So what, now what? And other questions facing the Trojans

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 9, 2019.

2. shc4usc

shc4usc Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Ouch! Too many negative ifs and few positives. What happens is up to how USC football is viewed by others. We know how the board views the current situation but we don’t know how it is viewed by those who have to commit to USC as either future players or assistant coaches. Not sure how long I can hold my breath.

TrojanFireHorse12 and jjg4sc like this.
  3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Dec 9, 2019
    I don't see those as negative "ifs." Just some of the questions that need answers. If Helton makes the right calls with assistant coaches (whatever those answers are) the team plays well against Iowa, finishes with some positive momentum in the recruiting class, brings back all the important pieces of this team who are eligible to return, and makes the right call at quarterback, it's the recipe for a really successful 2020 season.

4. shc4usc

shc4usc Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019

the negative ifs are if helton doesn't accomplish those goals

5. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Dec 9, 2019
    Agreed

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. Cardinalblood

Cardinalblood Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    If he doesn't start tackling in practice and practicing at game speed making practices harder then games then it won't matter what coaches we get. That is the change I am looking for. I am also hoping he takes ALL practices allowed for the bowl game or we will get run over at the Holiday Bowl just like we did against Wisconsin at the last one.

7. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    yes, agree there are many questions facing USC.
    First on the list is retaining Graham Harrell. He was the primary reason
    USC went 8-4 instead of 5-7. USC has to beat the Texas offer as Texas is the home
    of Harrell and no state income taxes.
    Baxter has truly seen better days.
    On the fence with Pendergast. If USC can find a good lb tackling coach would do it.
    The other assistant coaches appear ok.
    The football culture still has to be improved by a large amount

Troy70, gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I just did a quick review of Iowa and while it can be noted that their losses were close, you could also say they only beat two teams with a winning record (Minnesota at 10-2 and Illinois at 6-5). Their offense has been quite anemic behind a QB who is basically a game manager. Their defense has been stout mostly against the run, but they haven’t faced any real passing offenses. Their defense seems to have the most trouble with speed and containment especially in the passing game. I think their turnover ratio is a little skewed by their opposition as they had their share of turnovers and penalties in their losses.

9. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I think this is a good matchup for us.

I disagree. Winning the bowl game will be important to show momentum heading into the final NSD in early Feb. Hopefully we have better news on the coordinator fronts by then also.

10. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Erik, this probably should be a mailbox question but do you foresee any of our Seniors opting out of the Holiday Bowl rather than risk injury.
    Pittman was great this year but I have not seen his name come up in any 1st round Draft projections.
    I think he should take advantage of at least one more game and any Senior Bowl opportunity. It might help to showcase the talent that many NFL experts have not acknowledged.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I agree with you, not JimmytheGreek. It might not be that important if SC wins, but it will be very important in a bad way if we lose.

GoSC1 and gubo&palanka like this.
  12. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Pittman has earned the right to what's best for his career, no questions asked. It would sure be great to see him play in a Trojan uniform one last time.

13. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 9, 2019
    Agree and I can't believe we are hoping that an experienced coach -- really, a man who grew up around football, if he is to be believed -- will make such BASIC changes.

14. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Pittman will always be one of my favorite Trojans. He SHOWS what it means to be a Trojan, to FIGHT ON. He fought on through a lot of adversity - even a coach not playing him, and he stuck with it and is simply a gamechanger. He has that 'you aren't going to beat us' mentality that will be very difficult to replace next year. Sure, we have some good WRs to replace him, but do they have THAT kind of attitude?
    And he sounds like a terrific young man outside of football as well. Proud to say the he is a Trojan. I'm a big fan. Selfishly, I want to see him play one more time, but with the way this game is going with all the injuries, I would understand if he sits it out. I'm not a betting man, but I would be very surprised if he sat it out.

15. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    He didn't last year.... if he let's go of Pendergast and brings in a tough DC and gives him free reign like he did with Harrell, there might be a chance. If he keeps Pendergast, it means he hasnt changed...... doubt he will.

16. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    We will see with how many practices Helton holds whether he is serious about the bowl game and next year. If he skips practices again, it will be same-o, same-o

17. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 9, 2019
    Erik: are you hearing anything about Chris Claiborne as a coach on Clay Helton's staff?

"And if any of those linemen make that decision, it could really hurt, as the Trojans don’t appear to have the depth on hand to immediately replace them."

This amazes me. The sanctions are long gone. There are no more scholarship limits for us. What the hell have Helton and Drevno and Pendergast been doing?

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  18. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    So Helton brought in Alabama's So what, now what rallying cry. Too bad that was the only thing he learned from Saban's program.

gubo&palanka and Troy70 like this.
  19. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Dec 9, 2019
    No word about Claiborne at this point.

I say there doesn't appear to be depth because I don't think anybody is capable of stepping in right now. But there's still an entire offseason, so we'll see if guys can step up if needed. Just a couple smaller classes along both lines in 2018 and 2019, so there aren't the bodies there that you'd like to see.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.