Sears sightings?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by 3rd Slide, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Sears sightings?
    3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    if Kedon is held out, would he come back?

2. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    I was wondering the same thing but I think that bus already left the station.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  3. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    He said if SC was down to one scholarship QB he would. So...

4. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Well four games in and we are down to our last scholie QB! Next man up? A walk-on, good luck with that!
    Fight On!

5. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Seriously? When did he say this?

6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    No, he isnt. Graduating early and pursuing your dream of playing football somewhere isn't being a quitter.
    Pretty sure that was in his official statement that he posted on his Twitter account.

Troy70, Block, yah20002 and 5 others like this.
  7. east coast trojan

east coast trojan Active Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I guess my question is, why would he want to?

8. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Yes he is. Players go into the portal all the time, many or most for the same reason that he did. And I get why he did it and under the circumstances, I probably would have done the same thing. But he did not even wait until the season played out. He quit the same way that Ed Orgeron quit after we hired Sark for the 2014 season. In both cases, right when the team needed him to be ready. It's why it's called a team. That's the worst kind of quitting.

CCTrojans likes this.
  9. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    The circumstances have shifted dramatically. A month ago Jack was a 4th string QB, unlikely to see the field this season. Now he has a possible role as the #2 QB. And the way our O-line has pass protected this year, there is a real possibility he could play. So I would not rule his coming back. And he's hardly a quitter, he made a reasonable decision -- just like a lot of college athletes do now. The world has changed. Sorry if you don't like it.

10. BehindSunset

BehindSunset Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Let’s see: Your take is that Sears is a quitter - but you’d do the same thing. So then, you’re a quitter. Is that what you’re trying to convey?
    Maybe this young man decided to do what he felt is best for his future: find a team where he can start and develop under a good coaching staff. Do you think he has that chance at SC?

Block likes this.
  11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Most players going in to the portal don't have their degree and haven't been publicly told they are #4 of 4 on the depth chart. Sears was effectively told his career at USC was over and there was no chance for him to play. The coaches gave a "no confidence" vote. Why in hell should he make the choice to sit there all season? Just for the bizarre chance that USC would already be working on QB#3 at this point? It's an anomaly and nobody would have predicted it. He's a Trojan and pursuing his dream. Any parent would tell their child to do the same!

I didn't like the way Ed left and I did think he should have stayed for the players. I do however, recognize that he was misled, lied to, strung along, disrespected. The tantrum and desk-throwing were unprofessional and yet......where is Ed's team ranked today? We lookin up their skirt, y'all.

12. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    He didn't say that. He said he'd help the team if needed it.

We'll he's been needed since JT went down. But I don't think he's coming back to be a backup to Slovis and Fink.

Looks more and more like he was named fourth string because he gave a starting ultimatum. Otherwise, it would have made sense for him to come back and compete after JT was hurt.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Clearly we're both speculating but my take is that his comment was really more to be publicly supportive and say the right thing. Had he said nothing or said anything negative, there would have been backlash. Behind the scenes I don't think he really intended to be there any more than I think the coaches would have really asked.

14. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    And your source is ... ?

15. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Here's why. The portal is a strange beast. It's not like coming out of high school and having all these offers to choose from. It's more like interviewing for a job. It isn't just your body of work on the field (which, in Sears' case is ONE game where he played reasonably well but the team lost), it's the intangibles like "is he a team player". Lots of players have gone into the portal and have never come out. Others end up playing in programs much less than the ones they originally signed with. Had either Fink or Velus gone into the portal immediately before or during the season, it is doubtful they would have been let back into the program. They did it the right way. Look at Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma. He gets there because he has both talent AND because he got the team dynamics at Alabama. I wish nothing but the best for Sears but I believe he could have helped his hand tremendously if he had stayed out of the portal until the end of the season because for better or worse, he is going to be "interviewing" for his next job and leaving the team when he did is going to go on that resume.

As far as Ed, he was out of coaching for an entire season and I have to think part of that was the way he abandoned us. He also foreclosed on any possibility of coming back here had he not gotten the offer from LSU and truth be known, like Helton, he was not in high demand and probably needed the brownie point.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  16. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I clearly said it looks like. Unlike others, I make it clear when I am expressing an opinion.

17. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I don’t besmirch Sears for entering the portal. However, I were Jack, I would have stayed on the team and continue to practice with the team keeping himself in football shape and then leave as a graduate transfer after the season....

18. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    SC told the world he is #4 , why, to push him out the door. If TV didn’t drop the ball Jack would be a ‘ Winner’ by some. He got his degree & is a winner.