Silent Commits

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by Christian, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Silent Commits
    Christian

Christian Active Member

Dec 4, 2020
    Saw someone mention on another thread the possibility of SC having silent commits. Got me thinking about the idea of a silent commit and eventually asking the question of why would someone ever be a silent commit. If you’re going to commit somewhere, why not just make it a verbal commitment? What’s the benefit of not publicly announcing it?

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Dec 4, 2020
    Sometimes it's because you're committing to an out of state school and you don't want to deal with the added pressure locally. Sometimes it's because you want to make a big show of it at the end of the process in a televised announcement. And sometimes it's because kids can't help themselves and they wind up making two or three (or four or five) silent commitments.

Ultimately, a silent commit is just as firm as a public commit and plenty of them get broken every year.

3. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 4, 2020
    Yep...silent commits are not worth the paper they are not printed on

4. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Dec 4, 2020
    Helton was a silent commit to Folt

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  5. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2020
    Based on an interview I heard this afternoon, it would not surprise me if we have 2-3 silent commits for the 2021 class.
    I understand the angles behind it and whatnot, and it is something that I probably would tell my children to do also to keep themselves from the public scrutiny.