Season Preview: How Good are the Trojans? (From Rich Ruben)

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by ErikMcKinney, Oct 30, 2019.

2. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    2 of the "keys for success" seem to be in contradiction to each other.
    Having an excellent year this year and getting all the eligible players to return. Would love to see both, but having an excellent year usually means 1 or more players is also having an excellent year and grades out to a 1st three rounds of the draft.

Last year pisses me off, but the program is still in pretty good shape. The only "recent" period of time that was better was when Bibby was coach and we had 2 deep runs into the NCAA, including a final 8 appearance before losing to eventual NC Duke by 10.

3. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    It should be an interesting year. The team depth should be a strength. The interior play will be a major improvement
    A lot will depend on how the new PGs can run the team

4. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    They aren't pure PG's so can they handle a press or pressure. We will see full court pressure if we are up in the last minute or two. We'll see how they respond.

5. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    The two freshmen, Anderson and Sturdivant are both true point guards

6. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I stand corrected. Would either be in the game with us up by 4 with a minute to play? The press will be on.

7. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I can see Anderson in late game situations. He is a better ball handler and passer than Sturdivant at this point, and better than Weaver, who really is a combo guard and I think is better playing off the ball. Anderson handles the ball well, is a good passer, and so far appears to play under control in pressure

8. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Thank you Rich, nice that the WeAreSC writers are being more involved in basketball.

I think in a few weeks SC will be in the Top 20. It would be nice if SC can get into the Top 10 by the time they play LSU (who could also be in the Top 10). If that happens, the media attention for that game will be off the charts and that's the type of attention SC needs.

Jose and SouthbayTrojan91 like this.
  9. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Nov 1, 2019
    I agree on Anderson being in during crunch time if the press is on. Jonah handles pressure fairly well. Also, some of the bigs are adept with the dribble and can be used to go over the top, particularly Mobley.

10. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Nov 1, 2019
    I hope you are right, but given where SC is starting from (2 votes) and that they are young and will likely blow at least one game early that they shouldn't, it is unlikely they will reach past #20 before conference play IMO. If SC is ranked at all going into the LSU game, that would be a big boost.