So let’s give Dough the benefit of the doubt

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by August West, Dec 8, 2019.

2. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    If we lag in defense, special teams, penalties, and turnover margin yet again, no.

Esthersar likes this.
  3. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Knowing Bohn and Folt, absolutely they would keep him.

SCBIGTIME and Gjimmy like this.
  4. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Keep him??? If he goes 9-3, Folt and Bohn will give him a raise and an extension through 2030.

OC2SC, Gjimmy, cshen10 and 1 other person like this.
  5. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    For as long as I can remember, our goals are to beat ND and UCLA and win the conference. The school has never set national titles as a goal.

For two years now we missed winning the conference and are 1-3 vs our historical rivals and yet Helton is still the coach, so I could not tell you what the minimum performance standard is today.

Gjimmy and cshen10 like this.
  6. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Mediocrity for the next 2-3 years is in the forecast with this clueless coach and incompetent administration. 8-4 is considered a success with this lame AD given his pathetic record. The bar has now been set significantly lower with this clown show.

OC2SC likes this.
  7. 13Perspective

13Perspective Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    OK. Well of course he stays. And you know what? At 5-7 he stays as well. I’m not sure about 3-9, but I think he stays through 2023 contract, unless - as was pointed out - Bohn decides to extend the contract - regardless of record.
    When others mentioned the large disparity in recruiting staff and assistant coach pay (would be great if someone could pull the facts together) that was the final indication to me that there is very little interest from USC in competing at the top of the sport.

Sad because the legacy was built by people that did care. Not the case now, although I will assume current staff will try their best.

8. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 8, 2019
    That is true...and that’s our downfall.... winning the worst Power 5 conference doesn’t get you voted National Champion anymore.....now you have to win it on the field. And until SC changes their goals and approach, they’ll continue to wallow.

The goal now is the Playoffs.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    I want him gone unless he wins the NC. But the admin keeps him if 8-4 or better. Will Meyer still be available?

10. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Dough does not emulate the type of leadership that players say “Yeah that’s the place to be”, regardless of the coaching. Even Lane and Sark gave off the veneer that we were an “it” program, even as they failed in coaching the talent.

The biggest issue now, even more so than the on field results is the talent bleed. This is something we have not had to encounter in almost 20 years. Our next coach will have rebuild as opposed to redirect.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Merlin4SC, OC2SC, SCBIGTIME and 3 others like this.
  11. funnycide

funnycide Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    We are the new Miami. Will be stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

Amazing how the U has been irrelevant since the Ken Dorsey, Willis Mcgahee years. Now they cycle between 9-4 and 8-5 years, and once in while they are lucky to win 10 games... but even if they do, theyre still never really a threat for the playoffs.

It could be worse though. We could be Tennessee, who just plain sucks now.

OC2SC, SCBIGTIME, TrojanDrive and 2 others like this.
  12. tjfan001

tjfan001 Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    How about Nebraska?

13. trjoosh

trjoosh Points Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Nebraska at least made an attempt to get back to relevance with a couple of coaching hires. We don't even care to change. We will keep Helton til 2023 and probably beyond. From those in power within the athletic dept, rather keep the bumbling idiot coach that is mediocre, but controllable, than someone who does good and lose power.

14. jerald grossman

jerald grossman Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    No you don't, but Helton is not going to be 9-3

15. KBfan24

KBfan24 Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Would I?? HELL NO.
    Will Folt/Bohn? Yes.

OC2SC likes this.
  16. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I think this is spot on. IIRC, Miami has indifferent attendance, just like SC. The big boys in CFB can count on reliable income from their fans, rain or shine and can schedule/travel strategically( cupcakes) without losing money. Money is the key, to pretend otherwise is just silly.

The bar has been set at the elite programs in CFB financially, and you either follow or get out of the way. USC has chosen to unilaterally disarm and I suspect Miami has also.

17. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Being out of the national picture by October is a frustrating norm with Helton. He then spends the rest of the season trying to salvage an average season.

It's not acceptable to those of us who don't accept mediocrity. However, with Folt marginalizing football I believe Folt and Bohn keep Helton if goes 9-3. It's sad.

USC has been reduced to playing for Pac 12 south titles. Forget about being in the national mix. That is history.

Merlin4SC likes this.
  18. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    download - 2019-12-04T064730.992.jpeg

Redskins Rick likes this.
  19. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Nebbie is geographically fucked. When the rules for private jets was changed, and kids now have to fly into Omaha and make that drive....you knew NU was finished.
    That said, they made the best hire possible in Frost, but their talent level will continue to lag behind the elite programs. They are on the level of Illinois and Purdue.

20. Prism

Prism Active Member

Dec 9, 2019
    I think we need 11 wins to justify keeping him after a historically bad year and a mediocre year. The team will still have some good talent but if we underperform again a poor recruiting cycle could set us back for years. A lot of wins is necessary to get some positive buzz. That being said the admin appears 2 be 2 chickenshit to make a ballsy move and dump a 9 or 10 win coach who has time on his contract. I hope bohn spends all year looking under every rock for a replacement.