SC Track and Field Signings Update

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by mfortroy, Nov 28, 2018.

1. SC Track and Field Signings Update
    mfortroy

mfortroy Junior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    In light of the turmoil going on with our football program, the current status of SC track and field comes as a breath of fresh air. The latest example being Coach Caryl Smith Gilbert being named Nike Coach of the Year! This honor is further exemplified with the news of the recent signings of new recruits for 2020. The most prominent being Brian Herron (20.92/46.07) and Nicholas Ramey (46.20) both out of Georgia. These guys are worthy successors to Michael Norman and Rai Benjamin. The fact that the U of Georgia has an exceptionally strong track program and I'm sure put a full court press into signing these two juniors, makes this all the more impressive. I don't know what we're paying Coach Caryl (and Staff) but she's worth every penny! Whenever I need a boost, I go on YouTube to see the Women's 4 x 400 relay from last year's national meet and immediately get pumped up! Fight On!

2. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Caryl is the real deal. If you haven't seen a replay of that relay, you really need to do so. You can YouTube it or catch it on the USC T&F Twitter page: @usc_track_field

It's pinned at the top, you can't miss it. I've watched it a couple of dozen times since. Remember, the women had to win the relay to win the Championship.

3. einibobo

einibobo Junior Member

Dec 1, 2018
    I am confused, are these two signees juniors? If so, how can they sign a letter of intent? I thought you had to be a senior?? Are the rules for different for track and field than other sports??

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 2, 2018
    They are both Class of 2019.

Interesting on Herron. His high school made a change in staff and neither he nor his parents like the new coach so they made the decision for him not to run high school track for this upcoming senior season and just run for his club.