Should Helton play Max for the HB?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by djgcue, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Should Helton play Max for the HB?
    djgcue

djgcue Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I know its far fetched and don't want to disrespect Kessler, but since Alabama is the first game on the 2016 schedule, should Max be played in the 2nd half or perhaps given the start at QB?

I know it's only one game, but its a bowl game, and Max could use the experience to get ready for next year (assuming he wins the starting QB job).

2. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I would hope they get him a few snaps maybe give him a few series to see how he does and if he gets hot then play him accordingly.

3. OxyTrojan

OxyTrojan Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    That's similar to asking should the coach lose his team's respect?

4. exDTguy

exDTguy Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Maybe a little OT -- With the caveat that my aging mind is often guilty of adjusting facts, I recall during the 1972 championship season John McKay started senior QB Mike Rae in every game, but sophomore QB Pat Haden got extensive game-time experience (and not just in mop-up situations). I was kind of hoping the same would occur this year with Kessler and Browne. Maybe next year with Browne and Darnold?

5. Thelowedown

Thelowedown Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I'm 100% certain Helton is thinking about winning this game more than he's thinking about playing Alabama next year.
    Max will play only if Kessler gets injured or Trojans are winning in a blowout.

6. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    It would be a disrespect to give Max reps when this is going to be Kessler's last game.
    Now against Idaho State and Arkansas State, Max should have played the entire 4th quarter; maybe even the entire 2nd half.
    This isn't his game but there have been several times when Max should have got in and we didn't.
    You send your seniors (and Su'a) off with a nice farwell by letting them all of the reps they can get in this game.

7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Only if it is a blow out (either way) or God forbid Cody gets hurt. Sitting your starting senior QB playing in his last collegiate game would be sending a bad message to the players. If you are gonna sit Cody might as well sit every senior and junior who is pribably leaving as well (Sua). Had SC won on Saturday wud you have posted this? I sense an inner desire to punish Cody in that post.

8. pilafiction

pilafiction Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Would have liked to have seen more of Max this year. Can't really start him but you sure could play him. Max has been very loyal and patient...

9. LateToTheParty

LateToTheParty Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Who?

Just kidding, of course. Max should have seen much more time this season than he did--just for experience. I hope he gets some snaps in the bowl game, but I kind of doubt he will.

10. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Think we should get backups meaningful minutes throughout the year

11. trojnfn

trojnfn Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Leinart's first collage pass was a td against Auburn at Auburn. Máx should be Fine.

12. Rex N Effex

Rex N Effex Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Yes we should play Max as many plays as possible. I would start Cody and after the first series or 2 play Max and maybe let Cody take the final snap. It's insane to play true Freshman at DB, LB, DL, OL and not try to get the guy that is actually going to touch the ball the most next year some meaningful snaps this year. If we were in the Rosebowl it might be different, but Max Browne absolutely needs some game time reps before he has to face Bama's defense.

Coach Harvey Hyde said he needed reps on the Sunday Morning show.

13. Dinky Dunstan

Dinky Dunstan Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Regarding giving him the start, this suggestion is only slightly more ridiculous than moving Su'a up to D-Line.

Unless Kessler is injured, Browne should play if the game is secured but not until.

14. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    no, this bowl game is Kessler's. In the unlikely event that we get a blow out, Helton should allow Max to run the entire offense instead of sitting on the ball.

15. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    My take: Kessler's *last game* was the Stanford game. He's gotten to start for 3 YEARS.....he's not owed anything. Of course, he starts this game. But, personally, I would give Max Browne the whole 2ndQ. Then, probably give Kessler the rest of the game unless it's a blowout one way or the other...in which case Browne plays some more.

Kessler has done his part. Let him start and play the most, but a look to the future with Browne getting some serious reps is more important than Kessler at this point. If it's THAT important to Kessler to go out a winner, he should've led the team to a win last Saturday.

Browne deserves some time for all his work in practice this year, too. He's probably the only guy who hasn't played.

16. huntingtonharvey

huntingtonharvey Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    How about we get back to the place when USC practices were tougher than any USC game. That should give Max plenty of live action instead of disrespecting a three year starting QB.

17. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I wouldn't mind at all seeing Max get the 2nd quarter, especially if the offense is struggling in the first quarter. Kessler could start the 3rd and see what happens from there.

18. TXTrojan21

TXTrojan21 Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    There is a moral dilemma at-play for Helton and us as fans. This also is about near-sightedness vs taking a look ahead and preparing us for the coming season.

On one hand, you can understand Helton's loyalty to Kessler and to allow him to finish out his last game as a Trojan. However, I hope I'm not being too caddy...but I don't feel he deserves that opportunity. You earn that opportunity by how you carry yourself on the field and by your body of work during the course of a season. In both regards, myself and others on this board haven't been impressed. Whether it was the bickering going on during the Colorado game or Cody having YET taken the reigns of a big-game in a big-time situation and willing his team to victory. Stats don't tell the real story here, as his numbers last year were exceptional...but in big-time games in difficult situations...he didn't rise to the occasion. He also stuck it through all the turmoil we've had...which in my opinion, played a large-part in his mental make-up and inconsistencies. He deserves credit for that and playing time.

I just think we need to see what we have in Browne and we need to save face with him. While he has said all the right things and has been a good Trojan...let us not forget that he graduates this semester and will be able to transfer without taking a year-off. I'm sure the thought has crossed his mine.

Additionally, here are two other questions that should come into play: What does a bowl-win vs Wisconsin in the Holiday Bowl really do for this team and program heading into next season? Obviously, you play-to-win but as a fan-base or potential recruit looking at the program...Are you more impressed by a bowl-win by a field goal or one touchdown with Kessler? Or, a close-loss with a first-game QB and heir-apparent? In my opinion, it's the latter. Browne has the potential to be great, but we need to see his fortitude and mental make-up in big-time situations and we ought to do this before a nationally-televised spectacle that will be USC vs Alabama at Jerry-World. Alabama and Nick Saban aren't the coach or team for a first-time QB to go up-against.

In my opinion, it would be a difficult decision to make, but Browne should get the nod for the bowl game as it would be the best thing for the long-term health of the program. Furthermore, I'd respect Cody even more as a Trojan for willingly passing the reigns to Max.

Do I foresee #4 behind center on December 30th? No...but he should be.

19. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    A lot of folks didn't get their meds this AM I see.

If our spring and pre season fall practices can't get Max ready to handle Bama, playing in a Bowl game 8 months earlier won't either.

I can make a better argument for letting EVERY senior start and get a lot of PT in recognition of being there day in and day out even as a 3rd stringer.

20. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015

But, then, that wasn't the purpose of the thread. Take your meds and reread the title ;-)

As you reread, note that almost everybody said to start Kessler. It's just some of us think Browne needs/deserves some PT, too.

21. huntingtonharvey

huntingtonharvey Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Let's not forget this game is the last exposition for the draft-eligible players. You really want to screw over those players esp. given all they've been through the past three to five years?

22. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Why don't we go up by 21-24 points by halftime and then let Max come in after Cody starts the 3rd qtr with another TD drive?

23. TurnerTrojan

TurnerTrojan Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    For those asking for Browne to start or get meaningful minutes, I have an honest question. Assuming Browne is the QB next year, does playing in this year's Holiday Bowl really help next year? I'm sure there's a former QB on these boards that could answer the question with more insight, but what does playing the 4th quarter or even the second half of one game really prepare you for in the future? I can understand if he was the guy all month long and all practices were catered to him being the guy and he started the game, but how much does just being in the game to hand off the ball or throw a few 3rd down passes actually help, especially since next year will have a different OC, a different style of play, etc.?

I don't know many head coaches that would ditch Kessler at this point, sacrifice the last game for the seniors (this isn't just about Kessler), to give Browne on-field experience. I think the marginal payoffs it would create for the future (assuming it's Browne) aren't worth it. If Kessler is just awful in the game, then that's one thing, but you don't take away the starting role and team leader for the sake of playing time for your future QB. My two cents.

24. guboamppalanka

guboamppalanka Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    "If it's THAT important to Kessler to go out a winner, he should've led the team to a win last Saturday."

Qman, I couldn't agree more with this statement. With the RB on the line, no sense of urgency.

Same with Wilcox and he couldn't have been fired faster.

25. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Unless he's hurt, I'm not sure you want to throw the senior QB under the bus in his final game.

Recruits notice these things.

26. guboamppalanka

guboamppalanka Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Loyalty to Kessler could mean a 6 loss season if he doesn't bring his A game and decide to let it all hang out.

27. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that all of USC's losses this year can be credited to the entire team, including the coaches.

Could Kessler have played better in some games? Sure, but that could be said of many of his teammates in their losses as well.

If we sit down every player who's ever let the team down at some point this year, it would just be walk-ons playing in the bowl.

28. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I say yes for a quarter at least.

29. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Another creepy Opost and creepy replies.

I won't be kind here. USC football is first and foremost for the kids who play and practice. It isn't for a bunch of fat, old, out of shape alums and fans to beat their chests and brag at the water cooler. Every senior should get a shot to play a quarter, even the walk-ons. Anyone who thinks different is a fucking asshole, case closed. Cody Kessler should go out on his own terms, however the hell he wants to go out. Whether you old farts and young candy asses who never put on a uni like it or not. I absolutely don't give one frick if we beat Wisconsin or not, I want every single senior to get in and have to something to share with his grand kids 50 years from now, and not what a bunch of internet milque toasts want. We aren't playing for a title, the bowl game is a reward for the kids who go out and practice everyday and who will never suit up again. Go to pre bowl dinners, flirt with hostesses and go out and play football for the last time in their lives. Who gives a shiq if we end up 22 or 14 on the final post season standings, it counts for nothing. ZERO.

What a clown circus, old alums from Wisconsin yelling at old alums from LA. The 4th string left guard isn't going to care if they win or lose, just let him play a quarter. Let him have a memory that won't ever fade. No one will remember if we lost to the Badgers even 10 years from now.