Reports: USC to hire Clay McGuire as OL coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 19, 2021.

1. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jan 24, 2021
    I'm hoping they make the announcement soon so the team can begin getting ready for Spring practice. As mentioned in my earlier post, I think the delay is around family concerns. Looking at salary data for Line Coaches (O and D) in the Pac-12, they've making $300,000 to $350,000... while McGuire was getting around $130,000 at Texas Tech two years ago and I'd have to assume his Texas State salary is about the same if not a little less. So I don't think salary should be an issue in his decision.

2. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 24, 2021
    You are assuming that a very good OL coach would want to come to SC. I think SC is willing, with Bohn in charge, to spend the money, but Helton on the hot seat, Harrell's offense hamstringing an OL coach; would you take a job in that setting? Hell no and that's why you get the bottom of the barrell.

3. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Jan 24, 2021
    You'd have to wonder how the story got this far along if his wife wasn't onboard from the beginning. Did he make the decision to come here all by himself and then tell her about it later? Doubtful.

Also, doesn't 'SC provide housing assistance?

4. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jan 24, 2021
    It's not like this is a spouse or family of an active duty military member where you have no say in the decision. Also there's no official word on where he is in his decision. A podcast on another website reported that the OL coach selection "committee" consisted solely of Harrell and the offensive assistant coaches, and they had ranked the candidates with McGuire being the number one choice based on several factors. So there are other options if he doesn't accept the job offer - but I think he will.

Think about the process, its not as simple as here's the job and yep I'll take it. USC makes an offer, he and his agent look it over, if its close he discusses with the wife - no need in spinning up the kids with the "you'll make new friends" speech if it's not good.. tough enough dropping the nugget to the wife she maybe packing up the household again for the third time in four years. She gets on google/yahoo to scope out the southern California area/lifestyle, communities and schools. They crunch the numbers, maybe ask the agent to try and get a little bump up. They look over the terms again, maybe try for a 3 year deal instead of the standard 2 year for assistants... Bohn laughs at the agent on the phone. McGuire tells his wife the best and final from USC, they sleep on it... then break the news to the kids - there's crying, shouting, slamming doors, more crying, more shouting about "how life isn't fair", more crying, more shouting, promises of friends coming to visit, discussions about "making new friends" and seeing celebrities and going to Disneyland... then overnight the quiet realization that you're moving to California... I'd expect the drama to conclude before mid-week.

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  5. mattinNYC

mattinNYC Points Member

Jan 25, 2021
    This is somebody's buddy being hired. This is not a great hire. If he's an OL coach, show me the running backs that have thrived in his system(s). Not impressed that Wazzu and Tex Tech employed him. Not impressed at all......

6. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 26, 2021
    On a tangent - I always kind of suspected that the reason coaches that are well-known as fairly mediocre at their jobs continue to get opportunities after opportunities is because the number of people willing to live the nomadic lifestyle of a coach is fairly small. Also, the number of wives willing to put up with their husbands' nomadic lifestyles are even smaller.

You could point at the salaries of NFL or major college coaches and say, "well, the money can sure soften the blow of moving so much!," but I think that very few people get into the coaching profession with the goal of becoming rich. They do it because they love their sport and because they love teaching it. If they happen to be good enough to get to the higher and more lucrative levels, then that's great, but it's almost similar to the acting profession - you have the relatively small number of A-listers, then there's basically everyone else scrambling for character roles.

Hopefully McGuire joins this raggedy ensemble cast and we can put together a good run, but our leading man is still not leading man material...