Scholarship math

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by chillywilly112, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Scholarship math
    chillywilly112

chillywilly112 Junior Member

Apr 25, 2020
    Love the momentum we have, just curious how many scholarships do we think we have for next season?

2. Christian

Christian Active Member

Apr 25, 2020
    20 seniors on the team for this upcoming season but I don’t believe all of them are on scholarship. I’d guess 18 are and then you’ll also have some transfers and a few underclassmen that decide to go pro early. So I’d guess the final number will be around 25

3. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Apr 25, 2020
    Check the other thread that addresses this....

4. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Apr 25, 2020
    17 seniors will leave the roster. At least two non-seniors will likely declare in Tufele and Vera-Tucker. Could have a couple more. Another spot if JT Daniels transfers. And then more spots if others transfer. I would expect probably a few on defense as this staff looks to bring in a new scheme and find its guys. I’d guess 23-25 would be the number to shoot for, and then adjust up or down based on how it looks like things will go with players leaving.

5. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Apr 26, 2020
    The one thing that I will say (even though I don't believe HCCH will ever do it) is that the numbers don't need to add up.
    We know how things go in the ACC/SEC when it comes to signing prospects, and it is not the fair, or logical thing to do.

Point: We can take as many as we want, and then figure out how to get to the 85 man limit

6. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Apr 26, 2020
    Yeah, that’s the idea behind the transfers. It’s very common that when an entire new staff comes in on one side of the ball, it can become very obvious to players that they probably aren’t in the long term plans for playing time. At that point the transfer portal becomes an option.

7. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Apr 30, 2020
    True, but then you run the risk of allowing players to come back, and then that opens up another door of questions that HCCH will have to answer to.
    Daniels entered his name, if he comes back to USC, competes for the #1 QB spot, loses and then leaves again?
    How does that make HCCH look?
    It is almost like coaches are going to have to implement rules on what the options are when their players are going to enter their name in the transfer portal.

Wasn't there a coach last season, or 2018 that had a mass exodus of players and told all of them that they would not be welcomed back to the program?