ROSE BOWL Should Be Interesting this year.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by VELOSH82, Dec 3, 2019.

1. ROSE BOWL Should Be Interesting this year.
    VELOSH82

VELOSH82 Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Given the PLAYOFF Madness, of who will be In between UTAH, BAYLOR, or OU, I'll be Especially and very Interested in the ROSE BOWL this season. My eyes will be glued to that BOWL game.

The 2 teams going should have No more than 2 Losses. Or even 1, should both UTAH and Winner between Baylor/OU get Left Out of Playoff.

This would be the year, I'd Not go with a BIG 10 Team should Georgia Win the $ec and get in.

Let's say UTAH or OU finish 5, with the other 6, I'd have those 2 meet in PASADENA. Period!

If I'm the Rose Bowl Committee, and OU or Baylor get In the Playoff over UTAH, Only then would I go with BIG TEN and in this case, I'd select MINNESOTA with only 2 Losses vs. WISCONSIN who would have 3 L's on the season. Even though Wisconsin beat them.

A ROSE Bowl between UTAH and OU might be the most watched game on JAN given those 2 were Left Out (given Georgia Wins $ec Con game).

UTES and SOONERS would draw Interest given UTAH would be making their 1st ever Rose Bowl appearance while OU Travels well, and shows up for most January Day NY6 Bowl games.

Or, should the Committee take OU for the Playoff, a Matchup between UTAH and BAYLOR or UTAH vs Minnesota would also be Interesting.

You also have the possibility of OREGON, should they beat UTAH, they would play either OU/ Baylor Winner, or Minnesota in the Rose Bowl.

Either way, this years PLayoff Madness, has Opened the door for the ROSE BOWL to get much better ratings than these past years.

Thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    1988Trojan and redeye like this.

2. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    The Rose Bowl folks regret joining the Bowl Alliance, the fateful decision in the late 90s that led to twenty years of eroding the greatness of the Granddaddy of Them All.

The Rose Bowl was perhaps the greatest event and brand in all of sports prior to the BCS and CFP era.

3. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    I think it will be:
    Ore vs. Penn State

Utah and tOSU go to the playoff.

You're right in that Wisky has (will have) 3 losses and not be as shiny a pick.

4. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    IMHO I would find nothing interesting in a Rose Bowl with a 3-loss Oregon (if Utah wins the Pac12 and makes the CFP) versus a 3-loss Wisconsin (if they lose again to tOSU in the Big10 Championship). And I don't really like the idea of the Rose Bowl folks picking teams from the Pac12 or Big10 that didn't at least contend for their conference championships (although a Minnesota/USC game would certainly be interesting). Why not invite Notre Dame to play in the Rose Bowl instead of a 3-loss Wisconsin or Oklahoma? Return of the Irish to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl would certainly cause some interest and a matchup with Oregon would be at least a bit interesting compared to the other options (one team could wear all green and the other could wear all gold in the type of fashion catastrophes that Nike and Under Armour like to sponsor these days!). Or if Utah did happen to get jobbed out of the CFP even if they beat Oregon than Utah/Notre Dame would be more intersting than a Big10 loser. Totally agree that the Rose Bowl was the big loser in push for a playoff and CFP championship game at gaudy NFL stadiums (although I guess LA will be hosting the game in 2021 in SOFI stadium). Still hoping that USC gets Holiday Bowl nod against either Minnesota or Michigan - that would be fun.

VELOSH82 likes this.
  5. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    I fail to feel the Rose Bowl enthusiasm....my bad.

6. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Utah or Oregon will be in the Rose Bowl game depending on who wins in Santa Clara. Even if Utah wins, in no way do I believe that a one loss Utah team deserves to play in the CFP. What made my decision is a question I asked myself: Who I thought would win in a game between Utah vs Georgia? My answer: Georgia in a runaway.

My CFP picks.
    Clemson
    Ohio St
    Georgia
    Lsu

7. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Chamber of commerce says Minnesota, they would stay for a week or 2

1988Trojan and in2nation like this.
  8. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    The Committee will never abandon the Big 10. The Big 10 is what gives the RB much of its relevance...and the only reason the Pac 12 has any clout is because the Big 10 likes us. Big 10 teams travel well, spend money when they get here (a December vacation in sunny Calif when you're freezing in Ames, Ann Arbor or Madison?)...and Big 10 teams have enormous alum bases, big TV ratings...all the things the Pac 12 lacks. Why would the RB Committee risk offending their golden goose?

If anyone watches Utah in a RB game, it's because of the opponent, not because Utah won the Pac 12.

9. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    The RB has a lot of history and positive sentiment for us. I had no problem with the old ‘poll & bowl’ system. The BCS and current “playoff” BS has not been any better at all.

10. VELOSH82

VELOSH82 Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Agree 100%

And it's just Not the same since Keith Jackson is gone and the fact that ESPN Now Hosts the game.

KnightsWhoSayNi likes this.
  11. 1988Trojan

1988Trojan Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Minnesota

12. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Wow...UGA over LSU in SECCG. I don’t see UGA scoring enough to do that.

13. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Utah vs OU would likely not be a game that many people are
    I was going to see this earlier. This is not a personal attack on Utah but I highly doubt anyone is going to care about the Rose Bowl if they are participating.

Oklahoma is a border blue blood. They aren't Texas, Ohio State, or USC. Jalen going against the Utah defense may be interesting to watch. But I don't expect many people to care that much.

14. CoronaTrojanFan

Dec 3, 2019
    Ask Aaron Rodgers about the Rose Bowl allegiance to the Pac10/12 or Big 10 matchup. They dumped Aaron and Cal for Vince Young and whining Mac in the 2006 game denying Cal their first trip to the Rose Bowl in 50 years. On the other hand, the Rose Bowl brought Illinois out when there were plenty of other teams that had better records for the year. So it is the case that every so often the Rose Bowl will toss a curveball into the relationship with the conferences to put together a game that will have greater interest than a mismatch dictated by the Pac12/Big10 arrangement.

VELOSH82 likes this.
  15. VELOSH82

VELOSH82 Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Your points are well taken, and understood, but I strongly dissagree with your last paragraph.

Should Wisconsin get in, I wont be watching the Rose Bowl because of them. Or Minnesota.

I'll be watching to see what Statement UTAH would make should they be left out of the Playoffs.

When SC Smacked Michigan around in 2004 Rb, in the 08 game vs ILLINOIS, or in the 09 game vs PSU, Do you think most watched those Bowls only because those 3 BIG TEN teams were there?

And what should happen when the BIG TEN is down and say the PAC has a great decade, and it will happen, what then would you think then?

While a RB is Not the same when a BIG TEN is not there, it's also not the same when the PAC representative is also absent.

2002/03 season gave us a Horrible Rb game between a beat up Washington St team vs a Hot OU Sooner team.

SC That season should have got the Sooners and WASHINGTON St should have gotten Iowa who wanted to be in Pasadena to begin with. It would have been a much better game.

16. CoronaTrojanFan

Dec 3, 2019
    Utah making its first Rose Bowl appearance EVER will be somewhat historic - but if Utah wins the Pac12 Championship game AND ends up in the Rose Bowl because they got jobbed out of the CFP, then perhaps a more deserving opponent than a 3-loss Wisconson or 2-loss non-champion Penn State or Minnesota could be found (OK - Minnesota would be nice but if you wanted to have some real juice you get Notre Dame since both Utah and the Irish would have something to prove.

VELOSH82 likes this.
  17. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    then again.....qqqqqman refers to bowls as "crap bowls"

18. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    I don't think Georgia beats Utah in a runaway. That game would be close. Georgia's offense is still an SEC offense and Utah's weak secondary has improved since USC. I think it would be a low scoring game, but a close one. Georgia +3 is my guess.

19. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Utah vs Minnesota in the rose bowl sounds like a bad joke.

20. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Alamo? Holiday? Emerald? Vegas? LOL

Yeah....Crap bowls.

The Rose Bowl is hardly a crap bowl.....and didn’t say it was....just not as interesting watching Utah and Minnesota. Have fun!