Snyder, Williams officially announced by USC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Snyder, Williams officially announced by USC
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 12, 2020
    (USC press release)

LOS ANGELES--Sean Snyder, whose special teams at Kansas State annually ranked among the nation’s best, has been named USC’s special teams coordinator, while Donte Williams, who has a dozen years of experience coaching defensive backs—including the past 2 years at Oregon—and is regarded as one of the nation’s top recruiters, has been named USC’s cornerbacks coach and defensive pass game coordinator, Trojan head coach Clay Helton announced today (Feb. 12).

Snyder, 50, is the son of legendary retired Kansas State head football coach Bill Snyder, who in 1966 also served on the USC coaching staff.

The younger Snyder spent the past 26 years (1994-2019) at Kansas State, his alma mater. From 2011 to 2018, he was the Wildcats’ special teams coordinator and associate head coach, then he was senior special teams analyst in 2019. He was named the national Special Teams Coordinator of the Year in 2015 by FootballScoop and Phil Steele and in 2017 by Phil Steele.

During his tenure, Kansas State ranked in the Top 15 of the ESPN Special Teams Efficiency rating 5 times, including first in 2017, second in 2015 and third in 2012. The Wildcats also were in the Top 25 of the Football Outsiders Special Teams Rating 6 times since 2011, including first in 2017, third in 2014 and 2019 and sixth in 2012.

Under Snyder, Kansas State’s special teams units set or tied 8 team records and 20 individual marks. He coached 4 Big 12 Special Teams Players of the Year, including 3 consecutive (returners Tyler Lockett in 2013 and 2014, Morgan Burns in 2015 and Joshua Youngblood in 2019). Lockett, who now plays for the Seattle Seahawks, was an All-American first team kickoff returner in 2011 and punt returner in 2014. Burns earned All-American first team honors in 2015 as a kick returner when he led the country in kickoff return touchdowns (4). Youngblood was a Freshman All-American first teamer in 2019 when he ran back 3 kickoffs for TDs and helped Kansas State top the nation in kickoff return average (29.5). Placekicker Matthew McCrane was a Freshman All-American first teamer in 2014 and All-Big 12 first team pick in 2017, while kicker Jack Cantele made the All-Big 12 first team in 2015. Kick returner Byron Pringle was All-Big 12 first team in 2016 and returner D.J. Reed was so honored in 2017.

Snyder began at Kansas State as a part-time assistant coach in 1994 and 1995, then served as director of football operations from 1996 to 1998, assistant athletic director for football operations in 1999 and 2000, associate athletic director in 2001 and senior associate athletic director from 2002 to 2010.

He was a consensus All-American and All-Big Eight first team punter under his father at Kansas State as a senior in 1992, averaging 44.7 yards per punt. He was the Big Eight Defensive Newcomer of the Year as a 1991 junior, with a 40.5 punting average. His 43.0 career punting average was a school record. He played in the 1992 Blue-Gray Game. He was inducted into Kansas State’s inaugural Ring of Honor Class in 2002 and into its Athletics Hall of Fame in 2016.

Snyder redshirted at Iowa in 1988, then saw action in 2 games for the Hawkeyes as a redshirt freshman in 1989 before transferring to Kansas State.

He earned his bachelor’s degree from Kansas State in money and banking in 1994.

He signed as a free agent with the Phoenix Cardinals in 1993 and the San Diego Chargers in 1994.

He starred as a punter and placekicker at Greenville (Tex.) High, where he also played baseball.

Snyder was born on Sept. 21, 1969. He and his wife Wanda raised a daughter Katherine and sons Tate and Matthew.

Williams spent the past 2 seasons (2018-19) as Oregon’s cornerbacks coach. The Ducks were second in the nation in interceptions in 2019 (with 20) and 11th in 2018 (17). Oregon played in the 2018 Redbox Bowl and then won the 2019 Pac-12 championship and played in the Rose Bowl. He was named the nation’s seventh best recruiter (No. 1 in the Pac-12) for the class of 2020 by 247Sports.

In 2017, he coached Nebraska’s cornerbacks, nickelbacks and dimebacks as well as helping with the Cornhuskers’ pass defense coordination.

Williams, 37, was the cornerbacks coach at Arizona in 2016.

Prior to that, he spent 3 seasons (2013-15) at San Jose State, coaching the cornerbacks the first season and serving as the secondary coach and recruiting coordinator the final 2 seasons. In 2014, the Spartans’ pass defense (117.8) and passing touchdowns allowed (6) were tops in the nation, improving 85 and 102 spots, respectively, in the national rankings from the previous year. Then in 2015, as SJSU played in the Cure Bowl, the Spartans were second nationally in pass defense (157.8) and 29thin passing TDs allowed (16). He also was named a Top 10 national recruiter by Sports Illustrated in 2015 after being selected as the Mountain West’s best recruiter in 2014 by 247Sports.

He was a graduate assistant at Washington in 2011 and 2012, working with the cornerbacks and linebackers. The Huskies played in the 2011 Alamo Bowl and 2012 Las Vegas Bowl. In the summer of 2012, he was a summer coaching intern with the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks.

He spent 2010 as a quality control coach at Nevada, helping with the linebackers. The Wolfpack played in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl that season.

He began his coaching career as a cornerbacks coach at the junior college level, first at Los Angeles Harbor College in 2007, then El Camino College in 2008 and Mt. San Antonio College in 2009.

He played football at Culver City (Calif.) High.

He then played defensive back at Pasadena (Calif.) City College in 2002, Syracuse in 2003 and Idaho State in 2004 and 2005. He was an All-Big Sky first teamer and team captain both seasons at Idaho State.

He received his bachelor’s degree from Idaho State in 2006.

He then played 2 seasons in the Arena Football League 2, for the Rio Grande Valley Dorados (2007) and Arkansas Twisters (2008).

He was born on Sept. 1, 1982. His cousins are former USC defensive backs Kris Richard (1998-2001), who played with the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks (2002-04) and San Francisco 49ers (2005) and then coached with USC, the Seahawks and Dallas Cowboys, and Darnell Lacy (1996-98).

2. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Definitely an important bonus that the ST coach is a kicker himself.

Of course it all sounds good on paper and remains to be seen how effective they are at SC, but I think it's
    borderline miraculous that SC got coaches of this caliber.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  3. KiwiSCfan

KiwiSCfan Points Member

Feb 12, 2020
    No wonder it takes them a week to announce a new hire - that release is a mini-thesis lol

VM805 and Ojaitrojan like this.
  4. oajr01

oajr01 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Job well d9ne. Would never have expected this caliber of hires given the circumstances.

Welcome coaches and fight on!

Troy4 me and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. Trojans_Oilers

Trojans_Oilers Points Member

Feb 13, 2020
    good hires. I'm curious to see if these were all Bohn's contacts or if they used a hiring service to find these candidates.
    Definitely not the type of guys Helton would know/hire.

Hopefully Clay will know his role as a figurehead and let his assistants do their thing.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    And we know that how? These remarks, not just by you, are getting real tiresome, to be honest. Since you, and others, have made that claim without justification or proof, I can make this - all those coaches had to have talked with Helton prior to accepting the job. I would find it very difficult to believe that they would willingly leave great postions to join what many of us view as a sinking ship, just to do so. THAT defies logic of any kind.
    Don't whitewash my remarks with a 'oh you're just a Helton supporter' retort. I have gone on record as to wanting him removed.

7. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 13, 2020
    For someone that wants Helton removed you sure seem to defend him every chance you get. Your constant defense of this incompetent buffoon with your disclaimers about wanting him removed are getting real tiresome.

8. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Oh, look who crawled out from under his rock! Sorry if my fairness and unwillingness to slander another human being offends you.

zitorocks likes this.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    I read the comment differently. I didn't take it as these new hires didn't talk to Clay, obviously they did. I took it to mean, these aren't the caliber coaches that would be in Clay's rolodex. If they had been, why did he settle on what he did for so long, why have so few of the more well-known coaches seemingly been out of play for us, and why has he historically been hesitant to replace coaches? From the outside, it certainly looks like he's had a strong nudge to make changes and that these people came in to view via some resource not named Helton.

Consider the hires specifically (which so far, I like), Snyder has never coached outside Manhattan. He was with Kansas for 8 years and just one season after his dad left, he's out too? Perhaps those inside were not as thrilled with him as his dad was. As for Williams, there was mention of him wanting to move back home due to an ailing family member. Perhaps USC was the default choice for reasons other than Helton's persuasive skills.

Alfa1, zitorocks and CrownoftheValley like this.
  10. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Powers-that-be were not willing to spend money to get these types, from what I've read.

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    I don't buy that. The money was there for Urban. Would have been there for people like Aranda. Would a coach like Aranda work for Helton? I don't see it.

Alfa1 and CrownoftheValley like this.
  12. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Good points! It's all conjecture, including my remarks, which is the point I was trying to make. The only folks who know are those involved. We all read things through the lens that we view it through. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  13. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    I agree. I don’t know if Helton’s “persuasive skills” had much to do with hiring the new assistants. I tend to think it’s more to do with some combination of USC still being a blue blood football program, the assistants believing that they have the skills to make a difference here, and the money was good. I’m sure Helton made his pitch to them to them as well, but having the USC football name behind him made a huge difference.

Regarding Helton’s “Rolodex”, I don’t know who came up with the list of candidates for the open positions, and neither does anyone else here. We don’t even know if the names came from anyone’s previous network of contacts. It could just be that Helton, Bohn and perhaps others met and came up with a list of candidates to look at.

But I think it pretty clear that Helton had to be “nudged” to make changes, and that concerns me as to why he is still the HC.

14. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Feb 13, 2020
    There's a difference between "money was there" and "not willing to spend it on high-salaried assistants" (at least at that time), but you may be right. I'm hardly an insider.

15. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Just wish we would made these hires months ago. We could have had Flowe and Green-Warren. Still you gotta give props to Bohn. His hands might have been tied with regard to Helton, but he made sure we wouldn't have a repeat of signing day 2020. With all the changes on the defensive staff, I wonder if Flowe has entertained the thought of transferring to SC.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  16. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Yeah, that in itself just doesn’t sound like a path to ‘coaching cohesion.’ What head coach has his AD hiring his staff for him? Something just is adding up as far as the sniff test goes. (BTW, I don’t oppose these hires, they look pretty good but how does a HC work with people he didn’t hire??? As typical FB stuff goes)

bell likes this.
  17. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    I agree with the point, but we shouldn’t go down this rabbit hole yet as we don’t yet know who did the hiring, nor how the candidates were selected. It’s all speculation at this point.

If the plan is to keep Helton, I think it likely that Bohn told Helton to make changes, and that Helton either submitted names to Bohn or they came up with the names together. If Bohn has even a small degree of intelligence, and I think he does, he would have the HC playing a significant role in the decision making process as to who to hire for assistants, for the reasons that you mentioned.

A candidate’s list does not need to come from one’s “Rolodex” or network of close contacts. If that were the case, nearly all HC’s and AD’s would be limiting themselves as to who they could contact. More likely Bohn and Helton identified potential candidates, made a list, inquired of their interest, and went from there.

bell likes this.
  18. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Feb 15, 2020
    And for Williams and So'oto, their SoCal background was essential in getting them to sign. Otherwise, I don't think we get them.

19. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    This year, yes, the $$ were/are there, but not before under Haden/Swann/Lopes. It has been well documented the budgets have been steadily reduced every year under the above mentioned 3 amigos, deliberately!! Not defending CCH, just the facts .

zitorocks likes this.