Should Playoffs Be Expanded to Eight Teams?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by JayBird23, Dec 2, 2019.

1. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 2, 2019
    why not 6 teams?

Power 5 champs + 1 Non-Power champ/Independent

the chances of more than 1 Non-Power 5 champ/Independent qualifying for the playoffs are very low. PAC12 and ACC champs get the lower seeds. SEC and Big Ten champs are 1 and 2 respectively.

1 and 2 seed get first round bye

3 and 4 seed play 6th and 5th seed respectively

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Whatever gets Alabama in gets my vote

3. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    5 Power 5 champions
    1 The Highest ranked Group of 5 team
    2 At Large Teams

4. cshen10

cshen10 Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Talking about SEC, anyone knows that LSU has schedule home and home with Oklahoma and Clemson?

5. Gjimmy

Gjimmy Junior Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Thats true cuz upsets never happen in college football.

6. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Sorry about the multiple posts earlier - just joined and the system acted like it wasn't letting me post yet. My bad.

I think eight would be enough really - Look at 2008

Champions - USC Pac 10 Florida SEC Penn State Big 10 Oklahoma Big 12 (No ACC Champion as they won less than 10 games)
    At-large bids - Alabama SEC Ohio State Big 10 Texas Big 12 Utah MWC or Boise State WAC

The sole controversy would be which of two lesser conference champions to take as the eighth team in. And whether you choose Utah or Boise State that is an absolutely Phenomenal tournament field. And it shows an eight-team field would well and truly produce the best team in college football without any lingering doubt that the best team was left out.

or 2006

Champions - USC Pac 10 Florida SEC Ohio State Big 10 Oklahoma Big 12 Wake Forest ACC
    At-Large Bids - Michigan Big 10 LSU SEC Louisville Big East

Fewer at-large teams would lead to more controversy about the bottom two teams as lot of 10 and 11 win teams and an undefeated Boise State were out there. But again an excellent and deep field and a field that would produce a worthy Champion.

Or in the modern Playoff Era 2016

Champions - Washington Pac 12 Alabama SEC Ohio State Big 10 Oklahoma Big 12 Clemson ACC
    At-large bids USC Pac 12 Penn State Big 10 Michigan Big 10

USC was the hottest team in the country at the season's end but this could easily have had three Big 10 at-large teams with Wisconsin ahead of USC but with that kind of hot team at season's end this would have been
    like the NCAA Basketball Tournament possibly.

Six might be easier get approved by the NCAA but eight is the way to go I think.

7. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Yea. You can’t guarantee the best team in the nation is in the top 4....but they will be in the top 8.

Every level of FB starting with flag FB has an extensive playoff system. Except D1.

8. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Not ever?

ludicrous

9. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    I think 8 would be great, but as SocalN8tiv posted earlier, the FCS (as well as DII and DIII) have very good playoff systems in place that have worked for a long time.

My beef with the FBS "playoff" is that it is still largely a beauty contest (for heifers- how often does Bama get in?) A postseason playoff tournament is only legitimate if every team, at the beginning of the season, has an equal chance of getting in as every other team.

This is obviously not the case, as the playoff bracket is determined not by wins and losses, or winning your conference, but rather, whether you're a big-name blue-blood that will bring in big money. A two-loss Alabama team is infinitely more likely to earn a playoff spot if there were 8 slots than an undefeated UCF, Boise State, or Memphis team.

I like playoffs (and generally, the larger, the better --- within reason, of course) because there is no hiding behind a weak schedule to pad your record. We all remember those 11-0 teams of yesteryear where they really only played 2, maybe 3 tough games all year, and feasted on a weak conference and a weak OOC schedule, and wind up ranked in the Top 3 and playing for a MNC. With a playoff, you have to beat 3 (or more) increasingly stronger opponents, all in a row, to be crowned champion. It is a far more legitimate method of determining a champ than the farce we have in place now.

VELOSH82 likes this.
  10. VELOSH82

VELOSH82 Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Given you have 5 Power Conferences, Independents, and should a San Diego St, Memphis, Cincinnatti make serious noise, I'm for Expanding to 8, because theres no way around it.

Especially, with the E$PN Shoving 2 $ec teams Narrative down our Throats on a yearly basis.

Or, Keep 4 and have a Wild Card or Play-In game for the teams who are on the bubble.

In this case, should UTAH Win the PAC 12 and OU Win the BIG 12, have a game between those 2 to decide which gets in.

This would also mean, every Conference plays 8 Conference games, and 1 less Non Con game.

11. VELOSH82

VELOSH82 Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Sounds good, with the Exception of PAC 12 and ACC getting the Lower seeds.

Are you basing your seeding Only on this season?

And tell me why CLEMSON doesnt deserve a 3, 2 or even a 1 seed given they were Defending National Champs, and are Winning by 30+ a game?

One can argue, only this season matters, but I'll also argue, that seeding depends on how Elite a Program is and I can assure you, CLEMSON would Spank Georgia., and probably beat LSU, OU, or Baylor. Clemson would have OU or Baylor beaten by early 3rd qtr, no later.

I dont Buy E$PN nor do I drink their Cool Aid.

I like your Playoff format, but seedings should also depend how Great teams are playing not just what Conference they come from.

12. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Yes, you'll always have someone who feels left out, but 8 allows the champs of all the Power 5 teams to play. When the Pac 12 is left out, it hurts recruiting and gives an advantage to the SEC, Big 10. This would also give the Group of 5 schools better access. Then you play it out on the field.

13. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    As others have said 6 would be the way to go. It allows the top two teams to be rewarded for a good season with a bye week. I would not go further than the top 6 though because when you get to the #8 team.

14. TrojanCampaign

Dec 3, 2019
    No one is ever going to vote for that. The best teams should go to the playoff not the winners of conferences that aren't equal. We don't need 7-6 teams going to the playoff.

15. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Tell that to 2008 USC. You're dense sometimes.

Peete2Affholter and VELOSH82 like this.
  16. TrojanCampaign

Dec 3, 2019
    Utah played an FCS team. And so did Oregon. Actually I'm pretty sure Oregon plays an FCS team EVERY YEAR.

And many SEC teams play rivals in the ACC every year. For example UL-UK, GT-UGA, USC(e)-Clemson, etc. And what new FBS teams have there been that SEC teams have been playing? Liberty is the only (new) FBS team. Memphis is a top 25 team, Georgia State/Southern aren't new, and nor is UAB.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  17. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    8 teams would be great.

18. TrojanCampaign

Dec 3, 2019
    We should create a system that is meant to reward the PAC-12 for sucking? Is it the SEC's fault that we don't vote out programs like Washington State and Oregon State? Or that we don't expand and bring in programs like BYU and Boise State who actually want to compete at a national level but are held back by the system?

Fair is only fair to the people that being (fair) rewards. You might think auto-bids are fair but how is that fair to conferences who have multiple programs who heavily invest in their football programs?

19. FightOn1992

FightOn1992 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    My opinion is 8 teams not 6 its best for following reasons:
    1. It is blatantly obvious that all 5 power 5 conference Champs should get a shot - so few major interconference matchups happen that is it really fair to say at least 1 of the 5 is not worthy every year (even if the Pac12 is absolutely awful this year)
    2. 3 at large bids address most major issues - a strong conference whose runner-up would win other conferences, an Independent (aka ND), and you can even place a non-power 5 undefeated team in the mix when necessary
    3. I don't like the idea of Byes (that a 6 team has) because look at this year - who gets the Bye between LSU, OSU and Clemson? The bye is a HUGE break and one of them would have to play a dangerous opponent to get to them. This is not equitable in too many years - hence why the BCS championship game structure fell apart - there were NUMEROUS years where a 3rd team had a real beef - 2003 (SC), 2004 (Auburn - yes I still think SC pounds them), 2007 (geez like 4 teams had 2 losses), 2008 (SC and Texas) etc.
    4. It could still give a benefit to the top 4 seeds and NOT affect the current structure - play the Quarterfinals at the home of the higher seeded team - and have the games right before the start of the bowl season (aka Dec 14 or Dec 21 this year) There are concerns that another round of playoffs would affect fan bases from traveling. Well tell me these teams would not sell out their stadiums with these matchups (based on AP Top 25):
    a. Baylor(8) at LSU(1)
    b.Florida(7) at OSU(2)
    c. Oklahoma(6) at Clemson(3)
    d. Utah(5) and Georgia(4)

8 teams makes the most sense to me - does not affect the existing structure too much, solves the cost of travel issue, and there is a time slot within the calendar to playing it. Last, for the most part no one is getting an unfair advantage due to popular opinion (eg a Bye when there are 3 undefeated major conference champions)

Fight On!

VELOSH82 likes this.
  20. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    In a word, YES