SC Athletics needs better writers, ASAP.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by SCFilmTune94, Dec 9, 2019.

1. SC Athletics needs better writers, ASAP.
    SCFilmTune94

SCFilmTune94 Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Now that I’ve stepped back from the ledge, at least momentarily, I want to address something that USC athletics might actually be worse at than decision making, and that is: Messaging.

As I work in the entertainment industry…barring a new coach, the next thing that Mike Bohn and Clay Helton need first and foremost is a good writer! There have literally been tens of thousands that have graduated from the building just down from Heritage Hall. Go find one and FAST!!!

After an excruciating and damaging 11 day wait, I think it’s painfully obvious that USC did try to make a home run hire and just couldn’t get it done, whether because of money or control or both. Then, Bohn decided that paying the huge buyout in exchange for a non top tier coach wasn’t worth the risk…While massively disappointing, that’s at least a thought out (albeit misguided) professional approach if that was his strategy, and yes, I get that he can’t say that without undermining the current (now future) staff...But, what his tweet really should have said then for the fans is this:

“I was impressed in my short time here at how coach Helton finished strong considering the injuries and young team. I’m going to throw my support behind him to show us what he can do next year. He knows that our expectations here for competition, discipline, and culture are much higher than where we are right now and that our loyal fans expect us to compete on a championship level each and every year, not just in conference but nationally. I think think we can do that with all of the young talent on our roster and coach Helton now knows that I expect him to swiftly make every necessary adjustment to get that done starting today. I know the fans, the players, the alumni, as well as both coach and I look forward to being back in the National championship picture next year. With our talent and tradition, anything less is unacceptable. Fight on and see you in the playoffs!”

Period…and an unmistakeable ultimatum. Done. Then, Helton’s tweet should have responded like this:

“I’m so grateful for the support of President Folt and Mike Bohn. I appreciate that they saw us finish strong in spite of a young team and many injuries. I’m so proud of our players for not quitting and showing the tenacity to FIGHT ON like true Trojans to the bitter end. BUT, make no mistake about it…I understand that injuries and youth are a part of college football and are no excuse for not achieving our goals. Yes, 8-4 is an improvement from last year, but in no way is that record acceptable in a weakened Pac 12 conference, and I take full responsibility for that. I made some promising improvements with our staff changes this year, but it was obviously not enough to get us back to where we need to be, and that is competing immediately for the Rose Bowl and National Championships…That is completely overhauling our culture and discipline, methods of practice, and changing our approach in order to not only guarantee that we are in playoff contention with the most elite teams in the nation each year, but also reviving the tradition of our dominating years of sending more of our players to the next level than anyone in the country. Competition will reign supreme from this day forward! That is our promise to them and to all members of the Trojan Family. Anything less is unacceptable. You have my word and my profound gratitude. Now let’s get to work. Fight On!”

THAT is what the Trojan faithful wanted to hear (once the decision was made)…in tweets, at press conferences (which are unbearable), and on social media. Show us that you hear us! Show us that you understand…and show the players and recruits where the bar is set!

And if it doesn’t happen: There is no ambiguity. No arguments. No waiting. He resigns or is fired for not meeting clear expectations. It’s over.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Moose4usc, RPBSC, Troy70 and 3 others like this.

2. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    You might need better comprehension. No where has anyone in the Admin suggested that national titles are a goal. No where, by no one.

Many of the Trojan faithful have no interest in football.

3. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Very well stated. I would just make one edit — include the word “physical” in every other sentence.

Nowhere does this team fall short more so than in its capacity to physically dominate its opponent on any given Saturday. This absolutely must change if we’re to climb back to the elite level.

It starts in recruiting (identifying intense competitors who battle to the whistle), continues through coaching and development, and shows itself on the practice field and in games. Game intensity should just be an extension of intensely physical practices.

Nothing in Helton's leadership style, coaching philosophy, or practice habits (and certainly nothing in his vacuous press conferences) would suggest that he understands this concept and can achieve the necessary results with his players.

SCFilmTune94 likes this.
  4. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    And therein lies the problem.....

It’s 2020 now, not 1972, the goal isn’t the Rose Bowl, and then sit and wait for someone to vote us NC. Now the goal IS the playoffs, and ultimately NCs. Today, you have to win your NCs on the field.

Troy70 likes this.
  5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    you are correct Auggie, it was as much a Popularity Contest as winning on the field.

August West likes this.
  6. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Go back and watch YouTube interviews of Mike Bohn and Carol Folt. It's like a broken record. Same message, same jive, same spin.

It's a gimmick.

These two use the same buzz words to shut you up. To keep you from asking tough questions.

Quote: We are going to do everything we can to be successful.

Question: Then why didn't you fire Clay Helton?

Answer: Clay Helton is a man of "Integrity"

Quote: We will use all our resources to make sure we succeed.

Question: Then why didn't you pay Bob Stoops staff?

Answer: Clay Helton is a man of "Integrity"

I feel like John McEnroe talking to a Line judge asking Bohn to "Answer the Question, The Question Jerk"

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    August West and Troy70 like this.
  7. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    That video never gets old....well done

Cardinal&Gold likes this.