Sark off to great start

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by wes4usc, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Sark off to great start
    wes4usc

wes4usc Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Steve Sarkisian's Defense of 'The Eyes of Texas' Won't Sit Will With His Players (msn.com)

upload_2021-1-12_23-43-18.png
    upload_2021-1-12_23-44-34.png
    Steve Sarkisian stumbled out of the gate during his introductory press conference at Texas. The 46-year-old head coach fully jumped into the turbulent waters surrounding the song "The Eyes of Texas" and may have drowned his tenure in the process.

[​IMG]© Provided by The Big Lead Steve Sarkisian, Alabama Spring Game | Joe Robbins/Getty Images
    When asked about the controversy surrounding "The Eyes of Texas" Sarkisian responded forcefully:

Sark: "I know this much, The Eyes of Texas is our school song. We’re going to sing that song, we’re going to sing that proudly." Says that he knows there are tough discussions that need to happen. But, "That's our song and we're fired up to sing it."

That's going to go over like a lead balloon with his players.

Remember, over the summer, Texas' athletes came together and called for major changes to the university's athletics department. That included removing "The Eyes of Texas" as the school's signature song. The song has a history rooted in racism and players did not want to be associated with it, let along be forced to stand for and sing it after football games.

2. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Jan 13, 2021
    How many players are going to enter the transfer portal over this?

Sark has the players there already.

If he walked into USC with Bijan Robinson and all that talent at WR and TE he could have won.

But he had a team who was suffering from the lasting effects of the NCAA.
    Even with that the guy for 21 months brought in players who eventually took us to two consecutive NYD6 bowls. The highlight of our program post PC

People want to play in the NFL. Sark sells that. His resume is up there. He has worked for maybe the two best coaches in CFB the last 20 years. Definitely the only ones who had the chance to win 3 straight NC

3. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I just read the article and the attached link about the song's history. There is nothing racist about the wording of the song. It was not intended to be racist by the author. The first time it was sung however, 117 years ago, it was done so by 4 students who were wearing blackface, which I guess was fairly common back in the day. I doubt that more than 1% of the people who sang the song for the last several generations even knew about this. They simply liked the words and the melody (sung to the tune of "I've been working on the railroad"). Black football players have been singing it too for the last 40 years or so as well. They had no idea of the songs origins either. The question is, do people have to be offended by everything? Does every tradition have to be ended and statue toppled if a tenuous link can be made to something or someone who is now considered racist?

I'm honestly not sure what the answer is to the above question. I suppose it depends on which side of the aisle you are sitting.

Trojan JST, OC2SC, User1234 and 5 others like this.
  4. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Well said, but this quote occurred to me as I read about this:
    "Don't go looking for trouble--trouble usually finds me."
    Was this really how Sark wants to begin his tenure? He'll have enough issues to deal with just in the normal course of the job, no? Why add this?

5. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I remember a similar brouhaha about the Star Spangled Banner and how, in one of the verses (4th verse, IIRC, but we usually only sing the first) there's an oblique reference to slavery. It went away fairly quickly.

I'm all for rooting out "traditions" which have their origins in hatred and supremacy, but I don't think this is one of them. I mean, what if say, Notre Dame or BYU started printing "God is With Us" on their jerseys or helmets - should we be offended by that given what the Wehrmacht had on their belt buckles?

6. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Hell, Alabama shouldn’t even he allowed to field a team based on ancient history.

7. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    No Sark fan, but this seems like projection by the author. I think the players first priority is winning. Not the school song.

User1234 and AMLTrojan like this.
  8. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Bear Bryant was known to be a racist.

9. conquest4ever81

Jan 13, 2021
    Is someone going to check Sark's cupboard for Aunt Jemima syrup and boxes of Uncle Ben's Rice?

10. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    What in the hell is the matter with you?

11. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Jan 13, 2021
    It would have been great if things went differently. With hindsight being 20/20, we can easily see his recruiting and development carried Helton for a full 2 seasons. Unfortunately we hired him at a time in his life where he was not emotionally ready for the responsibility. I don't know how many chances Pat gave him, but if he couldn't find the right state of mind for the responsibility, we had to do what we had to do. Its unfortunate that he felt he had to sue USC, which effectively ended any future relationship.

Opportunity lost, for both parties, IMO.

AMLTrojan likes this.
  12. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    My son has a patent agent he works with that is a Texas player parent. Word was boosters were behind ousting Herman over this song

13. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    For the record, Sark's wife is black. She an ex USC track and field coach, Loreal Smith...now Loreal Smith Sarkisian.

14. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    This is a very good question. It needs to be stated that it was not part of his opening remarks. He said what he did in response to a question. I did watch the press conference, and he was forceful when he stated his position on this. What is interesting to me that I have access to the Texas premium message board, which is very active, with many times more posters than here. There is not one thread or article on what Sark mentioned about the Eyes of Texas. This shocked me. That national media obviously wants to make this a major topic. Texas fans for whatever reason don't think it is.

Troy70, KeenObserver and AMLTrojan like this.
  15. conquest4ever81

Jan 13, 2021
    Thanks for the clarification. I despise Sark for suing USC and will never consider him to be a Trojan. As far as many Trojan supporters are concerned he is dead to USC. However, I loathe mindless political correctness in all its petty forms and I refuse to believe he has a drop of racist blood flowing through his veins.

16. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Isn't that always the case. A handful of provocateurs stir up a bunch of shit over a benign issue and it's starts to pit a whole bunch of people against each other.I wish society would call these people out and tell them to FO and I don't mean fight on.

17. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    So replace it with Police Truck by the Dead Kennedy’s

18. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I was fully supportive of Sark's firing, but like everything else with Haden, he botched it, first telling Sark he was to take a leave of absence to get treatment, then deciding to fire him. He released this information about his firing to the press without first informing Sark, who was on a plane to his rehab. Caused some hard feelings and the law suit, but the suit was dropped fairly quickly and he agreed to arbitration. I understand people hating him for that and I did for while, but I've moved on from it. I'm happy he's doing well and is 100% clean and sober.