So let’s give Dough the benefit of the doubt

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by August West, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    My prediction is anything under 10 wins and a Rose Bowl, Helton's fired. His buyout will be less next year and, with it, his job security.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    USCAlumFightOn likes this.
  2. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I cannot imagine Clay being fired if he again went 8-4 with one rivalry win. I judge the minimum standards are pretty low nowadays. A couple blow out losses and 0-2 vs ND/Ucla might be enough.

3. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 9, 2019
    the Pete Carroll years changed that. This fan base wants to Compete for national titles

4. AZUSCfan

AZUSCfan Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    He is an idiot who can't get out of his own way.
    He is a babbling liar who says anything to anyone who is dumb enough to buy it.
    He is incompetent.
    He has not proven the ability to hire/build a good coaching staff.
    He has proven that the best player doesn't always play.
    He needs to be fired if he loses again in Holiday Bowl. (we all know he won't be)
    He needs to be fired if he is blown out again by Alabama. (we all know he won't be)
    He needs to be fired if he again loses to ND. (we all know he won't be)
    He needs to be fired if he doesn't win the PAC12 South. (we all know he won't be)
    He needs to be fired if he doesn't win the PAC12. (we all know he won't be)
    He needs to be fired if he isn't in the CFP discussion at the end of next season. (we all know he won't be)

So does he get the benefit of the doubt? He has for 4+ years.

What he needs to do is resign, and gives us the benefit of the doubt that we might need a better coach.

5. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    The fan base can want whatever it wants to want...but it's silly to have a NC as a "goal." That requires luck and other things outside your control. The goal is always the Rose Bowl; anything more is gravy.

6. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I assume the OP is kidding us. Of course he's retained at 9-3, not matter how many penalties, 10-men-on-the-field-on-FGs or other blunders.

7. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 9, 2019
    I disagree Denali.

I don’t disagree that it takes some luck but tell Alabama and Ohio state who have been in the college football playoff almost every year. The goal should be to always compete for the highest prize. That’s not to say if we don’t win a NC the season was bad

8. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    That would be a HELL NO, but Folt and Bohn would probably offer him another extension.

9. flyfishintrojan

Dec 9, 2019
    But if National titles are a goal you gotta spend REAL money. You can probably go to the Rose Bowl and beat UCLA on the cheap, the Pac12 is a cheapskate conference, but you won’t get to the playoffs pinching pennies. Top O and D coaches are getting upwards of $2 million, recruiting budgets are at $3 million across the elite ranks.

LDIABootney likes this.
  10. FightOn1992

FightOn1992 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I think the bigger question is HOW LIKELY 9-3 is next year?

We don't have the calendar for all the games (just non-conference are scheduled) but here is my take:
    1. Alabama here in Dallas - LOSS - honestly I think the score sadly will be similar to last time 52-6 Bama in 2016 ... I will go 49-14 Bama
    2. New Mexico - WIN
    3. Notre Dame - LOSS - while I want this one badly and we are at home, here are a couple sets of numbers that cause me to lose optimism: 7-3 aka Brian Kelly's record v USC, 1-4 Clay Helton's record vs ND. They will out physical us unless Clay does a 180 in his approach - which I think is about as likely as me playing for the Lakers (not many 5'9" 50 year olds on that roster by the way;')

PAC-12 Schedule (dates not known so no sense of a Bye, Thurs night game, who plays week before etc):
    4. @Utah - LOSS yes they lose talent but reality is we have lost 3 straight In Utah and I don't see a coach who has a poor road record winning this
    5. @Oregon - LOSS while I can't stand this team, they clearly are on an upswing and recruiting (they are ranked #6 Nationally in 2019) is likely to make this a loss in Autzen.
    6. @ Stanford - LOSS - Stanford is 4-1 in their last 5 at home vs us. Weirdly it was the Count Drunkula victory in 2014 14-10. Still Stanford had a down year but they have talent and are physical. My expectation is they will have a bounce back year. Again our road problems extend to Palo Alto.
    7. @ Arizona - WIN - they are simply a mess and we will win this one
    8. Arizona St - TOSS-UP - ASU has some talent and does put together a decent effort about half the time. They have already won in the Coliseum two times this decade and the last 9 games are 5-4 SC.
    9. Colorado - WIN - I think they are getting better but it is a LONG road up for them.
    10. Washington - TOSS-UP - A lot of people are thinking Jimmy Lake will be great and maybe he will but until I see how he does as a HC I will leave this as a big unknown.
    11. Cal - WIN - This is a debatable one but I still think SC wins this.
    12. @Ucla - TOSS-UP - look I think Chip Kelly is a joke (and did from the moment he was hired at ucla) bot one reality is that he has sliced the heck out of our defense twice. Also, this could be a game where the loser gets fired (and possibly the winner too).

Hence I don't see ANY chance at 9-3. I have 5 Losses, 3 Toss-ups, and 4 wins going into next year. It may be hard to even get back to 8-4 with this coach.

qqqqqqqman likes this.
  11. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I think 9-3 is very achievable. Of course, it was very achievable this year as well. 10-2 was very achievable and based on talent levels, where we should have finished.

LDIABootney likes this.
  12. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    He’ll no!, he won’t go.

13. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    10 win coaches don't get fired unless there's some scandal like child molestation involved or some other major crime.
    images (55).jpeg
    Stay calm. Be strong. We got this. Fight On!

Redskins Rick likes this.
  14. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Except that Bohn said he expects improvement next year.

15. flyfishintrojan

Dec 9, 2019
    He has said a lot of stuff and as far as I can tell, nothing you can count on.

16. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I think the creation of the BCS Championship and now the College Football playoff changed all that.

Before that if you beat UCLA beat Notre Dame and won the Rose Bowl in a year most years were at worst top 10, many were top 5 , and a fair number ended with USC as National Champions in those years.

I think right making the CFP or having a genuine chance to do so something that has never happened not even in two best years under Clay Helton is the goal now. I miss the days of looking forward to seeing USC in the Rose Bowl, regardless of whether the old MNC was at stake or not. I love that game because that game introduced to the USC Trojans I love. I love it so much that I watch every year no matter who's playing. It's that special.

But I want USC to genuinely compete to be the National Champions too so I have adjusted my expectations to meet that goal - or at least of having a realistic chance to reach the CFP. Certainly beating UCLA and the domers are as essential to reaching that goal as anything else. And if we do win 10 11 or even 12 games and come up short I'll always have Pasadena and love every minute of it and the high National Ranking a win will guarantee. Not the National Championship but the very next best thing.

17. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

Dec 10, 2019
    Just To piggyback on my last post since 1938 USC has had 12 seasons in which they beat UCLA, beat Notre Dame and won the Rose Bowl. Eight of these were pre - BCS, and the lowest USC finished ranked Nationally was 7th in 1938 . Two other years - 1976 and 1979 USC finished #2 , and in 5 of those seasons - 1962, 1967,1972,1974, and 1978 The Trojans won or shared the National Championship.

In the BCS era USC achieved those three hallowed victories in four seasons . Three of those years - 2007 and 2008 the Trojans ended the year ranked 3rd and 2003 USC shared the National Championship

So when we achieve the three goals of beating UCLA beating Notre Dame and winning the Rose Bowl the reward for USC and all its fans has always been very significant.

It should also be noted that in 2004 when blew away Oklahoma in BCS Championship game at the Orange Bowl in 2004
    we certainly would have the Rose Bowl adding to this list of glorious achievements.

18. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I wanted Helton fired as much as anyone. Disagree or not with Bohn, I think there's no doubt he wants the football program to work, as it's in his vested interest.

19. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

Dec 10, 2019
    That's a funny way of him showing that Estherar - but no who really cares is laughing I'm afraid.