So Sorry But It Didn't Happen

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by conquest4ever81, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    You don’t see differences in recruiting depending on timing of firings?

2. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    Yep, that’s right

3. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Oct 14, 2019
    I have maintained it is highly unlikely he will be fired with a 10 or 9 win season. I have also maintained that he should be fired unless a minimum of 8 wins is achieved.

4. conquest4ever81

Oct 14, 2019
    Incompetent loser? Hmmm. First USC HC since Pete Carroll to win Rose Bowl title and conference championship.

5. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    In your view, how many years of poor job performance did Sam Darnold’s RB heroics buy Helton?

The downward trend is/has been obvious to most. Apparently not you.

For the sake of salvaging a disastrous recruiting class, and for changing the program’s culture heading into 2020...

Helton must be let go during the season if at all possible. Even prior to the permanent AD being in place to hire the next guy, hit the reset button ASAP.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Fyton82 likes this.
  6. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    For those of you who remember, what was the atmosphere like in 1991?

Recall that that season was Larry Smith's second-to-final season, and he went a dismal 3-8. That was directly on the heels of a 4-year span as coach in which USC had been good, but not great.

Larry Smith wasn't fired after 1991's 3-8 record, but finally did get fired in 1992 after losing to Fresno State in the Freedom Bowl, which capped a disappointing 6-5-1 season mark in which the Trojans were swept (again) by their archrivals. Smith put the nails in his own coffin when, at the post-game presser for the Freedom Bowl, he testily replied to one of the reporters something along the lines of "You don't just win anymore because of the logo on your helmet!"

That might be true, but it's not what USC fans wanted to hear.

Smith's tenure as coach seems somewhat similar to Heltons: He started off strong on the strength and talent of players who were recruited by his predecessor, but his methods and personality alienated some players (had the transfer portal been a thing back then, Marinovich might've gone elsewhere, instead of just bolting for the League) and his recruiting style left the cupboard bare. Lots of L.A. kids who had gone to USC (and UCLA) 10 or 15 years before were bow winding up at places like Washington and Colorado and Arizona.

All this is to say that I think Helton will finish either 7-5 or 6-6. President Folt is watching, and I'm certain that many alumni have expressed their intense displeasure at the direction of the program. Having come from UNC, with its own very rich and storied basketball program, and thus knowing just how important athletic success is to a university's zeitgeist (and donation totals) I think she definitely knows a change is necessary.

That said, I seriously doubt that Helton gets the axe before the season is finished. I do think that, short of actual legal wrongdoing or moral failings that warrant a mid-season firing, a coach should be allowed to finish out a season. It just seems like the professional and proper way to part ways with a coach.

SCBIGTIME and SouthbayTrojan91 like this.
  7. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    This is why I'm calling for an immediate firing of Clay Helton.

Problem: 2 weeks ago I woke up on game day believing that USC was going to lose to Washington. For USC to win they would have to play near perfect and Washington would have to come in flat.

Reason: Clay Helton has a poor record on the road and against top teams.

Result: Loss

Last weekend

Problem: Against ND I woke up with the same feeling they would have to play near perfect and ND would have to come in flat to win.

Resaon: Clay Helton has a poor record on the road against top teams.

Result: Loss

Do you see what I'm getting at? Same unresolved problem, same result. So tell me how beating a bunch of Pac 12 South stiffs to make it through the back door into a Rose Bowl game is satisfactory to you? Or how a .500 record and out of the playoff picture by week 6 should be celebrated.

The program needs a new direction. 4 years is way more than enough time to build a program and yet he's still building?

Does this years recruiting class look like Clay Helton is putting together a well oiled machine?

Take off the Clay Helton Rosey glass and you will see the issue for what it is.

The fans and recruits have spoken.

Fire the guy, Cut the fat, lose the dead weight, Kick him to the curb, Sack the hack, Give him the pink slip, show him to the door, tarmac him. Whatever you want to call it.

Just do it already.

8. USCsWay

USCsWay Active Member

Oct 14, 2019
    honestly, OP is spot on.

I'm sick of those, even though it is a small number, that continue to hate and disparage those of us who strongly support in and believe in Clay Helton. My suggestion to these 5 or 6 posters is to take a deep breath, relax, and just simply accept the fact that many USC fans support Clay and he is here to stay for the long term. These few trouble makers (who jump up and down calling anyone a troll who opposes their opinion) are the exact same people who last year declared that they will no longer be able to follow the USC football program. The following day, they were back (they have nothing else to do so of course they would be back). As the great JT Daniels said, those who send hate towards Clay Helton, our coach, just simply "don't understand football."

9. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    You’re a loser.

GLYCERINE likes this.
  10. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 14, 2019
    When the OP’s loyalty to Helton goes off the deep end to the point he shares the same thinking as the resident Bruin. Congrats OP you have outplayed yourself.

BESCFAN, qqqqqqqman and GLYCERINE like this.
  11. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    I just wanted to see this again, nice

12. trojan9999

trojan9999 Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    Helton is gone after the season. The fans demand it, his performance dictates it, and a new AD will want his own guy. Being the HC at a tier one program can be a rough gig.

BESCFAN likes this.
  13. conquest4ever81

Oct 14, 2019
    Recruits remember scenes such as this at the Rose Bowl just a few years ago. images (51).jpeg

14. norcalsurfer

Oct 14, 2019
    so why did a lot of recruits go elsewhere in the past two recruiting seasons?

qqqqqqqman likes this.
  15. Cardinalblood

Cardinalblood Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    You are completely dilusional.

16. Fyton82

Fyton82 Points Member

Oct 14, 2019
    Given the fact the recruiting is in the crapper and local talent is sprinting away from The Situational Master, I'm thinking they remember scenes like these more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

upload_2019-10-14_18-54-21.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. conquest4ever81

Oct 15, 2019
    images (49).jpeg

18. conquest4ever81

Oct 15, 2019
    download (65).jpeg
    And how did that 2016 season end?

19. norcalsurfer

Oct 15, 2019
    And how did the 2017 and 2018 seasons end?

20. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Guy is a total clown. He went for years crying about Jim Harbaugh running up the score against us.

norcalsurfer likes this.