Some Summer Tid-bits

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by trackdude, Jun 22, 2019.

2. uscernie

uscernie Junior Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I sure loved the Track and Filed battles between USC and UCLA in the 1970's!!! You could have taken both teams and challenged the world!!!! I remember sitting at Drake Stadium cheering for USC in every event. The reason I love Track is because it is similar to a three ring circus. The sprints are going on, the pole vault is happening in front of you, the triple jump is on the way...OMG what fun!!! Sorry for aging myself.....but I loved those days!!!

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 16, 2019
    You aren't aging yourself at all. Track and Field is awesome. There is nothing quite like a track meet, much of what you described. And within all that activity, you might get treated to a crazy sprint or relay. The Track community is like no other. If you're a track fan, you get "it".

4. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jul 17, 2019
    And this is why most college ADs support of T&F is so lackluster. (IMO) They don't get it and a lot of track coaches in order to see things get done usually revert to, "look, I'll just do this myself." (again, IMO)

5. Hb4sc

Hb4sc Junior Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Unfortunately the golden age of track and field has probably come and gone. Scholarship cut backs and lack of coverage by the local media has a lot to do with it. When Otis Chandler published the LA Times track was covered in detail. Otis, himself, was a former shot putter at Stanford and a pretty good one at that. There are also probably fewer really good track coaches today as a by product of all this.

6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 19, 2019
    You think? Lol.

https://twitter.com/TravisMillerFlo/status/1151595615408799745

7. Hb4sc

Hb4sc Junior Member

Jul 20, 2019
    If in fact that participation has increased at the high school level it doesn't appear to have produced as many elite marks as there were.
    At least not in recent years. I attend the Masters Track Meet each year. Both the attendance and marks have not been at the level I witnessed 10-15 years ago.