Season Ticket Renewal Time

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Donscfan, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Season Ticket Renewal Time
    Donscfan

Donscfan Member

Mar 24, 2021
    I might be one of the few (given that most probably cancelled after 2018 or others just rolled over their 2020 money to 2021), but was curious as to what people who still had a decision to make in regards to Season Ticket renewals. I was definitely not going to renew after 2019 for various justifiable reasons and well, because of the pandemic, the decision was basically pushed to this year. I guess I've softened my stance a bit and hedging.

On the plus side, I see an athletic department who is trying to upgrade the infrastructure around the football team and I think the current Athletic Department is trending towards the right direction. I have had my seats for nearly 20 years and made friends with the people in front of me. I love going to campus before games and walking around and enjoying the festivities. I love USC and will always root for USC. I actually think the AD and his staff are doing a pretty good job through the pandemic, the transparency of the covid tests, and the support staff hiring. Maybe I'm reading /drinking too much kool aid, but when i see all Saturday games on the schedule, it's nice to see that maybe the administration is trying to have a say in scheduling and other matters.

On the negative side, well, I think there is one obvious glaring leadership issue that I think really needs to be addressed before this team can meet its potential (that along with offensive line recruiting). Watching USC football can be fun, but it's also frustrating to see all the talent at the skill positions without the ability to consistently execute or be disciplined. Instead of being an outlet, watching SC football can be an exercise of frustration. I also have 3 kids currently all under the age of 3 which makes going to games difficult. I brought my then one year old to the ucla game in 2019 and it was a bit of a fiasco. When I think about my football viewing future, I think maybe i will come to campus with my family and then go home and watch the game on the big screen, but I guess it's hard to let my tickets go, but then again, I'm probably 55/45 - not renewing.

Well, I might be one of the few but I guess I'm still contemplating and will think about it until Friday. Curious to see if anyone else is in the same position. I'm sure I will get some opinions here but oh well, just venting on the message board. Hope everyone is enjoying USC hoops. Beat the Ducks. Beat the Spartans (SJSU)

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 24, 2021
    2018 was last season I had old seats. Got moved & old alums disappeared thanks to Pat. Post game meals tasted bad thanks to Clay. My son said Clay had made it easy not to drive up from Carlsbad. Told HH contact me when Clay removed. Not counting on Folt to approve new HC. My old dorm buddy laughed about going to see HC Clay team. This fall team has easy schedule but forget the post season bowl. Take the little ones to campus on non game day

dbw021 likes this.
  3. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 25, 2021
    This will be my 46th consecutive year. For me, there is slightly more return than risk so I renewed. But I'm doing it with my eyes open and my expectations limited. Having worked there for a couple of decades, I know how the decision makers think and hold out no hope that they will ever see things the way we want them to. It only goes downhill from here.

4. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Well..... I renewed. I probably only have a few years left anyways since I plan on leaving California when I retire. I found I missed the pageantry before game, the opportunity to go to an away game, the Marching Band. The last few years the Marching Band has become the focal point of the day.

Watching the team has been frustrating, especially watching my wife pull out her phone to play her games around the second quarter. I find the games easier to stomach at home after I have taped it so I can skip through all the timeouts and other crap. But, I am as loyal as a Golden Retriever. I have eternal optimism, I guess. And, for me, it is more than just football. I have always wanted season tickets and having them is a life accomplishment for me - I dont want to give that up. So, I will enjoy the pregame stuff with my wife, love the band , as always, and hope for the best, but expect the worst from helton.

Though, I admit, I do like the job the Athletic Department has been doing, THANK YOU DONTE!, and the interest from recruits is picking up so maybe just maybe..... there goes my eternal optimism again.

5. FIGHTON!

FIGHTON! Junior Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Fight On! Beat the Spartans! 35 plus years! Fight On!

6. Trojnfn4

Trojnfn4 Junior Member

Mar 25, 2021
    I did not renew last season and I'm not going to this season. Helton needs to go and the firm of Folt & Bohn need to hire someone who is a home run hire. If that happens then I'll renew.

MitsuTrojan likes this.
  7. TrojanEddie

TrojanEddie Junior Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Until Clay is fired SC will not get another dollar from me.

TrojanDave85 and MitsuTrojan like this.
  8. MitsuTrojan

MitsuTrojan Active Member

Mar 25, 2021
    I told my development officer [aka snake oil salesman] this back in 2017. Now they let Meyer go by untapped and it doesn't matter since I am not crossing the Pacific to watch a game in person. Well maybe hitch a ride for the ucla or ND game in LA, but we would have to stop in Alaska on the way down and it's not worth the trouble. They have ruined the program as far as I am concerned.

TrojanDave85 likes this.
  9. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Mar 25, 2021
    I did not renew as soon as they wanted to move my seats and charge me a fee for the privilege's of paying for season tickets.
    I may come back if things change, but not this year.

TrojanDave85 likes this.
  10. Donscfan

Donscfan Member

Mar 26, 2021
    In the end, I decided to renew. I'm sure I will regret it in the fall but somehow, I keep coming back (for probably a 9-3 or 8-4 record). For those who cancelled, I totally agree with your points. For those who renewed... good luck to us... not sure how much more patience we have before our passion/loyalty turns to apathy.

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Mar 26, 2021
    I will be there. My school seems to have given up on me, but I have not quite given up on it yet.

12. TrojanDave85

TrojanDave85 Junior Member

Mar 26, 2021
    Did not renew. Ticket holder since 1981, but once they moved me and all our lifelong friends, I decided to invest my money elsewhere. Retirement is around the bend and we’re moving out of CA anyway... I am a band alum so I will be back for the reunion homecoming game next year to play one last time with all my fellow Trojans, but will just buy tickets to that game.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    MitsuTrojan likes this.
  13. oajr01

oajr01 Junior Member

Mar 28, 2021
    Renewed! Fourth gen daughter most likely attending (her brother having graduated last year) so we owe it to her......plus Saturday’s just got more fun.

Fight on!

14. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Mar 28, 2021
    I let things roll over to this year. I am not happy with USC as they screwed over a lot of us long time season ticket holders with their case of greed. They built all of these high priced seats and luxury boxes at the expense of the rest of us and eliminated seats. Most of the people in these boxes leave by the 3rd quarter and spend more time doing business or chit chatting than paying attention to the game. The atmosphere at these games has changed so much with the departure of a lot of great fans. If this team falls into the abyss with Helton this year then I am not sure I will continue flying in from out of state to watch them. I guess time will tell.

Trojack likes this.
  15. Georgetirebiter IV

Georgetirebiter IV Points Member

Mar 28, 2021
    If I didn’t quit during the Hackett years, I can survive the Helton experience.

I couldn’t attend every game when raising kids, but have had season tickets for about 25 years. I imagine I would keep my season tickets if I relocate out of Calif. when I retire. Maybe downsize to just four seats.

I don’t expect anything for my tickets or donations. I’ve called HH once in all these years for a favor, to buy a second parking permit for the South Lawn, which I paid for.

I’ve been a fan for 55 years, an alumnus for 43 years, an SC parent for 22 years, and a donor for 18 years.

Fight on!!
    Beat the Ducks.

oajr01 likes this.