SC offers OL Coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Jay4usc, Jan 10, 2021.

2. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    While it feels like a shitty hire, I have to say that landing an employed power-5 OL coach is more than I thought we could get. It is a lateral hire at best. I do like the Sam Pittman connection though, as he is an o-line guru.

Edit...I don't like seeing that his team allowed more sacks per game than every other Power-5 team not named Arizona, Kansas, Cal, or Baylor. Especially when they threw fewer passes per game than 90% of Power-5 teams.

Second Edit...I didn't realize that we averaged more pass attempts per game than every other team in the country outside of Mississippi State! Pretty amazing stat for a team led by the son of an o-line coach.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  3. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Dandelion; fluffy and delicate.

Would have preferred the OL to be stout like oak.

jjg4sc and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. EdtheConquerer17

EdtheConquerer17 Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Hopefully he can bring Chibueze Nwanna with him.

zitorocks likes this.
  5. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Is Chibueze Nwanna worth going after? I looked at old Razorback depth chart projections (before Nwanna opted out), and they all had him pretty far down the list. The last two I looked at had him as a rerserve, so not even 1st or 2nd off the bench. Plus, it looks like the last time he played was in 2017!? Is that right?

6. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Note - This is Harrell’s guy, Helton has no connections other then his agent’s Rolodex. Ok now that this is Harrell’s guy, no excuses for no run game.
    Fight On!

Trojack likes this.
  7. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    It looks like, for all intents and purposes, Harrell went to Bohn and said to hire this guy. If you're going to let your offensive coordinator actually coordinate your offense (I know, a novel idea), you have to give him the final say on who his position coaches are going to be. If it doesn't work out, you fire all of them. His resume is actually pretty good and he appears well-experienced in coaching in a spread/Air Raid offense as well as a power game.

8. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    I just wonder how Bohn structured his contract. Like you said if it doesn’t work out and you give him a multi year deal you will have to buy it out. But I guess that’s what happens when you work Assbackwards! Thanks for the information!
    Fight On!

9. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    This!

I am not sure most of us understand that this is not the same USC program from 10-12 years ago.
    Look at it this way, USC finished ranked #17 in the final CFP rankings right?
    Of the 16 teams ranked ahead of them, I believe that USC would have a chance at stealing...five (Coastal Carolina/Northwestern/Iowa State) of those program's OL coach, but USC shouldn't want their coaches.
    Of the other two (Indiana/BYU) that I believe USC could steal, I am not 100% sure if their phone rang and USC is on the other line, they would seriously listen to the pitch/offer?

USC is a 3rd tier national program, which is a 20-30 program in 2020.
    Now if USC can put together a repeat of 2020, their SHOULD be a buzz around the program going into 2022 and that is when you might be able to steal a better OL coach, but by that time we might be looking at a completely different situation as our HC and/or OC are no longer there anymore.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    This would make him THE ANSWER to our new years SC wish list.
    Thanks for the heads up.

11. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    It's hard to know what is going on inside Bohn's head but if you start putting all the puzzle pieces together, it looks like what he is doing is buying himself a couple of years of stability until the department is in a position to buy Helton out and send him packing. Every hire Bohn made is a hire Helton would not have made on his own and all of them, from a resume standpoint, made a lot of sense.

12. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    I would love it if we hired a different Davis (Bo Davis) from the Detroit Lions. I like Vic, but Bo Davis would be one hell of an upgrade. I'd love to see that guy working with our defensive lineman. I read that he was on the list for Oregon's DC job.

KeenObserver likes this.
  13. JImmytheGreek

JImmytheGreek Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    How would you like to be the offensive line coach for a head coach who believes that physicality plays no role in football?

AMLTrojan and OC2SC like this.
  14. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Is this irony. If it is it's hilarious. Wasn't Bo Davis our D line coach for a weekend once?

Edit: Indeed he was https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/dl-coach-bo-davis-jumps-from-usc-to-alabama-after-one-week-on-the-job/

Trojack likes this.
  15. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 11, 2021
    What I was thinking is that Davis and Harrell have already worked together, their styles may mesh better than Harrell and Drevno's did. Davis may understand more nuances of O-line play in an Air Raid setup than perhaps Drevno did. Hopefully it bears fruit, but if not, it'll be another looooong season.

16. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Any updates on the OL coach?

I was just watching some little thing on Iowa State's OL coach, Jeff Myers. I wish he was our guy. He's a young guy that is going to be an absolute star. It would probably be too high risk a move for someone like him.