pressure from the fans to fire Helton. The banner was flown. His response was continuity in HC's as he had in Pittsburgh but there would be changes made in the staff. I don't have all the broadcast and news articles but this was a topic of discussion at the time. You can deny it but Helton was told to make changes to his staff. He was being made fun of by fans who were upset at is inability or unwillingness to hire coaches. They said he had an empty rolodex.

6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 3, 2019
    You won’t hear an argument from me against any of this. And I know that you always root for USC to win. I was only responding to your statement about not understanding why we haven’t “moved on” from Helton.

I wanted him replaced after last season but that didn’t happen, and rooting against him will not make him a better coach either. If Helton succeeds, the team succeeds, so I root for him to prove the naysayers wrong and win. If he doesn’t, he’ll be fired, and rightly so.

I’m not ignoring the problems with Helton over the last few years, all of which have been and will continue to be discussed. But he is still our coach, and I think Helton has done some things right since getting his second chance. I realize that this does not make him a great coach, but I see some good things happening on this team.

I honestly think that this team is going to be much better than most think. We’re loaded with talent, I believe we have very good assistant coaches now, and I think the key is the simplified systems focused more on execution and doing them right than on having many dozens of plays that you never truly get good at.

And regarding JT Daniels, I remember when he committed to USC, several here were saying that he was the best QB commit that we’ve had since Carson Palmer. I think he has a good shot at living up to that hype this season.

We have one of the toughest schedules in the nation this season, with the toughest of it being in the first six games. If the team is mediocre, we’ll know early on, and I’ll again be joining in the calls for Helton to be replaced.

Pudly76 likes this.
  7. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Like I said. I root for USC to win every game and I will again this year. I just don't have faith in Helton. If for example there was a Toa situation with one of our WR'S this year. If one kept dropping passes. Would he bench a Pittman,Vaughn's, or ARB. Now that we have officials at practices, will he bench a star player who keeps taking penalties? Will he have physical practices now that we have a better S&C program? How will he manage the games? These are all the kind of things I hear from him but don't see from him. Disapline, accountability,physicality, and championships. I just don't believe he will ever be that kind of coach. So yes I will root for the team but I still want I new and better HC.

biglouie likes this.
  8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I have no problem with this at all. I share all of the concerns that you mentioned, and a few others. I’m just choosing to take a more optimistic outlook toward something we have no control over right now. And like I said, if it doesn’t turn out the way I’m hoping, I’ll be calling for his firing. But I’m still hoping that won’t be necessary.