Sign of alum support disappearing

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Dec 25, 2018.

1. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2018
    So right. We cannot ever pull up stakes and carry someone else's flag. We lived, ate and breathed cardinal and gold for 4-6 years depending, some of us longer. Some of us have even worked for the University. Some of us have even worked for the football program. Some on here are even fellow TFAC members. Walking away would never be an option for guys like us.

But after this year, I no longer condemn Marcus Allen for refusing to come to our events when the program is shitty and fails to represent our heritage. I used to hate his unwillingness to attend our events when we were struggling and pushing the ball uphill to get back on track. Now I feel the same damn way, watching Hellton squander all our resources with his ill informed and unintelligent decisions and methods. Criticism is nothing new to people like me - those of us who understood the program and the game and knew Hellton was a pretender. But not agreeing with posters doesn't change the reality that, collectively we squandered what we had and acted irresponsibly.

We had very high standards and always strove for excellence in everything we did [on or off the field], and to see us lower our standards is anathema to our existence. As for those high standards, I really hope they come back some day.

Hockey10, Alfa1, gubo&palanka and 4 others like this.
  2. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Dec 26, 2018
    lot of interesting comments on this thread .. as a third generation USC graduate whose grandfather played football and rugby over 100 years ago I would like to support the poster who is not an alumni ..one can have a loyalty to an institution whether you have been part of it for a certain amount of time or not .. many donors to USC are not alumni .. their money still spends the same
    I agree with those who feel the University has betrayed its original mission statement .
    The current head of the BOT and the puppet interim president are a disgrace
    Odds are the next president will be very similar to the interim one
    As for a new football coach .. knowing who will make that choice I shutter whom that person might be
    Thanks to all if have added in my view intelligent and civil thought

3. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Dec 26, 2018
    As I've said, with the right hire next year our football program will immediately get back on track. I'll add that the right football hire will also pay huge dividends beyond the sport to our world class university as a whole.

User1234, gubo&palanka and uscjrl98 like this.
  4. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Dec 26, 2018
    I guess I'm just a Trojan For Life... which includes both the good and bad years.

5. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2018
    ^this

At this time, it is hard to be proud of USC. Setting sports aside, USC has done just about everything it can do to harm itself. When was the last time USC was in the news, for something positive? Lately, it is one scandal after the next. Max Nikias and the BoT failed and continue to fail the Trojan Family. I imagine more and more will set aside the Cardinal and Gold, until major corrective changes occur.

6. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2018
    I agree. I chose USC because of the football program and how much pride I felt when I decided to go there. Never mind that I did not play football while I was there but the overall school pride and spirit that comes from a winning team is intoxicating. There is just something about a successful football team that brings the campus together.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2018
    That’s all good and fine vball, but don’t tell me not to do something (not to put my love above others) that you aren’t doing yourself.
    Im not going to get into a who is a bigger fan or who should be more ticked off argument here. So please have a Happy New Year.

8. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Dec 26, 2018
    This is amazing, 98, bc we came to USC from completely different perspectives (I literally didn't know what a Heisman Trophy was, among many other things CFB-related) yet we see eye to eye on what our football program means to everything about Troy. Very cool.

Whether they admit it or not, it's the same for hoops at Duke and football at Notre Dame and Michigan. Even if one doesn't follow sports at all at any of these schools, it MATTERS.

User1234, Alfa1, DaFireMedic and 2 others like this.
  9. trojan07

trojan07 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2018
    You really didn't bring in $250,000 in tuition... those spots would have gotten filled regardless of you guidance, just by different people...

ConquerorSC likes this.
  10. KBfan24

KBfan24 Junior Member

Dec 26, 2018
    It's one thing to have a struggling team. It's another to have a struggling team with the athletic department and school giving no sh*ts about it. It's clear Lynn Swann isn't interested in improving the program after keeping Helton. Either that or he's delusional.

11. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Going to mention this over and over, one can follow the team while not giving a single cent to both USC and the athletic department. Go to road games or watch the games at the 901 or the Tilted Kilt. When Swann or the next AD sees the LA Coliseum at 25k capacity, they will regret their decisions.

12. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Today was a good day with Liverpool winning 4-0 and Man City deciding to drop.

The impact of a coaching change - Manchester United looks completely different.

uscjrl98 and CCTrojans like this.
  13. OxyTrojan

OxyTrojan Junior Member

Dec 27, 2018
    We’re a long way away but moving toward Stanford and Harvard. Are they no longer part of the fabric of the Boston or Bay Area community. A better school brings more talented people to the SoCal community, many of whom will stay and create jobs and support culture. I like that.

14. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Just returned from Scottsdale last night and have been reading this thread. Considering the decisions made by our BoT why on earth would we presume the president hire will be successful? I believed (with no evidence) that the SC Pimp was given a life seat on the BoT in exchange of Mork stepping down. Based on Caruso’s recent comments I’m concerned he’s worse than Mork.
    SC has taken a redical turn for the worst and the ONLY opportunity to affect any change is to stop the flow of cash. That includes merchandise. I don’t see another option to correcting the mess that currently infects our university.

15. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Veebs, I absolutely agree with your entire post.

What a lot of posters forget is that those 400 students are members of the Trojan Family, as well. They are our sisters, and the University allowed them to be harmed. This is absolutely unforgivable.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  16. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Not sure where to begin as many good points have been made. I’m very concerned with the University leadership and how they’re handling these current issues. I’m incensed over the thought that a doctor was allowed to malpractice for decades on our students. My feelings are one of betrayal and I don’t know if those will ever go away.

As for FB I’m frustrated to no end. I lean toward being a Marv Goux devotee (“as FB goes, so goes the University of Southern California”), but the landscape has changed on us (you’re welcome SEC) to the point where the system is tilted against us (fuck you very much NCAA).

As for the changes happening to USC, change happens. This is difficult to track as it’s often subtle with no apparent malice intended. If however we see something being forgotten, then I think it’s up to the old guard here to stand up and make it known that we not forget (I’m being vague on purpose so as not to leave out anything).

Lastly, I’d like to poke at one thing specifically that does baffle me (somewhat OT). Having been a part of the Alumni Club experience via Alumni House I am perplexed that turnover of leadership there seems to be encouraged. Of all the places on campus where one might expect (or assume) that longevity and tenure to be the norm, Alumni House seems to do the opposite. I’m sure there are reasons for this, but as keepers of the traditions I find it odd A.H. wouldn’t have the most seasoned and tenured staff.

Fight on!

User1234 and uscjrl98 like this.
  17. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 27, 2018
    I agree with you. But I can't understand why he didn't pull the trigger after 5-7. What -- or whom -- is he waiting for?

The current arrangement doesn't make any sense to me.

Helton as HC, KK as OC. It's like some art major teaching painting to Matisse

18. swabie2424

swabie2424 Junior Member

Dec 27, 2018
    The SC flag still flies at my house. The signed SC helmets are still on display in my office.

But the nice check my wife and I write every year will not be arriving on campus. Instead they got a letter expressing my feelings about what has transpired over this past year.

SC has been calling my house constantly asking about my donation... they get the machine.

19. gubo&palanka

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 27, 2018

uscjrl98 likes this.
  20. gubo&palanka

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 27, 2018
    Unfortunately, I answered. I did my best to hold off with all the arguments, but the kid was so nice and so articulate. Much smarter, much more well-spoken than I was at that age. I ended up giving.

uscjrl98 likes this.