Rose Bowl team selection rules from the horse's mouth

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by FightOnSC247, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Rose Bowl team selection rules from the horse's mouth
    FightOnSC247

FightOnSC247 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Finally, for me at least, here are the rules about PAC-12 selection process for 2016-2017 Rose Bowl. Page 76 of the PAC-12 2016-2017 Handbook (see link below) states that:

''The Rose Bowl will select the highest rated remaining team in the final College Football Playoff Selection Committee standings as a replacement team when the Conference champion is selected to play in a College Football Playoff semifinal game''.

http://compliance.pac-12.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2016-17-P12-Handbook.v3.pdf

2. 323TROJANS

323TROJANS Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Guess this means that we need a lot of help from the dawgs this Friday. I truly hope they embarrass the buffs enough, so that they drop past us in the final CFP standings.

3. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Thank you.....nothing against everybody but now we know we have a chance. Looks like UDUB needs to smash the buffs.

4. HtownSC

HtownSC Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Doesn't even have to be a big loss. We beat UW and CU head to head. A 3 loss CU will not be ranked ahead of us.

And nice find on the PAC12 rules!

5. drheisenberg

drheisenberg Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    OK lets look at this logically.
    Right now Colorado is 9, OK State is 10, Louisville is 11, USC is 12.
    Louisville is going to drop this week, meaning going into the CCG week we should be 2 spots behind Colorado.
    If Colorado loses as does OK State which I don't either is a huge stretch, how would we not end up being ranked over Colorado?
    I understand they don't want to "punish" a team for losing in a CCG, but there has to be some consequence in the rankings to losing.
    You mean to tell me the loser of PSU/Wisky is not going to drop?
    I would say we have about a 75% chance of Roses.

6. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Yep, unless for some messed up reason UW wins Friday but still doesn't doesn't make the Final Four...

7. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I do think the Huskies need to beat the Buffs big time to ensure the RB berth. If Colorado looks good in a loss. I'm not sure they will drop the Buffs below us. The head to head will be important to the committee however.

8. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    It does look like we have a decent shot at the Rose Bowl if Washington wins Friday night.
    When the committee looks at the wins and losses and when they happened we have a better chance...

9. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I'm going to be honest. We really don't deserve the Rose Bowl in the conventional standard. It would be the consolation prize. I think we are the best team in the PAC right now--with Stanford but we did not take care of business in Sept. The Utah game was one that really pisses me off. More so that the two drubbings.

10. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I'm encouraged by the fact the committee SEEMS to be talking about USC behind closed doors on a regular basis - so hopefully they'll be conscientious and really take into consideration that we won the head to head and we are on fire right now. its gonna be a close call but i won't be surprised either way.

11. drheisenberg

Nov 29, 2016
    I don't think they even need to lose "big time" because we are going to start the week right next to each other in the rankings most likely. If they don't drop Colorado at all in a loss that's going to have bad optics. If we had a wider gap they could drop Colorado some and they would still be ahead of us. What could monkey wrench the thing is obviously a Colorado win, in which case, good for them OR a OK State win.

12. SCisBack

SCisBack Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I believe the CFP committee will have USC right behind CU (only one or two spots) for a reason. They will have to drop CU after a loss. The only place to go is below us. If the Buffs win, they move up further and it justifies the committes's current placement of the Buffs slightly ahead of us. UW could possibly fall below us if they lose. The committee will take account of their lousy OOC schedule and the fact that they lost to both CU and USC in that scenario.

I like our chances to make the Rose Bowl right now. The difficult scenario would be should UW win but not make the playoff - perhaps if the committee decides to put two Big 10 teams in.

13. VegasPlayer

VegasPlayer Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Nobody knows what the CFP committee will do to Colorado if they lose to Washington next week in a close game right now.

Michigan loses a game to Iowa and only dropped 1 spot, We'll see how far Michigan drops after this last loss, knowing how they love Michigan they will leave them at 3. lol

The Committee might love Colorado also, just like they liked Iowa last year and kept them ahead of Ohio State after the Big 10 conference championship game loss year to Michigan State.

14. 4uscfighton!

4uscfighton! Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Colorado played Colorado State, Idaho State and Michigan. USC played Alabama, Utah State and Notre Dame. even up @ 3 losses each, we rank higher on strength of schedule. Also - we beat the two teams that are playing for the PAC 12 Championship. Washington wins - USC is the highest ranked remaining team.

15. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Rose bowl here we come, I hope.

16. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Bullshit. Colorado deserves the Rose Bowl. Period. we beat them by 4 points at home. Quit whining. We should have beat Utah and Stanford. We didnt.

Hell they might beat Washington, they are a good team.

17. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I think the committee believed that Michigan and Clemson were still two of the top 4 teams when they only dropped them the one spot. There weren't other teams right behind them worthy of taking one of the four playoff spots......hence, them dropping the one place.

With SC being such a hot topic, i doubt the committee would have a problem dropping Colorado behind them.....assuming a UC loss in the CCG. Neither team is battling for one of the four coveted playoff spots, so it would be a lot less pressure in the decision.

18. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016

Colorado doesn't ''deserve'' the Rose Bowl unless it wins Friday night, or is rated by the committee highest of non-playoff Pac 12 teams.

Colorado doesn't ''deserve'' the Rose Bowl any more than HRC ''deserved'' the White House.

19. drheisenberg

Nov 29, 2016
    Wait, why would Colorado deserve the Rose Bowl, if we are both 3 loss teams? We won the head to head. That makes zero sense at all. They have control of their destiny. If they want Roses go out and beat UW. If they lose, giving them the Rose Bowl would be a hell of a reach, given they would have zero quality wins for the year.

20. 805trojan

805trojan Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Am I missing something here, it doesn't say that the RB has to take a P12 team when considering the highest ranked teams according to the BCS rankings. Couldn't there be a case they take some other team within the top 10 as the replacement?

21. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    While the Pac-12 can certainly have their rules about the Rose Bowl, I believe the folks who ultimately decide who will replace a Pac-12 Conference champion if it goes to the CFP is the Rose Bowl Committee. Its a group of those guys that wear the white coats on New Year's Day (or January 2 this year) who are lawyers, doctors, local businessmen and politicians who get to decide who plays in their game. Some years they go traditional (Illinois with 4 losses over other teams outside the Big10 with fewer losses) and other times not (stiffing Cal for whining Mack and the Longhorns in 2005 when USC was playing in the BCS Championship in the Orange Bowl)

So whatever the rankings I believe the white coats in Pasadena have the ultimate say over who from the Pac-12 plays if UW is in the CFP - and it could go either way between a Big10 Champ playing against the very hot Trojans in what would be TV gold or it could be the feel-good story of Colorado making it's first Rose Bowl trip (and bringing in a boatload of hotel business to little old Pasadena)

I just don't think you can point to any rule that says what the white coats must do .............

22. DPforlife

DPforlife Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I think it will come down to how Colorado plays Friday. If they lose a close one, the Committee may keep them ahead of us. If they get blown out, they should fall behind.

23. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Trojans beat the other 2 top Pac 12 teams, Washington and Colorado. Colorado would have lost to the other top Pac 12 teams, USC and Washington, and all these games were played well into the season. Not hard to figure out who is the better team right now between USC and Colorado.

24. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    You guys worry too much. If UW wins -- and it's highly likely they will -- it's Roses.

25. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016

Nope.

And . . .
    Nope.

But I do agree that they are a good team, just not as good as we are.

And on the ''Quite whining'' statement: Nope. I don't hear any whining, just reasoned analysis.

They should have beaten Michigan. They didn't. When we get the Rose Bowl invite, we'll have earned it, not backed into it.

26. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Does Big Ten selection have the same rules?

27. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    And they could go with whatever team is ranked #5 or #6. They do not have to go with a Pac-12 team. That is not what the excerpt says.

28. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I agree. It's still up to the committee to let Washington into the playoffs. It's not a given but they should be there. If so, I can smell the roses. Some teams feelings are going to be hurt by this 4 team playoff system this year.

29. Kindred

Kindred Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Going strictly from the quote, it leaves one open to interpret what they mean. Is it the highest ranked team period? Or is it the highest ranked teams from the Pac 12 and the big 10? If it is the former, it could end up with a non traditional matchup.

30. Kindred

Kindred Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    The applicable part: '' The Rose Bowl will select the highest rated remaining team in the final College Football Playoff Selection Committee standings " Bad news, no where does it say Pac 12 team remaining in the standings, and there is no way we will climb high enough to make it based on the rules. If we are 12 right now, we would need 4 out of 7 teams ahead of us to drop below us (I came to this number because I figure there will be Ohio State in the playoffs, that leave Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State ahead of us, and one of them will be selected to play in the RB, and I doubt the RB committee wants a big 10 vs big 10 match up). The only possible saving grace would be if all other bowls have selected teams by the time the RB gets to USC.

31. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    As I read it, "remaining team", refers to highest ranked remaining pac 12 team that did not go to the college play offs.

32. RCR4USC

RCR4USC Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I think that is right. I was just reading an ESPN article and their take is the same: If Washington beats Colorado and goes to the playoff, the Rose Bowl will be obligated to take the next-highest-ranked team from the Pac-12, which will be either USC or Colorado.

33. FightOnSC247

FightOnSC247 Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Well, CFP ranking just came out and Colorado is #8 and SC is #11. What now? If Colorado loses, will it drop below 11? They have to get a beating from Washington for that to happen. Otherwise, if Colorado loses in a close game, they will go to the Rose Bow.

The plot thickens!

34. DPforlife

DPforlife Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Remember - the CFB Playoff Committee doesn't need to take into account that we beat Colorado at this point in time. If UW beats CU, then they will have to look very close at head to head, common opponents, etc to determine final placement. Would seem the scale would tip in SC's favor if they consider everything.

35. SportsInformationDirector

SportsInformationDirector Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    The conference championship games are strictly to make money for the conference by selling conference champ merchandise, and overpriced tickets to a game at a nfl stadium. If Colorado wins they go to the rose bowl, if they lose they most likely go to the rose bowl, so what the hell are they really playing this game for.

In a playoff era they are otherwise irrelevant. The rose bowl picks the runner up from the Pac 12, the sugar picks the runner up from sec an 8-4 Auburn team?? The new years six should not have tie ins with a playoff format. The bowls should draft teams based on matchups etc. Both Colorado, and USC deserve new years six bowl based on the fact that neither has lost since the beginning of October! Instead one team will go the other will not. and in the big ten 4 teams get to go! Why not just take the top 4 and then 5 play 12 6 play 11 7 play 10 and 8 play 9.

36. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    All SC needs is a win by udub that's all and the're in the rose bowl plain and simple. They can't deny us

37. JoeAndras

JoeAndras Junior Member

Nov 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

This restatement comes from the Pac-12 Handbook, so it may still be a little different than the actual words directly out of the “horse’s mouth,” namely the three-way agreement between the Pac-12, the Big Ten, and the Rose Bowl, the so-called “Second Amended and Restated Rose Bowl Agreement” being referenced above.

I wouldn’t bet my life on it, but I’m pretty sure that the two conferences obligated the Rose Bowl to pick the replacement team from within the conferences.

38. AllHailSC

AllHailSC Banned

Nov 29, 2016
    3 games could knock 5 teams out of the top 10: Colorado, Wisconsin, Penn State, Oklahoma, OK State. Which means USC could move up 3 spots to # 8 at best. Which is where Colorado is now. So if Colorado loses to Washington, the playoff committee should drop them at least 1 spot to 9 or worse. I think SC is still in the Rose Bowl picture. The head to head win vs. CU and dominant win at Washington should put us in Pasadena. That's if CU loses to UW.